25 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Zanshin says

Hey everyone! Have any of you had a problem only when running an index.html page from your harddrive? It’s never happened to me before but on a new theme I recently purchased when ever I open the index page from my desktop half of the site doesn’t work (seems mostly the javascript) but if i upload it all to my web host it seems to all work.

I’m stumped! lol. Any advice would be really appreciated!

2444 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Check the paths for external resources, use Firebug or your browser’s inspection tool.

25 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Zanshin says

Thanks for the response!

I double checked all of the js files are local. I never had this happen before where a site would only work properly when posted.

25 posts
+1 more
Zanshin says

Hm, firebug gives me a bunch of these console errors “ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined” but not when the site is online.

631 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

Hm, firebug gives me a bunch of these console errors “ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined” but not when the site is online.

If its an ajax driven theme, to the best of my knowledge and i might be wrong but you will need to either install wamp, mamp etc or use a working online server.

2444 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

If its an ajax driven theme, to the best of my knowledge and i might be wrong but you will need to either install wamp, mamp etc or use a working online server.

As long as there are not PHP files involved, you don’t need a server such as WAMP /MAMP.

‘jQuery is not defined’ sounds like either jQuery is not loaded, or it’s not being called right (i.e. tried to use both $ and jQuery). But if you say it works on your server, it’s definitely a wrong path to jQuery, which doesn’t work locally. (my guess is that it’s using a relative path starting with // ).

by
by
by
by
by
by