2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Andromeus says

Hi

Today I purchased a theme for use on WordPress. I watched instructional videos, followed all steps, paid for and downloaded the theme and then I went to the WordPress site to upload my shiny new theme using the ‘install’ button under Appearance>Manage themes… only to discover that it does not appear as a choice for me.

On further investigation, it seems that WordPress does not allow the addition of new themes outside of those recommended on the site itself. So then I need to try and find a ‘workaround’ and I am met with … ‘It’s simple to install to FTP instead by doing this on your server etc… I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO DO THIS … I bought from ThemeForest because it was a ‘simple’ option!!! There were no complications in the videos and no mention of difficulties with themes and WordPress anywhere before purchasing! Aaaaghhh!! I purchased a HostGator ‘Baby’ hosting account and I downloaded WordPress directly from the CPanel there. Thats all I know about that. All was going well until I tried to use your services. I am on a Mac platform and I am fairly good on my mac, but have no idea of coding and File Transfer Protocol.

I am not an idiot, but I need basic step-by-step instructions from somebody with knowledge. I have watched the videos on Vimeo by ThemeForest vendors explaining how to install the themes using FTP , but they skip massive amounts and assume almost expert knowledge in my opinion…

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME …!!!! Waaahhhh!!!!!

rant over… help please… :stress:

5761 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+13 more
KingDog Envato team says
2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Andromeus says

Thanks KingDog, but no, it doesn’t help.

I do not have the Upload / Install new themes option in WordPress and I have no idea where to even find ‘FTP’ and WordPress source files on Hostgator. As I said in my last post, this part on videos simply skips over this and we are just told to ‘do it’... How? Where? Why?

5761 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+13 more
KingDog Envato team says

Hmm sounds like something you may want to talk to Hostgator about. Sounds like a custom WordPress install that their using or something.

3468 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Hi Andromeus,

Sorry you’re having trouble. There’s nothing wrong with your theme, this is an issue with your WordPress installation if you can’t see that tab.

Most likely either:

1. Your user is not an administrator, so you can’t add themes

or

2. It’s possible you have a permissions issue.

or

3. The 1-click install set you up on a MultiSite installation, where only the network admin has the ability to add themes.

This seems to be a problem with “1 Click Installs”. For example, see this topic on WordPress.org – http://wordpress.org/support/topic/install-themes-tab-i-cant-see-it – I know that is regarding BlueHost, but they may even use the same installation script as HostGator.

If you watch the video here http://www.hostgator.com/apps/wordpress-hosting.shtml , perhaps you need to set “Manual Install” to “Yes” or something like that. My suggestion would be to contact HostGator and ask how you can set up a WordPress site installation that will allow you to upload a custom WordPress theme.

Note that all standard WordPress installations from wordpress.org have the capability to upload a WordPress theme.

Hope that helps!

Chris

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

Is it possible that this is a WordPress.com site and not a WordPress.org installation on your own server? To use any theme you purchase on ThemeForest, you must have the WordPress PHP application installed on your own hosting account. This is different than setting a website at wordpress.com, which only allows you to install themes from WordPress, I believe.

I know you described the installation process from HostGator which would contradict my suggestion, but if you’ve gotten the two mixed up somehow, it would explain why there’s no Upload link when installing new themes.

by
by
by
by
by
by