1107 posts inlifethrill
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
InlifeThrill says

Here is another point of view.

In terms of AE templates, how is the price tag evaluated? Most of the times it is usability, flexibility, high aesthetic value that matters, right? The tool used to achieve this should be a trailing factor, not the main one. Why should not this apply to stock footage as well? I filmed a candle with a gazillion dollar camera, does it mean it needs to be priced higher than.. I don’t know, an underwater shot of a corral reef with less expensive camera? I am sure anyone owing an expensive equipment would love to see his videos priced higher. Unfortunately a camera’s high price makes no difference to a client if the content itself is by no means useful.

Just some thoughts. By no means I intend to step on anyone’s toes. I may stand corrected easily, I barely know anything about shoot with camera. :)

309 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in India
+2 more
DarkLand says

40$ for an “easy” 4K resolution footage, but 15-25$ for an AE opener/slideshow which is made with experience, and it takes (much) time. (and those sells much better). Its so sad. :/

I Agree with u.

5173 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Here is another point of view.

In terms of AE templates, how is the price tag evaluated? Most of the times it is usability, flexibility, high aesthetic value that matters, right? The tool used to achieve this should be a trailing factor, not the main one. Why should not this apply to stock footage as well? I filmed a candle with a gazillion dollar camera, does it mean it needs to be priced higher than.. I don’t know, an underwater shot of a corral reef with less expensive camera? I am sure anyone owing an expensive equipment would love to see his videos priced higher. Unfortunately a camera’s high price makes no difference to a client if the content itself is by no means useful.

Just some thoughts. By no means I intend to step on anyone’s toes. I may stand corrected easily, I barely know anything about shoot with camera. :)

To be fair, shooting great footage also takes a lot of experience, eye, technical know-how, time and (something that Ae projects don’t have) cost. I would maintain that the best After Effects projects hit much higher relative to the commercial bespoke world than any of the stock footage does. And that’s to do with the fact that to hit higher with stock footage takes a much higher input in terms of organisation, cost and time.

Simply shooting with a 4K camera does not warrant a 10x price hike, but maybe a 3x price-hike. Hiring a RED Epic for a day is relatively expensive. The lens hire is off the scale compared to DSLR lenses, and it’s heavy. You need a big professional tripod, possibly a matte box, a large and heavy battery charger etc, so you’re also talking transport, assistance, often permissions as well. You may also need a focus puller. It’s not the kind of camera you can hold with one hand while focussing with the other.

To be honest, I’m not sure it’s worth the effort, unless you’re going to push the production value higher across the board and then it gets much too costly to be selling as even $30 stock. Even at $30, you’d need a guaranteed 300-400 sales to cover costs. I guess the only way to do it might be to hire a small studio and try and do 10 set ups in a day, and hope for 30 sales per set up. I guess if you own or work at a company with its own small studio, lights and camera, it’s doable.

High risk. Oh well. Back to ducks and clouds.

193 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
WebRa says

That’s right. Today to use for Footage shooting the RED Epic and even RED One too expensive.

1567 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Felt, thank you for removing links if it’s better for marketplace. And you are right, yes most visible descrepancy is about 2K/FullHD prices.

It looks like most (if not all) 4K footage here are photo timelapse made with DSLR. And yes most of them are easy to do. Of course it takes time and shutter counts but most authors unfortunately don’t do valuable enhancements like deflicering, good color correction, removing birds and some other things which may help making great 4K shot. 4K shots is great possibility with any DSLR (limited to timelapse) since you can achive great result with serie of 14 bit RAW images. But it takes time, and experience.

Thank you for replying. I agree with you guys and hope we still able to receive something from Envato staff as well.

If I am able to propose some prices changes I would suggest to do simple correction based on what kind of footage I see like:
- single HD footage prices range – $1-10 (depend on duration, content, overall quality, usability, unigueness, if it has quality audio recorded and included)
- single Full HD/2K footage prices range $2-12 (again depend how great it is)
- single 3-4K footage – like $5-25

These price ranges may still have about the same average like $5-6 as most footage as of today. But as soon as files start to be released with diffeerent price depend on all these criterias it may help in every way: it may help customers to see which files probably better, it may help authors to learn and improve and it may help marketplace to develop litle bit further from ducks and clouds. :-)

Best Regards, Andrey

21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Yarche says

One question. If I will render items in 2K or 4K, it will cost more than ordinary video ?

by
by
by
by
by
by