• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
AmigoProductions says

I’m trying to figure out the reason for the low sales on latest template –
http://videohive.net/item/goodle-now/4535333

I know it’s been only two weeks since it’s release, but I have to admit I was expecting a higher amount of sales by now. Basically the question is what in your opinion is the reason for the low sales?

• Is the price to high?
  • Is the template not as good as I thought?

One thing that also crossed my mind was the presence of the corporate bundle which was active at the time.. Tons of items sold for $20 while my template is sold for $25.. Hmm.. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
175 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
NOVAPLUS says

Hello! I saw your animation preview. They look pretty item that should cost a bit expensive. But I think they must like less because demand would be customers who usually buy their need. I have seen that the duration is quite long and some buyers are identified by the long time do not know the product and cut the elements work for your need …. It’s just my opinion. Have a little patience while doing other templates …

5035 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

It’s one of those things about Videohive…

I’ve been working in design for nearly 20 years. I know my clients’ needs pretty much inside-out. But when it comes to Videohive, I have to admit that I really can’t understand what drives sales.

Over on Audiojungle, there’s an artist I like that has produced two very similar tracks, released at about the same time. One has sold over 300 and one has sold once. WHY? I have items that I consider to be of a similar quality and in a similar style with 16x difference in sales. WHY?

I think that how people act in crowds can be very unpredictable. If a person were to look at two templates and say I think that Template A has a quality of 92% and Template B of 85%, you might naturally expect Template B to have 85 sales to Template A’s 92. But suppose everyone thinks the same… everyone will buy Template A. And especially once it becomes clear that A is selling better than B, the effect will become self-reinforcing. Now think about it across the entire market-place… It can explain all this sales weirdness.

Now in terms of your template, think what potential buyers might be looking for… something with an iPad in it. They’ll search on that and find – wow… a 3D, highly designed, highly dynamic iPad presentation that’s in the top sellers on the Hive. If they look any further, which they probably won’t, they’ll probably find the hosts of imitators.

Apart from the subject matter, I think you have made your template highly customizable, which has put the price up. I don’t think that graphically or in terms of movement or concept, that it belongs amongst the top projects. I would concentrate more on design and animation, and less on endless customization possibilities. Customers respond to the first, not the second. And they only find out about the second AFTER they’ve bought. Sure, the second factor will keep them coming back to you, but as an initial impulse to buy? What’s the point of 25 billion customization options if I’m not sold on the way it looks? ...And be wary of endless customization options. I have a hunch that that scares some customers off – sounds complicated. At the end of the day, they’re here because they don’t want to make creative decisions (beyond selecting a template in the first place).

For your next template, make something that grabs people in the first 10 seconds and shakes them. Make something that’s a virtuoso piece of mograph, from a design and movement perspective. If you do that, there’s a high chance that you’ll sell at least 50-100 times over the course of a year or two.

AmigoProductions
AmigoProductions Recent Posts Threads Started
142 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
AmigoProductions says
Felt_tips as usual, your reply is simply fantastic in terms of depth and details.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

I think that how people act in crowds can be very unpredictable. If a person were to look at two templates and say I think that Template A has a quality of 92% and Template B of 85%, you might naturally expect Template B to have 85 sales to Template A’s 92. But suppose everyone thinks the same… everyone will buy Template A. And especially once it becomes clear that A is selling better than B, the effect will become self-reinforcing. Now think about it across the entire market-place… It can explain all this sales weirdness.

This is a very very interesting point. I never thought about it that way.

Now in terms of your template, think what potential buyers might be looking for… something with an iPad in it. They’ll search on that and find: wow… a 3D, highly designed, highly dynamic iPad presentation that’s in the top sellers on the Hive.

What I was thinking when I used a Nexus tablet instead of an iPad was that buyers might be happy to see an item using something different than apple devices. And also at the time, Google now was only available for Android phones which I figured was also another reason to use a Nexus 7.

Apart from the subject matter, I think you have made your template highly customizable, which has put the price up. I don’t think that graphically or in terms of movement or concept, that it belongs amongst the top projects. I would concentrate more on design and animation, and less on endless customization possibilities. Customers respond to the first, not the second. And they only find out about the second AFTER they’ve bought. Sure, the second factor will keep them coming back to you, but as an initial impulse to buy? What’s the point of 25 billion customization options if I’m not sold on the way it looks? ...And be wary of endless customization options. I have a hunch that that scares some customers off, sounds complicated. At the end of the day, they’re here because they don’t want to make creative decisions (beyond selecting a template in the first place).

I tend to agree with you on this. Perhaps I need to stop thinking of buyers as avid After Effects users who want the template to be as customizable as possible. Even though I did my best to make this template Super easy to customize and provided a very detailed video tutorial.. I guess most buyers, as you said, are just looking to buy something which can be modified quickly and easily without thinking too much about options and creative decisions. From now on I’ll try to put myself in the shoes of that type of client.

For your next template, make something that grabs people in the first 10 seconds and shakes them. Make something that’s a virtuoso piece of mograph, from a design and movement perspective. If you do that, there’s a high chance that you’ll sell at least 50-100 times over the course of a year or two.

You’re right about that too.. My top sold templates are the ones that grab the attention in the first 10 seconds. I’ll keep it in mind for my next template.

Hello! I saw your animation preview. They look pretty item that should cost a bit expensive. But I think they must like less because demand would be customers who usually buy their need. I have seen that the duration is quite long and some buyers are identified by the long time do not know the product and cut the elements work for your need …. It’s just my opinion. Have a little patience while doing other templates …

Hey NOVAPLUS and thanks for your reply! You have a good point regarding the preview. It’s actually very interesting to see the audience retention graph in the Youtube preview of this video, It’s starts with 100% retention and at 1:35 there is a very steep drop. i.e. when the first example video is over and the second one starts. Maybe I should consider re-editing the preview to be much shorter.

I’ve learned some very interesting things from this template. Apart from the very fun and satisfying process of creating it (I love Google so it was great studying their design), I’ve came to a few conclusion that I think will really help me when planing my next templates. And who knows, perhaps this template will start getting sales someday :) As Felt_tips said – “But when it comes to Videohive, I have to admit that I really can’t understand what drives sales.”

by
by
by
by
by
by