1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

This sounds like good news. There’s no doubt every item could do with with a price bump – great stuff if it is indeed happening – but I do hope authors don’t have to include teleporters in every theme to justify a higher price. By teleporters of course I mean 635 shortcodes, 45 sliders, 675 theme options, 24 portfolio layouts, kitchen sinks and their granny. Pricing, and therefore competition, based on feature count sounds a bit pants, so I’m sure authors would be disappointed to see it go that route – I know I would.
+ 10000000
157 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
onioneye says

This sounds like good news. There’s no doubt every item could do with with a price bump – great stuff if it is indeed happening – but I do hope authors don’t have to include teleporters in every theme to justify a higher price. By teleporters of course I mean 635 shortcodes, 45 sliders, 675 theme options, 24 portfolio layouts, kitchen sinks and their granny.

Pricing, and therefore competition, based on feature count sounds a bit pants, so I’m sure authors would be disappointed to see it go that route – I know I would.

Still think you should allow authors to set their own prices, within a bracket which you define perhaps. We’re all grown folk around here, sometimes.

Ditto. I don’t want to bloat my themes with unnecessary code/features, that my clients don’t actually need, just to get a higher price on my items. That would totally and utterly suck.

“Keep it simple, stupid!” principle is the one I currently abide, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
MelforDMThemes says

This sounds like good news. There’s no doubt every item could do with with a price bump – great stuff if it is indeed happening – but I do hope authors don’t have to include teleporters in every theme to justify a higher price. By teleporters of course I mean 635 shortcodes, 45 sliders, 675 theme options, 24 portfolio layouts, kitchen sinks and their granny.

Pricing, and therefore competition, based on feature count sounds a bit pants, so I’m sure authors would be disappointed to see it go that route – I know I would.

Still think you should allow authors to set their own prices, within a bracket which you define perhaps. We’re all grown folk around here, sometimes.

Ditto. I don’t want to bloat my themes with unnecessary code/features, that my clients don’t actually need, just to get a higher price on my items. That would totally and utterly suck.

“Keep it simple, stupid!” principle is the one I currently abide, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Sure, but on the other hand, if I was somebody with a huge framework and a template builder, and see some simple as hell themes priced just as high, I would feel fooled. (Even tho it’s like that already if I take a look at Kriesi’s beasts and compare them to the simple ones of other famous authors that are priced higher.)

Cars that got USB instead of a simple radio or an air conditioner instead of just windows are priced higher as well, that’s only fair thinking about the time spent to develop such features. No?

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

I don’t want to bloat my themes with unnecessary code/features, that my clients don’t actually need, just to get a higher price on my items. That would totally and utterly suck.

Well, I don’t want to add 5 zillion features to make my template look “good enough” near the huge mass of other templates with the same price because they have 5 zillion features. A template price must reflect his features, at least by the number of utilities it has. Like, hm, multi-preseted templates… must be priced more.
At this moment there is like a race of how many things you can fit in a template for the same price. That makes simple templates look a little pale if they don’t come with tons of stuff, even they have an original design or something really different.

They need to make a price judging by the widget/plugin number the come with, number of default presets, number of options, number of bonus sub templates, etc…

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Well this is interesting and nice to see that Envato ARE listening – now the whole debate over features = price – I can see why this would be an initial good thought as it makes sense when compared to cars and features etc – but in the theme world I feel that design is equally important as features, to prove the point we now have the facebooks and googles of the world acquiring small agencies for their designers alone because people are now placing more benefit on good design to sell products and services, not just features.

I see the “kitchen sink” themes very much like those all-in-one items that have the radio, flash light, lighter, toothpick etc etc – nothing wrong with them if you need all that stuff at the same time in one convenient place, plus does it essential provide a better experience for the majority of buyers? Or is a simple, easy to use, well constructed and pixel perfectly designed theme worth the same…

Good luck everyone!

Jonathan

175 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
ThemePrince says

I don’t want to bloat my themes with unnecessary code/features, that my clients don’t actually need, just to get a higher price on my items. That would totally and utterly suck.

Well, I don’t want to add 5 zillion features to make my template look “good enough” near the huge mass of other templates with the same price because they have 5 zillion features. A template price must reflect his features, at least by the number of utilities it has. Like, hm, multi-preseted templates… must be priced more.
At this moment there is like a race of how many things you can fit in a template for the same price. That makes simple templates look a little pale if they don’t come with tons of stuff, even they have an original design or something really different.

They need to make a price judging by the widget/plugin number the come with, number of default presets, number of options, number of bonus sub templates, etc…

Wickedly well said!

17 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeZilla says

Give us a baseline e.g. $40 and an upper limit e.g. $70 and let us price our own products.

Features do not equal quality.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Give us a baseline e.g. $40 and an upper limit e.g. $70 and let us price our own products. Features do not equal quality.

But a bare bone template that every website looks the same cannot be priced as a template that puts out different looking websites.

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Pixelous says

Give us a baseline e.g. $40 and an upper limit e.g. $70 and let us price our own products. Features do not equal quality.

Orman, you have a lot of money, why are you so worried?

2578 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Orman, you have a lot of money, why are you so worried?

He is a businessman, so he wants to make more money. I want to as well.

by
by
by
by
by
by