1352 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

I recently had a problem with a customer. Basically, he does not know anything about WP or CSS and blames me for it.

To make a list,

1) he does not know how to use WP3 .0 menus… 2) he says when theme is activated, it doesn’t look like demo site ( he didn’t add widgets, duh!) 3) he says my CSS is crap and says this by looking at the website with firebug and spotting some table coding ( a table he included in a post).

I don’t use tables at all and I have perfect, I mean perfect CSS coding :)

CSS in question: http://blackops.turkhitbox.com/wp-content/themes/blackops-wp/css/style.css

(for references)

Now, because of his comments, my new theme gets lower sales.

I don’t think this is fair. I want to refund him and delete his comments.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

flag the comment and ask him if he dose not like the theme to ask for a refund and only envato will decide if he is getting the money. i got a customer too who asked me about the menus but i pointed him to the codex and a youtube video.. try to help if he is talking like a professional if he si talking trash report the comments…. :D

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says
I recently had a problem with a customer. Basically, he does not know anything about WP or CSS and blames me for it.

To make a list,

1) he does not know how to use WP3 .0 menus… 2) he says when theme is activated, it doesn’t look like demo site ( he didn’t add widgets, duh!) 3) he says my CSS is crap and says this by looking at the website with firebug and spotting some table coding ( a table he included in a post).

I don’t use tables at all and I have perfect, I mean perfect CSS coding :)

CSS in question: http://blackops.turkhitbox.com/wp-content/themes/blackops-wp/css/style.css

(for references)

Now, because of his comments, my new theme gets lower sales.

I don’t think this is fair. I want to refund him and delete his comments.

I would just reply to his comment pointing out each of those things he has done incorrectly but say it in a “nice” way. Like suggest that he adds widgets that you used in the demo. Provide him a link on how to use the Wordpress 3.0 menus. Also simply noting that your coding is up to standards and there isn’t anything wrong with the way you code will go a long way too.

I think most buyers are much more educated in regards to coding and can tell that this guy probably doesn’t know what he’s talking about (especially if you respond calmly and cooly).

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

ps dont make the css like that…its harder to edit… minify it after you are done and include the large one too… i know he can reset the format with dreamweaver but not everyone knows that…

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Dont listen to him. He has made clear he wants to ruin your business. I would just report all him comments.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says
ps dont make the css like that…its harder to edit… minify it after you are done and include the large one too… i know he can reset the format with dreamweaver but not everyone knows that…

There’s nothing wrong with his CSS code as is. In fact, I much prefer to see it all on one line like that. It loads faster and it’s quicker for me (personally) to find each element.

And dear god, don’t let this thread turn into the age old argument about whether to put the CSS code on one line or to break it up into chunks.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

Whenever I make a theme I try to follow these guidelines for styling my CSS :

http://codex.wordpress.org/CSS_Coding_Standards

... There’s nothing wrong with writing compressed CSS like that. I just don’t think it’s necessarily best in selling a theme.

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

There’s nothing wrong with his CSS code as is. In fact, I much prefer to see it all on one line like that. It loads faster and it’s quicker for me (personally) to find each element.

And dear god, don’t let this thread turn into the age old argument about whether to put the CSS code on one line or to break it up into chunks.

it’s easier to read for a non experience customers the normal why and not in-line

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

it’s easier to read for a non experience customers the normal why and not in-line

hes pointing to the demo it mite be formatted different in the actually download

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

hes pointing to the demo it mite be formatted different in the actually download

did not buy the theme too see that….just pointing out an idea

by
by
by
by
by
by