590 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
CodeSwift says

Not sure how possible this will be to keep it author only, as anyone can technically be an “author” and get the badge to say they are an author. I guess it could be decided on if they have an item for sale or not, but then technically that leaves quite a few new authors out. - Ed
If authors only would be the ones to approve new memberships, that is easy to do. Here is how I imagine it:
  • the forum access is restricted for authors only and hidden to the public
  • we have 5-10 authors who are managers of the forum
  • the managers could be chosen from TF mods, TF authors with at least 5-10 items
  • we make membership rules saying that TF only can join the forum and how and what they are required to do
  • when new authors register the forum form they also contact one of the managers
  • managers check if the new register request is valid, means the user is in fact a TF author with at least one item in his TF portfolio
  • the process to recruit managers is the same, just they could ask for manager type membership from those already managers
  • the forum could be used for anything, most important for abuse alerts, joining forces in various projects of authors’ interests or whatever authors need to talk and cannot speak on public forums
Have a nice Sunday and best of luck.

+1

2241 posts Digital Artist
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+11 more
crozer says

Not sure how possible this will be to keep it author only, as anyone can technically be an “author” and get the badge to say they are an author. I guess it could be decided on if they have an item for sale or not, but then technically that leaves quite a few new authors out. - Ed
If authors only would be the ones to approve new memberships, that is easy to do. Here is how I imagine it:
  • the forum access is restricted for authors only and hidden to the public
  • we have 5-10 authors who are managers of the forum
  • the managers could be chosen from TF mods, TF authors with at least 5-10 items
  • we make membership rules saying that TF only can join the forum and how and what they are required to do
  • when new authors register the forum form they also contact one of the managers
  • managers check if the new register request is valid, means the user is in fact a TF author with at least one item in his TF portfolio
  • the process to recruit managers is the same, just they could ask for manager type membership from those already managers
  • the forum could be used for anything, most important for abuse alerts, joining forces in various projects of authors’ interests or whatever authors need to talk and cannot speak on public forums
Have a nice Sunday and best of luck.

Can’t we deal with the registration process by using the API ?

590 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
CodeSwift says

I don’t think so many authors will join the forums that we need an automated “author checking”. But if someone has experience with the Envato API and modifying phpBB and thinks it’s not a lot of work then ok. I honestly never looked at phpBB code.

1734 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

I don’t think so many authors will join the forums that we need an automated “author checking”. But if someone has experience with the Envato API and modifying phpBB and thinks it’s not a lot of work then ok. I honestly never looked at phpBB code.

I have some exp dealing with phpBB3, it’s a real problem having custom code. Perhaps such as WP Themes are, the management system is greatly embedded into the theme, and most of the code updates are within the themes, making updating really painful and time consuming.

I would prefer to do a phpBB3 install with no core changes at all, we only need to manage the authors accounts, accounts and does not really need any design or special functions.

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

the group was open since the original thread, mostly (ex) flash devs there. If anybody want to join feel free to ping me but i also think a forum would be much better, manual activation would be just fine as i wouldn’t expect huge numbers.

The forum could be hosted by anybody not having told other authors to shut their mouths in recent locked threads.

by
by
by
by
by
by