25 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
Zanshin says

Hey everyone! Have any of you had a problem only when running an index.html page from your harddrive? It’s never happened to me before but on a new theme I recently purchased when ever I open the index page from my desktop half of the site doesn’t work (seems mostly the javascript) but if i upload it all to my web host it seems to all work.

I’m stumped! lol. Any advice would be really appreciated!

2441 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

Check the paths for external resources, use Firebug or your browser’s inspection tool.

25 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Zanshin says

Thanks for the response!

I double checked all of the js files are local. I never had this happen before where a site would only work properly when posted.

25 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Zanshin says

Hm, firebug gives me a bunch of these console errors “ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined” but not when the site is online.

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+1 more
UBLThemes says

Hm, firebug gives me a bunch of these console errors “ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined” but not when the site is online.

If its an ajax driven theme, to the best of my knowledge and i might be wrong but you will need to either install wamp, mamp etc or use a working online server.

2441 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

If its an ajax driven theme, to the best of my knowledge and i might be wrong but you will need to either install wamp, mamp etc or use a working online server.

As long as there are not PHP files involved, you don’t need a server such as WAMP /MAMP.

‘jQuery is not defined’ sounds like either jQuery is not loaded, or it’s not being called right (i.e. tried to use both $ and jQuery). But if you say it works on your server, it’s definitely a wrong path to jQuery, which doesn’t work locally. (my guess is that it’s using a relative path starting with // ).

by
by
by
by
by
by