1566 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Dear Envato staff and authors,

I would like to discuss pricing guidlines and practices here. My thoughts are about stock footage (where I am mostly) but I think other authors may add something for other categories too.

My opinion that there are huge discrepancies for the pricing here. Price basicly depend on resolution and how many items if it is bundle.
Let me outline several examples of great videos and other examples (where I’ll put some critical comments) for the same price. In my evaluation I may be not always correct since I seen previews only. And nothing against any of the author (all authors are great!) it is more about pricing and review guidlines.
HD quality (1280×720) priced $4:

links removed

Full HD quality (1920×1080) priced $5-6:

links removed

2K items (2048×1152) $20
Is it really worth to pay 4x the price for adding 14% of pixels over Full HD version available for $5?

links removed

3K-4K items $35-40

links removed

Per my honest opinion some videos priced $4-$5-$6 (like great examples above) are actually have more quality and they are more usefull and harder to do than some other videos priced even $20-40. My believe if Envato wants to develop footage market than prices must be deffirentiated based on quality/usability/actors/uniqueness/how hard to do and may be other criterias.

P.S. This discussion does not relate with possibility of stock footage market separation from AE projects (wish of many AE project authors). Described issue is not good for the market anyway.

P.S.S. I flagged this thread for staff reply and look forward for any official answer.

Best Regards and Happy Sales,
Andrey

430 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
vovkacg says

+1

I’m beyond the footage market, but what you’re saying sounds VERY reasonable and valid. Possibly that could be transposed to other marketplaces.

1566 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Hi Azam,

Sorry if it looks offensive. I did not want to. I like many of your work by the way!

And I am not sayng at all that my work is perfect ( I did not mention any of my items in the list of great examples above). We all have room to learn and improve for sure.

The question is about price difference and what I really don’t like that price mostly depend on video resolution as of today. Mostly not depend on quality or uniqueness, usability or how hard to do, what equipment used, how long does it takes, actors, etc. Items outlined are just few examples of how the whole system works.

Do you think based on examples I outlined above that pricing is right here?

Best Regards, Andrey

1107 posts inlifethrill
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
InlifeThrill says

I don’t see how this is offensive. Furthermore, the points made are more or less valid. He does not need any permission for this, I reckon. Forum discussion should not be made personal. There is almost nothing I can say about pricing stock so.. oh well, my comment is useless as well :D

5167 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Sorry Andre, I have to remove the links, because it’s making critical comments on other users work (not very critical, I’ll admit). But this is a marketplace at the end of the day, and we need to be careful about anything that might negatively effect sales of another author’s work. If staff would like to see the original text, email me. And by the way, the fly-by of the drone is blatantly a 3D render, and a none too photo-real one, so not that difficult to do after all.

For what it’s worth, I agree. The $15 price hike from 1920×1080 to 2K is absurd. 2K might suggest that it’s shot on a RED camera, for instance, but it’s not a dead cert. Hey… I want a better price for my h.264 footage. I’ll blow it up to 2K in post.And for that matter, there are many high end cameras, including RED that are capable of shooting 1920×1080… and of course, anything can be resized in post. In other words, a frame size bigger than HD is not a technical indicator of quality.

I was just checking through some files though and there are full HD shots out there with production value, and prices of $30. But I still think that there is some footage that seems to get priced at $4 whatever.

193 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
WebRa says

To make video shooting in the sky or under water it is more difficult, than to make shooting of video of the house cat. And still such shootings demand money. But at identical technical characteristics of cameras the price of footage will be determined identical. It isn’t absolutely logical. And if to make shooting of a cat with the resolution of 4K, he will be more expensive :) But if employees of Envato have to consider a large number of criteria for determination of cost, time of consideration of works will strongly increase. And how to measure in figures video shooting is how difficult? The low price of high-quality works is compensated by a large number of sales. I consider that the difference in the price has to be, but not considerable.

5167 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

And how to measure in figures video shooting is how difficult?

Anyone who has worked in film production for any amount of time, should be able to estimate the cost of a particular shot pretty easily, and fairly accurately off the top of their head.

If the prices don’t reflect the technical difficulty, then there won’t be any high-production value works, so it’s a moot point. As I mentioned, I think the differentiation is beginning to happen.

770 posts
  • Located in Hungary
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
aron66 says

40$ for an “easy” 4K resolution footage, but 15-25$ for an AE opener/slideshow which is made with experience, and it takes (much) time. (and those sells much better). Its so sad. :/

193 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
WebRa says

And how to measure in figures video shooting is how difficult?

Anyone who has worked in film production for any amount of time, should be able to estimate the cost of a particular shot pretty easily, and fairly accurately off the top of their head.

If the prices don’t reflect the technical difficulty, then there won’t be any high-production value works, so it’s a moot point. As I mentioned, I think the differentiation is beginning to happen.

I too support differentiation reasonably :)

193 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
WebRa says

40$ for an “easy” 4K resolution footage, but 15-25$ for an AE opener/slideshow which is made with experience, and it takes (much) time. (and those sells much better). Its so sad. :/

I agree, It is an unreasonable difference in the price

by
by
by
by
by
by