469 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+3 more
KrazyKartoons says

Hello Guys!

If you’ll check out my VH content, you’ll notice that it is very… “weird” compare to regular After Effects Projects / Backgrounds etc.. That we see daily around here and most of it because it’s classic frame-by-frame animation based.

Basically when I’m working on even a very short project it takes a very long time to complete, again.. frame-by-frame… my minimum fps is 25 sometimes 30 so just imagine how much work per few seconds include coloring, tone, highlights and other layers on every layer.

So I’m wondering how would the price per project decided by the reviewers.
Is it based ONLY on the length of the project?
or maybe on other things?

I’m asking because the final length of a project isn’t always what the buyer is looking for, if you’ll have a look on some of my projects you’ll understand that they are Dynamic and Loopable so they are more open for the creativity of the user (I always think what I would buy and use, before I create a new content).

Maybe you can tell me what should I do in order to get some more sales (and I’m not talking about promotion on this deduction) I’m talking about NEW FRESH CONTENT I should create on my free time, I do have some ideas and I will make them but… it takes lots of time to complete and the prices for my EXTREMELY HARD WORK for classic animated frame-by-frame animations are not even worth the selling…

I know that I’m not a successful seller around VH (yet) maybe because of my WEIRD content but I’m wondering about your opinions and about how it works (price per project based on..?)

I would like to hear you out, suggestions, answers and anything else.

Thanks ahead and sorry about my bad English. :)

1615 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

The price is weirdest thing in here… I had same question for one of my projects that I worked on for longer than month.. but I left that quoestion for myself. Because it’s not for us to question the decidion of the mighty ones who are on top :)))) just joking..

anyway, I have project called Retro Brand Show Promo, and I worked very long time to make it. it is all made in AE, all editable. While other 3D prjects are prerendered and there are just very few things that you can change.

So.. and the price given to this project is 15$...

I have no idea why such price, but I have no doubt there is a logical and good reason why it is as it is.

267 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+3 more
VinhSonNguyen says

I completely agree with you cyzer, unfortunately how long it takes you to make a project doesn’t mean it’s a better product to meet demands on VideoHive which probably made them price it a little lower than you expected. It happens to me too!

Strangely enough, some of my short term projects made 3x more sales than my long hard projects. Whatever the customers want :)

(It probably also has something to do with specifications. If you’re spending a lot of time on a project, you’re usually making it pretty precise and aimed towards a category that the ‘general people’ dont really need at the moment. E.g. awesome space stuff. A project may be an awesome project but it may not be an awesome seller.)

1105 posts inlifethrill
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
InlifeThrill says

Hello, in my experience the price tag is not at all based on the time you spend on a project.. simply cause that time is a variable and can be different for each author thus it cannot be a criteria for price evaluation + the reviewer can never know how long it took you to finish it. It is a complex mixture of design skills and technical execution in AE. New ideas (at least new to the marketplace..) are always encouraged by the staff. All those combined should result in a fluent piece of work/art which is to be remembered by the message it brings. Great and detailed support files also add to the overall picture. Many authors here take some quality time to prepare pdfs, htmls, video tuts etc. so that the clients get maximum use of the templates. Consider it a work flow, not a list of things to do.

Hope this helps.

-inlife

469 posts
+3 more
KrazyKartoons says

I agree, I don’t think that the price should be based on the time we spend on making the project, But I did mention it because some people are spending lots of time and don’t know if this specific project worth creating at all, consider the time to spend on instead of other project.
That’s why I always think what will I NEED / USE (as a buyer) before I create any project at all.

But I’m still wondering how would the price per project decided by the reviewers.
Is it based ONLY on the length of the project? (not the time we spend creating it)
or maybe on other things? (if yes, what they are?)

• Sorry about my bad English
4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

^Think of this Alon ,in flash(AD)animation are been sold on a very low price as to the rest of the other App`s even if sometime animation frame-by-frame take a very long time to make .

The problem you describe is well known on the Envato market with anim` frame-by-frame it is a very strict pattern or something unique which is very hard to customize by the end user buyers.

On overall animation frame-by-frame don’t sell well even on a low price and that’s a fact. Your so say WEIRD content is not WEIRD all, it’s a bit unique i think but again its very strict on the modification.

if you ask me in most case price is base on the length of the project same as AJ market ,unless its unique

469 posts
+3 more
KrazyKartoons says

Thanks for the reply tsafi :)
Maybe I should make more projects like my latest project: “EVILIUM – Original Anime Template” which is frame-by-frame animated but easy to custom compare to more dynamic animations I’ve produced for more open projects such as “Captain Mini-Ninja”.

I will have to try make some more interesting / useful projects, there is always a place for improving and make better useful content for the users :)

4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

^ I’ll tell you this …18 month ago AD market was the biggest on the envato group we saw there tons of stuff, but again unique stuff that will blow you away with lots of PSD AI use in flash just didn’t do well in sells ,if you take EVILIUM AE its base on a main motion image so you are strict ,if I buy it the second person who will buy it we will have the same file idea without the ability to do much on the modification vers` other files on VH you can just drift your self in the world of parameters and modification and turn the file 180 from its original and that’s why buyer`s like the option, its apply to VH/AD/TF that’s a big part of the file success .

I know where you are coming from and i have check your website and i can speak your weirdo lang` as a bounce :P ,you are a classic example for a freelancer that do great custom stuff but on the envato market it’s a different story, you need to understand what buyer wants and then adapt your style into your file if you want to focuses more on the VH market.+ i know some killers people making a great living from the envato market from your country and that`s all they do ,and i know how hard is to make money there as animator .

p.s.

it’s just my thought in general nothing personal of comprehensible as direct to your work ,I just elevate you as example .

469 posts
+3 more
KrazyKartoons says

Thank you for the great tips guys. I really appreciate it!

placdarms – “I have also seen projects where users claim they have worked 6-8 hours on it. I know i could make the same thing in 15min and I’m sorry for author who has somehow managed to extend this to such amount.”

I know what you mean, but in frame-by-frame 2D animation there are no short cuts, there’s no way I can do a minute of animation in few hours… but that’s ok, I like work as hard as I can since I’m a perfectionist hehe ;)

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in India
cvhsoftwares says

Pricing should never be based on how much time you spent creating it.

For example to build windows xp it took 50,000 engineers and 5 years, but still it is sold for $120

by
by
by
by
by
by