• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jigowatt says

Hi all, I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation before or if ThemeForest has a policy for this.

Earlier this month we released our Simple PHP Contact Form which been very well received (thanks to all purchasers)! However, we’ve just released our new script; AJAX Contact Form and while the scripts are very similar we felt they justified being a different product as some people will want to embed the form in html pages, some people will not want to use Javascript etc etc. However, probably the majority of people who purchased the original file will probably want to upgrade to the “new improved one” so the question is; how do we go about this?

It would be really cool if ThemeForest offered some sort of “product link/upgrade” option enabling users who purchased one file, upgrade to another for a cut price.

Obviously we could handle this outside of ThemeForest offering users an upgrade price of $1 but would that violate the terms of being an “exclusive” author?

So as you see it’s a bit awkward and we’d be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on the matter!

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts
Threads Started
143 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

I’d personally love to upgrade to the AJAX contact form, but really wouldn’t want to pay again for it. (I already have purchased the Simple PHP Contact Form).

If you were able to offer an upgrade for something like $1 I’d be surely down for it :)

Unless, you could change the simple contact form to include both, but raise the price a few dollars. That way, buyers that bought it before benefit and people that buy it after also benefit from getting two.

2317 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

The best thing to do is to mail Jeffery about this.

56 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jigowatt says
The best thing to do is to mail Jeffery about this.

I’ve sent Jeffrey an email.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has been in a similar situation perhaps with offering html > wordpress upgrades or something like that?

2317 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

I wanted to add my EZI theme as a bonus to my new FreshCMS and i have send Jeff an email about this, but this was not allowed.

I dont think that there was anybody here that added a WP theme as a upgrade to there HTML theme.

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

If you really want to do this, simply combine the initial product with the new product in one download, and request for a price change. Simple.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I agree – if you want to bundle products in with a file for sale – that’s your choice completely as long as the item is not for sale. I have done it will PSD files and given the HTML away for free at one point – I just told purchasers to contact me thru my account page here at TF so I could check they purchased and I emailed them the bonus for free. Once I then placed the file on here for sale the offer was retracted.

Remember these are YOUR files – as long as you are not already selling them it’s up to you – it’s just a better deal for TF customers and ours.

56 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jigowatt says
If you really want to do this, simply combine the initial product with the new product in one download, and request for a price change. Simple.

Some people might not want to pay $8 or $9 dollars for two scripts when they are only going to be using one of them though.

I agree – if you want to bundle products in with a file for sale – that’s your choice completely as long as the item is not for sale. I have done it will PSD files and given the HTML away for free at one point – I just told purchasers to contact me thru my account page here at TF so I could check they purchased and I emailed them the bonus for free. Once I then placed the file on here for sale the offer was retracted.

Remember these are YOUR files – as long as you are not already selling them it’s up to you – it’s just a better deal for TF customers and ours.

That’s a fair point, but we have a lot of other work to do, if we had to supply a new script to 200+ people that’s going to take a long time… an automated system would obviously be better.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

@jigowatt – The only way to offer the upgrade to your “Simple PHP Contact Form” customers is to update that exact item with the new AJAX functionality (or separate files, so that the buyer has the option.)

If you upload a brand new item, and it’s accepted, the buyers of your original component will not be allowed to receive this upgrade.

478 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
kevinsturf says

I would like to have this script, but I bought the other version. I really don’t wish to pay for it again as it’s very similar with implemented javascript.

by
by
by
by
by
by