• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Give us a baseline e.g. $40 and an upper limit e.g. $70 and let us price our own products. Features do not equal quality.
Orman, you have a lot of money, why are you so worried?

wha?

That’s got nothing to do with it – the whole purpose is correcting current pricing models that are too old in comparison to the level of product now being offered.

Jonathan

1564 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

Give us a baseline e.g. $40 and an upper limit e.g. $70 and let us price our own products. Features do not equal quality.

Agreed, I say just bring the pricing tool back for Elite authors.

3120 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

Features do not equal quality.

+100000000000000000000

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says

+100000000000000000000

Depends on how the features are implemented. If sufficient options are available to deactivate them if not needed. Then nothing wrong with a descent amount of features. This will bring a wider audience to your products.

Now a days we have to integrate certain features to compete with others. People won’t buy a theme if nothing is inside, no matter how good it looks.

Not saying envato should set prices based upon features. Maybe it’s just best to bring back the pricing tool back for Elite authors as many authors have requested.

78 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Romania
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
rubiqube says

Sure, but on the other hand, if I was somebody with a huge framework and a template builder, and see some simple as hell themes priced just as high, I would feel fooled. (Even tho it’s like that already if I take a look at Kriesi’s beasts and compare them to the simple ones of other famous authors that are priced higher.) Cars that got USB instead of a simple radio or an air conditioner instead of just windows are priced higher as well, that’s only fair thinking about the time spent to develop such features. No?

Sure, but on the other hand (I guess that would be the third hand :)), should my theme be priced lower because I do not create my own framework, but rather choose to use an existing one? My theme might not have a template builder or a glossy UI, but maybe it offers the same functionality using WordPress built in features, like menus, widgets, custom posts, galleries, etc.

If you ask me, this is the way a theme should be created, especially now when WordPress has come this far and provides a lot of flexibility. I also do understand some of these frameworks were created a long time ago out of the necessity of having that extra flexibility.

In conclusion… authors who put a lot of effort into creating their own framework will not change a formula / workflow that works. I wouldn’t either! I just don’t want this factor to be decisive in setting the price because newcomers will think this is what it takes to get a higher price. I want creativity to be a more important factor. And creativity is not just about design, it’s also about functionality or the way one leverages features that are already in WordPress and familiar to most users.

So a yeah… my post is basically a big thumbs up for Jonathan’s point: design should (also) matter. And to use the cars metaphor to prove this point: why is an Audi A4 way more expensive than let’s say a Ford Focus? They both share a lot of the same features.

3120 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

+100000000000000000000

Depends on how the features are implemented. If sufficient options are available to deactivate them if not needed. Then nothing wrong with a descent amount of features. This will bring a wider audience to your products.

Now a days we have to integrate certain features to compete with others. People won’t buy a theme if nothing is inside, no matter how good it looks.

Not saying envato should set prices based upon features. Maybe it’s just best to bring back the pricing tool back for Elite authors as many authors have requested.

honestly if they were to price based on features they would need to look at the code more thorough, most of the themes I’ve seen with the “kitchen sink” are coded pretty poorly and don’t follow proper WordPress conventions they try recreating multiple functions that already exist in the core, as well as don’t take full advantage of the hooks/actions.. IMO bad practices shouldn’t be given a higher price

2004 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

So a yeah… my post is basically a big thumbs up for Jonathan’s point: design should (also) matter. And to use the cars metaphor to prove this point: why is an Audi A4 way more expensive than let’s say a Ford Focus? They both share a lot of the same features.

German engineering.

78 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Romania
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
rubiqube says

German engineering.

Ha ha, nice! So much for that metaphor to prove my point, cause engineering is more like the backbone, the coding. ;)

Anyhow… lots of good examples out there of products with great design and usability priced higher than the competition, even though they have similar features. Don’t wanna say the A word, cause then we’ll definitely shift this thread in another direction, but most of you got one of their products in your pocket. Or on your fancy docks. :)

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says

+100000000000000000000

honestly if they were to price based on features they would need to look at the code more thorough, most of the themes I’ve seen with the “kitchen sink” are coded pretty poorly and don’t follow proper WordPress conventions they try recreating multiple functions that already exist in the core, as well as don’t take full advantage of the hooks/actions.. IMO bad practices shouldn’t be given a higher price

Your not reading further then my first paragraph.

967 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

Orman, you have a lot of money, why are you so worried?

I love this kind of attitude.. Did you check his wallet? Man, I’m sorry but I can’t see good future in business for you with that thinking;)

Anyway, I’m really happy that something is changing it terms of pricing. Each of 6 last months for me is better than previous one. I don’t want to sound greedy, but still, more money is more money :D

by
by
by
by
by
by