• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Tean says

I think the increase was out of proportions, the sales are suffering badly.

That the Euro fault :P

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
crozer says

Also as i stated earlier – I honestly see all of these themes the same in past few weeks. Not a lot of WOW factor coming out lately [...]

The price increased wasn’t aimed at a time-span of a few weeks. Themes were sold at US$35+ from the day TF started. If you see some early themes and compare them to the features our themes have nowadays, the difference is drastic. That’s why price had to be, understandably, increased.

42 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
djmceltic says

I do about 20 websites a year. A really well written theme, I can mod in 2-3 days and have the client very happy in less than a week. A poorly written theme or one with tons of bugs… Might take a week before I can get it working to a basic level. I would pay $50-$100 easy if I was assured that a theme worked correctly.

I think there should be a set of guidelines for a theme. If they reach those they can charge more… If they don’t they go to 20-35. As an developer I am tired of beta testing themes. And when envato tells me to contact author with bugs it makes me livid. I didn’t buy the them so it can work in a month.

And for authors who defend crappy themes saying that customization isn’t expected and the theme should only work like demo… You make end users like me not want to buy from you. Not everything can be demo’ed. There should be some basic expectations that things like featured image, post truncation, some sort of help building homepage, and so on should work. If they don’t work why wouldn’t I just grab your stylesheet and put it on a free theme?

62 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United States
agent8 says

here’s what i suggest – keeping the prices $30-$45 each. adding some add-on puchases like advanced theme support – for $15-$20 custom page design for small modifications $30 i dont know – u get my point.

all themes should come with clear instructions on how to set up homepage, add media, create pages – because each template is a little different in features – Ive bought themes that i was lost because of poor instructions – and i know html/css/php --im just not following how they made functions work – or how they chose to set it up.

envato needs to step it up and get update notifications – or a better way to notify buyers an update has been given.

I also have noticed some themes going out way to early – needing more work – leaving the end user frustrated. I see change logs without dates as well.

62 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United States
agent8 says

Also as i stated earlier – I honestly see all of these themes the same in past few weeks. Not a lot of WOW factor coming out lately [...]
The price increased wasn’t aimed at a time-span of a few weeks. Themes were sold at US$35+ from the day TF started. If you see some early themes and compare them to the features our themes have nowadays, the difference is drastic. That’s why price had to be, understandably, increased.

In March April / May there was variety coming out – I look for unique things – I understand what your saying – what Im saying is I feel there is enough of the same on here already – you know when u design – Envato tells you what they need and what they don’t need – I think they need more specialty themes for restaurants, nightclubs, musicians, etc – i see those templates have sold very well. Look Ive been here since 2007 so I do watch the changes

42 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
djmceltic says

Does envato understand that buyers will buy more if they actually know what they are getting????

I would buy 5-10 themes just to have a reserve. But I don’t know what the hell I am getting into everytime I buy something. Some are great, some suck, some have issues, some aren’t ready….

My suggestions: 1. Authors should be required to make documentation available prebuy. 2. Authors should have a test site. 3. 24 hour test window—I know that people could abuse this so there would have to be more to it. 4. Envato have experienced users test new themes (obviously their QAing isn’t catching everythign) 5. Envato create theme tiers. Adjust pricing according to tiers. Let user tiers be decided by both theme functions and user feedback. If a theme did everything it promised to do—without customization would I pay $20 more. FOR SURE .

28 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Portugal
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
GhostMaster says

I dont think its that, since the price incrases the sçaes are lower… Thats a fact.

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

And for authors who defend crappy themes saying that customization isn’t expected and the theme should only work like demo… You make end users like me not want to buy from you. Not everything can be demo’ed. There should be some basic expectations that things like featured image, post truncation, some sort of help building homepage, and so on should work. If they don’t work why wouldn’t I just grab your stylesheet and put it on a free theme?

Ok, let me tell you how it works. In the real world, i.e. an agency, a spec is delivered to the client which they sign off. The agency then needs to fulfill every aspect of that spec as a deliverable. Additions cost extra, bugs are free fixes.

On TF, your spec is effectively what you see in the demo. sure, there are expectations that if you drop additional images in it WON ’T break, but really, if something does break the requirement is then on you to either fix it, or pay to have it fixed.

Honestly, your argument is comparable to buying a Big Mac and expecting to get double the filling for free. You get what you see on the picture; no more and no less.

988 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

Ok, let me tell you how it works. In the real world, i.e. an agency, a spec is delivered to the client which they sign off. The agency then needs to fulfill every aspect of that spec as a deliverable. Additions cost extra, bugs are free fixes.

On TF, your spec is effectively what you see in the demo. sure, there are expectations that if you drop additional images in it WON ’T break, but really, if something does break the requirement is then on you to either fix it, or pay to have it fixed.

Honestly, your argument is comparable to buying a Big Mac and expecting to get double the filling for free. You get what you see on the picture; no more and no less.

As an author I can’t agree with you. Everyone who sells themes here should have it bug free, if something like logo upload or inserting image breaks theme, that’s unacceptable. And you really can’t make perfect theme, there always be bugs, but if you want to be succesfull author, you should fix every one of them asap. Buying theme with parts that don’t work is like buying BigMac with no filling, you’ll get refund or another one if you will complain.

1676 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Tean says

I dont think its that, since the price incrases the sçaes are lower… Thats a fact.

I am not sure about TF, but sales appear to be down on codecanyon from before price change, and there was no price change there.

by
by
by
by
by
by