491 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
SiliconWorldAD says
I’m on shutterstock and istock right now which have very high standards, higher than this site, although this site has higher standards than dreamstime or bigstock, but anyway I think the pricing of very basic elements is too much. I’m essentially trying to make things by searching for basic textures like “stone” or basic graphics like “stars” and see what this site is missing, and in my opinion there isn’t as much bang for you buck in many of those basic areas. The mode value for singe pictures seems to be $3, but really I don’t think they should be priced that high, they aren’t particularly artistic compared to really high end photos. I’m not saying anyone is a bad artist or anything, but I see many basic areas lacking a lot of sales, I searched “stone” and in my opinion these basic pictures are not particularly artistic or appealing, photos like http://graphicriver.net/item/pebbles/4258389?WT.ac=search_thumb&WT.seg_1=search_thumb&WT.z_author=tukkki http://graphicriver.net/item/pink-painted-brick-wall/4267963?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=H2Oshka http://graphicriver.net/item/background-from-high-detailed-fragment-stone-wall/4267701?WT.ac=search_thumb&WT.seg_1=search_thumb&WT.z_author=H2Oshka

But If I look at istock and search stone or stone-textures I get much more artistic results

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-7042359-pebbles-in-water-ii.php?st=67ef12e http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-18309361-background-texture-blank-slate.php?st=1a551cc http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-6570024-smooth-sand-stone-beach-at-water-s-edge.php?st=1a551cc which often have nice shading. So I think something shouldn’t be attributed with being worth $3 just for the sake of having a default price of $3, if it’s only marketable to sell for $1 then it should be sold for $1 or rejected, quality and artistic-ness should be involved more in graphic river’s pricing. I mean I like this site, this site looks cool and has a nice modern feel to it, it should have more high quality or artistic graphics like other successful royalty-free graphic sites.
1007 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
Alexlasek says

In my opinion, here on graphicriver, when you buy an item, paying $3, you get much more than on istock. Compare the size and resolution.

you can also pay $1 for a photo (xs size) but go to photodune

cheers

491 posts
SiliconWorldAD says

You can change the size on istock as well, but just overall it seems like istock’s and shutterstock’s quality is better than this site for basic designs and textures. I mean a graphic designer can go take a picture of cement but it will cost the company a little time, which is why there’s sites like this, but even considering that I wouldn’t be happy to pay $3 for the first stone textures that came up in my search.

284 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
unlockedart says

Go to photodune and search stone, you get much better results and istock charges way way way to much for a basic photo. I mean some of them ar $15 and up which is just way to much. Photodune is a great place to find photos at a great price.

365 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
krafti says

they are many categories you can make a own marketplace out… like they should make texturedesert or something, where they can take more care about details like that.

491 posts
SiliconWorldAD says

Yeah I guess photodune is better, but there’s gotta be some reason why every pictures has 0 sales when I search “stone” meanwhile overcharged $15 photos have more sales.

273 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
candeed says

In my opinion… sometimes there are people who prefer to buy different pictures from a not so popular place (although those pictures are not so professional if compared to popular microstock’s pictures).

Too many pictures from big microstock sites. They are so common, popular and many people use them.

While most people love to listen Rihanna, Taylor Swift, and Katty Perry, there some people who prefer to enjoy listening Lenka, Camera Obscura, She & Him, and so on.

(Anyway don’t you think that linking to other similar marketplace in Envato forum is forbidden? I think your thread will be deleted soon. :grin: .)

1731 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

PhotoDune has only launched since end-2011 while iStock had been in the industry from 2000. I don’t want to compare between the quality or the sales of the two sites because I think a large number of stock photographers haven’t know about PD yet. Also, a large number of traditional photography stock buyer haven’t known about PD. We need more time to grow up in the industry and meanwhile, you guys buyer have a lot more options so just choose what suits you most ;)

491 posts
SiliconWorldAD says

Ok well I guess if it’s that new then that would account for a bit. Btw, why wouldn’t graphic river and photodune combine? Why can’t I just have a single site and use a search filter for “vectors’ or something if I want vectors over photos?

273 posts
  • Exclusive Author
candeed says

.. Btw, why wouldn’t graphic river and photodune combine? Why can’t I just have a single site and use a search filter for “vectors’ or something if I want vectors over photos?

Funny you asked this, since many exclusive graphicriver authors actually want vectors to be separated from graphicriver instead. :grin: so unique and high quality items can gain more exposure.

by
by
by
by
by
by