• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
Dirtyflint says
All music has “bars” except really off the wall minimalist music that uses custom symbol notation or other weird stuff to notate the music.
Yes, i know it. I asked: 8 bars of kick and clap only + 8 bars kick, clap and hat + 8 bars kick, clap, hat and bass etc – this good for buyer, or bad?
1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says
8 bars intro alone

next 8 bars intro + high hat/kicks

next 8 bars all the prior, plus into/high hat/bass/

next 8 bars the “hook”/guitar/melody line

next 8 bars change up to verse 2 from chorus

Sorry, but… If the trance track has these “bars”, it is good or bad? =)))

Personally I like it, if it has say 4-6 sequential 8-12 bar different measures that sound different; usually it’s layered to build up… like bass first, then bass + drums, then bass + drums + melody, then change up to a different melody etc, then something else, then a closer/outro stinger at end… that’s good because I can chop it into measures/loops if I need for using it in production.

273 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+1 more
soundroll says
8 bars intro alone

next 8 bars intro + high hat/kicks

next 8 bars all the prior, plus into/high hat/bass/

next 8 bars the “hook”/guitar/melody line

next 8 bars change up to verse 2 from chorus

Sorry, but… If the trance track has these “bars”, it is good or bad? =)))
Personally I like it, if it has say 4-6 sequential 8-12 bar different measures that sound different; usually it’s layered to build up… like bass first, then bass + drums, then bass + drums + melody, then change up to a different melody etc, then something else, then a closer/outro stinger at end… that’s good because I can chop it into measures/loops if I need for using it in production.

It is called – “construction kit”. It could be “good” for one buyer that want to play with the mix, but on the other side, it could be “bad” for others who don’t want it. If some potential buyer start listening to the preview – how long he will listen to the punch/chorus? We sell here stock music and you must get attention of the buyer from the first second. If you (composer) want to make “construction kit”, then include loops in your zip file and describe it in the file description. But to make your main file with 40 bars of kicks and hi-hats doesn’t sound to me. Just my opinion and expirience as a seller on many rf sites.

395 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Dirtyflint says

bcrutchfield, graphic4444, soundroll Thanks for explanations, guys!

334 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
unseenbattle Volunteer moderator says

Hey guys, and especially graphic4444…

I just wanted to say that all of the thoughts from a buyer’s perspective have been more than valuable to me as an author.

All the stuff about the structure of a track (mentioned above) is truly invaluable insight. I’m still learning and am planning on updating all of my tracks as soon as I can to implement a bunch of stuff I recently learned; this “purposeful layering with the buyer in mind” being one of them.

Also, I had never considered (and still don’t) making any of my tracks longer just for the sake of the dollar. For whatever reason it doesn’t make sense to me as an author. For example, if I’ve written a loop, it is just that, a loop, so if it’s 8 bars then the track should be 8 bars long. If the song evolves over a longer period of time, then it evolves until it’s over. Just a thought from an authors perspective, though I do understand what you were saying.

Thanks again guys… and as always this is the most useful community I’ve ever been a part of.

240 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+4 more
BCrutchfield Reviewer says

Yeah, I’d really like to thank graphic4444 as well, being able to see what an AJ buyer thinks is pretty rare and it is really good insight.

I also, like unseenbattle, don’t stretch out songs via looping or other ways, and it is simply because I think tracks that have musical integrity and purpose will sell better than a 30 second track looped 10 times. I have had a few tracks in my portfolio that have ended up being around 58 seconds, or 1 minute 57 seconds, and I could have easily just lowered the BPM in logic by 1 BPM , or just extended that last reverb tail out another few seconds, and reached the next pricing bracket, but I didn’t because it just isn’t honest, and I’d rather stay true to my original ideas for my tracks.

289 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
rtofvnt says
... I could have easily just lowered the BPM in logic by 1 BPM , or just extended that last reverb tail out another few seconds, and reached the next pricing bracket, but I didn’t because it just isn’t honest, and I’d rather stay true to my original ideas for my tracks….

That would be proper cheating :-) Don’t do such things master!

Cheerio – Matt.

1117 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says

Hello All

great discussion here as allways.

Same for me, why should i “detroy” a track by extending it for the sake of a few cents ? If it’s a boring piece of music then, nobody will buy it because of that AND the high price.

Keep on rocking everyone ;)

688 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
robGD Volunteer moderator says

@SoundRoll:

Good point. I include the full track first, then any parts I want to include to add value. You can be on both sides of the fence and the buyer can pick what they want to do with it.

1117 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says
@SoundRoll: Good point. I include the full track first, then any parts I want to include to add value. You can be on both sides of the fence and the buyer can pick what they want to do with it.

Exactly, this is what i did as well with a few of my tracks i uploaded.

by
by
by
by
by
by