368 posts plop
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
kimonothemes says

As a buyer, I’ve been consistent in saying the prices should go up but only if Envato improves on their end.

Now, let’s see if Envato uses the money wisely and gets a, ahem, more thorough review process to make sure themes actually work as advertised or just aren’t simply stolen from another author and renamed.

For 50 bucks, I’m actually going to expect the theme to work out of the box from now on…not three weeks later for version 1.1 after 100+ customers help an author bang the bugs out of their own theme. Cheers.

Heya Cline123 ;)

On every single product on earth there is always bugs. There is no such thing as bug-free code.

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
LucidStudios says

I think the increase was out of proportions, the sales are suffering badly.

548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

As a buyer, I’ve been consistent in saying the prices should go up but only if Envato improves on their end.

Now, let’s see if Envato uses the money wisely and gets a, ahem, more thorough review process to make sure themes actually work as advertised or just aren’t simply stolen from another author and renamed.

For 50 bucks, I’m actually going to expect the theme to work out of the box from now on…not three weeks later for version 1.1 after 100+ customers help an author bang the bugs out of their own theme. Cheers.

Heya Cline123 ;)
On every single product on earth there is always bugs. There is no such thing as bug-free code.

So then you think the “no support required” line that’s always being pointed to in the forums and by Envato’s own terms is B.S.?

Because what you’re saying is every theme will absolutely have bugs and not work 100 percent at version 1, then every theme absolutely must have some level of support or everyone gets refunds right? Sounds like we both agree then that the company line of “no support required” should be changed right this minute :D Just trying to make sense out of what you just said ;) Cheers.

126 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
matt5409 says

As someone who has spent approx. $2,000 here, I think it’s a scandal that some buyers are whinging about the price increase. Paying around £30 for an entire site, coded brilliantly and supported well, is just unimaginably good. I don’t buy themes because I haven’t got the ability to design and code them myself, I buy them because they literally save me 100’s of hours. The value on that can’t easily be measured.

Anyone moaning about an extra $10 needs to get a f*cking grip.

Dan

having only recently ventured into this, coming from a design agency background, this is probably the most sensible thing i’ve read on TF ever. our day rate as an agency is £675 (and that’s middle of the road), so for some of the work you get on here, the value is unspeakably good. as a client, this place is potentially a GOLDMINE because standards a high, innovation is pushed, and prices are insanely low.

126 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
matt5409 says

If Envato slowly increased rates over the years instead of doing one large jump, then buyers wouldn’t be freaking out.

good point on doing things incrementally. it’s human nature to reject noticeable changes, so to creep up the prices might be a better idea (inflation and all that!).

368 posts plop
+8 more
kimonothemes says

So then you think the “no support required” line that’s always being pointed to in the forums and by Envato’s own terms is B.S.?

Because what you’re saying is every theme will absolutely have bugs and not work 100 percent at version 1, then every theme absolutely must have some level of support or everyone gets refunds right? Sounds like we both agree then that the company line of “no support required” should be changed right this minute :D Just trying to make sense out of what you just said ;) Cheers.

Theme will always work like the live preview. Buyers sometime have different need, and try lots of stuff that maybe the author didn’t test. As theme generally made by one guy, it’s hard to test every single possibility out there. Not saying that it shouldn’t work, but something it need a little fix. It’s the buyers work to have pre sale question asking exactly what they need and if it’s possible or not.

At least author made updates right? Can you imagine if it wasn’t the case? :)

548 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

I see what you’re saying. I couldn’t agree more about the fact that it will work exactly as the demo and as the buyer, it’s up to us to ask pre-sales questions no doubt :)

True, I’ve NEVER bought a theme that has not been supported.

However, I HAVE bought themes that are no longer around because they should have never made it through the review process ;)

I’ve also bought themes where basic functions such as the logo uploader not working…now that doesn’t bother me because I’m not a noob. But imagine the guy who is and the very first thing he does is try to upload a logo but has to wait at least a day for an update?

Are you telling me this author (one of the top sellers here) could not be bother to test and see if his admin panel worked correctly? Are you saying a reviewer couldn’t be bothered to check the very first thing someone might try to do with the theme? C’mon ;)

That’s why it just doesn’t make any sense to have the “No Support Required” disclaimer as we all know it is indeed B.S. ;)

741 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Price increase is understandable – but for designers ur not just selling 35 theme to one person. envato is allowing you and us to sell multiple times on one item – so if you make really nice theme – 3000 sales of 35 dollars brings you good money.

I was buying one / two themes a week just to buy and play with. Haven’t bought one since the increase simply because its too much unless I have a designated use for it.

Also as i stated earlier – I honestly see all of these themes the same in past few weeks. Not a lot of WOW factor coming out lately – Responsive themes are great, but not much other than the typical 960 grid look – predictable menu in the header – jquery slider of some sort – then your typical 3 call out boxes-or four underneath – then some more typical stuff – then the same looking footer that everyone has. As a coder – I just go and grab code and punch it in…where are the retro looking sites that are the fad now? Where are the music themes, there are 8000 photography templates and 15 restaurant templates…look if I see a theme like that – I will pay 100 for. My point is the quality – I know the work that goes in because I’m learning quickly – where are theatre themes? Irish pub themes, racing themes, Nightclub themes – are these too hard to design? As a designer I listen to the buyers. And again I don’t see a problem with the increase… I’m just more picky now….and as a designer – I’m not feeling a lot of the product coming out – Just my feelings.

actually we have one for WP corporate category. and have hope to release it in the end of this week ;)

then we’ll see is there any sense to do something decent in terms of design uniqueness and quality… or maybe TF became only a responsive-minimal-clone factory.

368 posts plop
+8 more
kimonothemes says

Are you telling me this author (one of the top sellers here) could not be bother to test and see if his admin panel worked correctly? Are you saying a reviewer couldn’t be bothered to check the very first thing someone might try to do with the theme? C’mon ;)

1. No, that kind of function must work indeed, you are right. But sometimes bugs come from nowhere for some people, and there is a lots of parameters… permissions, conflict with plugins, shitty host, ...

2. I don’t know how they review files :)

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

.... That’s why it just doesn’t make any sense to have the “No Support Required” disclaimer as we all know it is indeed B.S. ;)

Actually you pointed about bug, surely it needs a fix and response from the author. However I afraid that should not be mixed with the concept of support in general. So far in most of the author’s dictionary, support means “optional/voluntary help”. May be Envato’s wordings should elaborate more on this.

Btw, even most supportive authors (on custom changes) may have too many bugs (left as it is) on file and authors with intense testing may not support files :D

by
by
by
by
by
by