1696 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
Firsh says

Hello!

I would like to achieve the following:

I have a dynamic ip, but I use dyndns so I can access my pc anytime with something.dyndns.org

I have a domain which I use only to access the files on my own pc which acts like a server, always running.

I can’t point mydomain.com to my IP because it’s dynamic and changes from time to time. And pointing mydomain.com to a dyndns host is not possible (A record). Pointing www.mydomain.com (notice the www) is okay, that’s what I’m using now (CNAME record).

What I’d like to do that mydomain.com without www to always point to my dyndns host or my pc.

I have another domain that is unused at the time.

This is my theory: I add a ns0 CNAME record of myotherdomain.com to something.dyndns.org. It’ll be ns0.myotherdomain.com

I add the ns0.myotherdomain.com as my main domain’s NS.

This way my main domain’s NS is my computer, right? On my pc, in my own nameserver config, I somehow make the main domain’s A record point to localhost, so eventually typing mydomain.com will work properly.

If this theory would work, how could I set up a very very basic but own nameserver under windows?

And yes, I have a hosting, but in this case I’d like to use my OWN pc as a server.

Thanks

1696 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
Firsh says
Erm, mind if I tell you a MORE simple solution to achieve that? Go to your ISP and tell them nicely that you want a static IP. Should work…

I asked them yesterday, still no reply. Will call them I think. They list the service to business customers only. I hope there is some way..

Anyway, if I change nameservers of my domain, but the A record points to the previous nameserver, then mydomain.com will point to where it was pointing before the NS change? It’s kind of messed up, my friend tested my link and it’s displaying different page than it displays for me. Both cleared browser cache and flushed dns. Weird..

by
by
by
by
by
by