204 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
GDragoN says

Hi,

WordPress Multisite contains more then one website, so technically regular license for a product can’t cover such use. So, if someone hosts 100 websites in multisite and want to use a plugin from CodeCanyon, he will need 100 licenses, since each website will behave differently depending on the theme, other active plugins for it. Am I right no this point, or is there something specific for such cases in Envato licensing?

There are some old threads in the forums on this with no real answer, and since Multisite is more and more popular it is becoming an issue from support standpoint if nothing else, supporting 100 website for one regular license is not fair.

I would like if someone from Envato can officially clear the issue with regular/extended license and use on multisite WordPress installations.

Milan

651 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
Gareth_Gillman says

You will need the extended license, which was made for multiple uses of a file, but also covers stuff as reselling the file (as part as another file).

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Here’s the simple breakdown of a regular license:

regular license = 1 domain / 1 install only – therefore this does not cover multisite.

http://themeforest.net/licenses http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq

Under ThemeForest and CodeCanyon on that last link:

“Can I use a website template or theme in a website hosting service where my customers can customize and create their own websites?”

- Please contact us through Support and we’ll put you in touch with the right people to discuss options.

Therefore not very helpful at all… However this isn’t necessarily multisite (depends on how it’s setup and used I guess) so… I’m hitting the ‘Request a staff reply’ to try and get this cleared up once and for all.

Jonathan

204 posts
+4 more
GDragoN says

I am also thinking extended license (until we get something better), but it is time for Envato to give us clear interpretation for such use.

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
CustomizeWP says

regular license = 1 domain / 1 install only – therefore this does not cover multisite.

I do not agree. Multisite usually uses one domain. Either by subdomains (demo.yourdomain.com) or subfolders (yourdomain.com/demo). So if your equation was right then regular licence would cover multisite in most cases. A separate thing is whether the equation is right, but it is not for me to judge.

3445 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

the extended license, which was made for multiple uses of a file

No, it wasn’t. The Extended License is a single-use license. Please be careful not to contribute to this misconception! The Extended License may cover WordPress Multisite as a special use case (I don’t know), but “multiple uses” is definitely not covered in general.

I do not agree. Multisite usually uses one domain. Either by subdomains (demo.yourdomain.com) or subfolders (yourdomain.com/demo). So if your equation was right then regular licence would cover multisite in most cases. A separate thing is whether the equation is right, but it is not for me to judge.

It’s pretty simple. 1 regular license = 1 site. Multisite = Multiple Sites , and therefore requires Multiple Licenses. With multisite, each subsite is considered a separate installation.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Well it depends how you use multisite :)

From the official multisite website:

Benefits of using WordPress Multisite

Enabling WordPress Multisite lets you run a network of unlimited sites on one installation. It’s ideal for those who want to run multiple sites, multiple blogs or offer blog hosting services to others.

But I agree – it depends what you use it for – but then again you have an issue right there not knowing what people are using it for etc.

204 posts
+4 more
GDragoN says

It’s pretty simple. 1 regular license = 1 site. Multisite = Multiple Sites , and therefore requires Multiple Licenses. With multisite, each subsite is considered a separate installation.

That is logical. But, it is time for Envato to finally step up and introduce licensing that can cover such use cases. Considering how WordPress is important for ThemeForest or CodeCanyon, it should have own special variations for licenses that can cover multisite, developers and other things. Current licensing is not sufficient and a lot of time has passed since anyone from Envato even talked about improving licensing. I have been contaced by few people interested incmy products on CodeCanyon that were not able to make a purchse becase current licensing is not enough for many uses.

Milan

1461 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
WebSmacker says

Maybe we’ll see license changes when they finish up the shopping cart. I recently added multiple license options to my own plugin site and my sales profit last month double because of it.

3445 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

That is logical. But, it is time for Envato to finally step up and introduce licensing that can cover such use cases. Considering how WordPress is important for ThemeForest or CodeCanyon, it should have own special variations for licenses that can cover multisite, developers and other things. Current licensing is not sufficient and a lot of time has passed since anyone from Envato even talked about improving licensing. I have been contaced by few people interested incmy products on CodeCanyon that were not able to make a purchse becase current licensing is not enough for many uses.

Milan

I agree. Another big licensing improvement we’ve been waiting on a long time is multi-use/developer licenses. I really hope those are coming soon. :)

Jonathan’s point about the ways that Multisite can be used is a really good one. It’s likely that there isn’t a single license that will cover “Multisite use”. The Extended License would cover the “hosting services for others”, and a multi-use license would cover using the item across multiple subsites, for example.

by
by
by
by
by
by