3868 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
flashjunkie says
CMS News was changed from $15 to $20, what is the reasoning behind this? is the extra $5 justified per sale, because it has some PHP ? or what?

It was raised because i requested it, privately in an email. I think if u were to purchase the file you would agree with me that it is worth $20 some customers are emailing me saying it is ‘priceless’ and ‘worth more than $20’

yes reviewers can change file prices, whether it be on request or because they think a price is unfair, im sure if u were to email support with your query you would have gotten a price increase also.

I am not officially a reviewer yet so it wasnt me that changed any of the prices.

I would have to say based on the other image viewers/transitions on the site $6 is a standard price but personally i would have been torn between pricing it at $6 or $8, i believe $10 is too much, im not disrespecting the quality of your work as personally love the file, but based on the prices of similar files a $6-$8 price is fair.

Any way as i said i am not a reviewer yet so my opinion isnt really based on much as of yet apart from my personal experience at this site and the many many files i have seen.

Id just like to say its a great file, as always mr flashguru :) keep up the good work and next time you will find it much less painless and lengthy to send a quick email to a reviewer or support

(i too had this same situation a few months ago)

:)

Jay

1550 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

flashguru’s file is more than just a simple transition with masking , I haven’t bought the file , but you can see that just from the demo. I think is uses BitmapData to slice up the image , and then do the transition… Am I wright flashguru?

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

Don’t know how to explain but I know what you are thinking, Guy. If you have a look at my portfolio, I’m pretty sure that you can see most of them are Component (which is implemented with thousand line of code) and if anyone does some math in calculating between time, effort spend on those files, that would be really insane if they are priced just from $6-12.

But think about it, in the manner of business, if a file is priced about $30+, definitely, there won’t be or very least users who interest in buying if it’s not in very high demand. Low price could bring more customers regardless how complex the file is actually built.

Once you have earnt a stable income, probably you’ll see what I mean.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

@dSKY: in fact, that file is much more complex than you think. Proving a wide range of parameters, users can easily customize without touching a piece of code.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

@FlashGuruLTD
...i’m open to new ideas as you are…
It depends a lot from what point of view are you watching… if you have the skills to build a site like this and make money from it it’s damn sure that is best to do that…
Regarding the sellings of your files… don’t forget that you are competing with other developers here… a bigger price for a file can reflect his features and professionalism but you must compare that with the competition…

So, the question is.. you need a good price to reflect the product quality… or… you need a price that sells?
I think here is the tricky part…

4905 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Guru, I was in the same camp with you about file pricing a while back and I noticed that my higher priced files ($2 – $3 higher) sell less, if at all. I feel like it really needs to have a huge WOW factor to sell well at a higher price. I’m sure your file is VERY complicated, but like Junkie said, it’s price falls in line with other components very similar. So I understand your frustration but check out some other files that are similar.

I also have not been completely set up yet to review, and when I do, I wont be reviewing flash…but if I was, I would consider the price to be fair. I have a fun little toolbar installed in my browser called “stumble”, you may have heard of it, and I am being completely honest when I say about 40 percent of the larger “design” sites it brings me to, have some type of flashden banner somewhere.

About the profit thing, I like to call it the “Bobo Theory” pretty much load up your profile with 10-15 QUALITY files…sit back enjoy. I mean he still has to support those files he uploaded, but he himself said, that he hasnt uploaded a file in 3 months yet hes still the top dog on this site. I have been around for quite some time, and witnessed him getting most of his badges. For good files, with clean designs, and great customer service, he was at 50% in no time, and now hes banking…all residual income, and his residual, is more than my full time 40-50 hours a week career in NY. So it def does work…its just a matter of seeing the gem, and its funny I am putting it this way…having faith in FlashDen. If you work at it, you will get it. Another thing you have to think of, is that a lot of people buying files on here are not flash experts. They are people working on their own sites, or smaller freelancers that need a piece of a site and cant do it themselves. They are not as inclined to buy a photo loader because of the bitmap thing your file has, instead they will probably go for the best looking loader. Or what seems to fit their site best. So my advice to you is, consider the demographic while developing, and try to make your file as reusable as possible, make it so it will fit the scheme of a lot of designs.

67 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
FlashGuruLTD says
@FlashGuruLTD
...i’m open to new ideas as you are…
It depends a lot from what point of view are you watching… if you have the skills to build a site like this and make money from it it’s damn sure that is best to do that…
Regarding the sellings of your files… don’t forget that you are competing with other developers here… a bigger price for a file can reflect his features and professionalism but you must compare that with the competition…

So, the question is.. you need a good price to reflect the product quality… or… you need a price that sells?
I think here is the tricky part…

Yes, a site such as this could be built in 2-3 weeks with vbulletin and have alot more features and functionality automatically, since vbulletin is already so feature rich, but thats besides the point and i guess its a different discussion also.

Back on topic.

I personally think that prices should reflect product quality, its like buying a microsoft zune, or an ipod. The quality of the ipod is why it sells so much, even though it costs more. There are of course customers who opt to buy a zune instead of an ipod, simply because its cheaper, but then, they will eventually get an ipod anyway, when their zune breaks because build quality etc… isnt as good. The same scenario here is true. Ive put alot of effort into my latest file, all be it a slideshow, but its a very feature rich slideshow, which can be used in alot of situations and any Flash designer can do alot with it without writing a line of code, the same cannot be said for most of the slideshow files here, ive bought some of them to assess the competition.

Again, i say why does it cost $3 for a preloader, and $6 for an image viewer/slideshow? and why does it cost $8 for a calender and $6 for a guestbook? from experience, ive created all of these things on numerous occasions throughout my career, and in terms of the time it takes to create such projects, the prices are all wrong. Guestbook should be the same price as CMS News, because its as valuable and takes about the same amount of time to create. Preloaders take 30 mins to an hour to create and image viewers take days to create.

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
+6 more
LucidStudios says

well every new author complains about file prices but with experience on flashden they learn that pricing a file high and also making components doesn’t sell well here on flashden.

In my experience most of the buyers here are newbie flash users who want to learn how files of different types are made so they that is the main reason that flashden has a lot of buyers. One can go to flashcomponents.net and see that files submitted by flashloaded are not being bought by anyone because those are components not fla source files.

I think every author should first check dabamol’s portfolio on flashden and see how he has earned sliver badge with just few files.

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
+6 more
LucidStudios says

but if the file reviewer see that a certain file is selling well and price is set comparatively low then it is wise to raise the price a little. An example of this was “Flash XML Editor” and I think bobocel did well to raise the price from $15 to $25

1633 posts fueledweb.com
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

I think every author should first check dabamol’s portfolio on flashden and see how he has earned sliver badge with just few files.

I would say good design + clean code + high demand = killer file ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by