• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

As it’s 2 days since I hit the door bell button asking for staff involvement and still nothing I’m doing it again and posting to bring this back up the pile.

Jonathan

673 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Staff
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Support Staff
+6 more
cudazi Staff says

Hey guys, sorry for the delay!

Both the regular and extended licenses are limited to a single end product, in this case – a website.

A separate license purchase is required for each site that will be using the plugin. We do not have a multisite specific license type to span across all sites.

Whether you would need to purchase a regular or extended license would depend specifically on how the site uses the plugin.

For questions on regular vs extended license usage, please visit the license FAQs page or submit a ticket at support.envato.com using the “License Inquiry” section.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Thx for the clarification @cudazi – much appreciated, I’ll bookmark this for buyers with this question so they can read your response.

Jonathan

30 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SonnyCooL says

Both the regular and extended licenses are limited to a single end product, in this case – a website.

A separate license purchase is required for each site that will be using the plugin. We do not have a multisite specific license type to span across all sites.

Whether you would need to purchase a regular or extended license would depend specifically on how the site uses the plugin.

For questions on regular vs extended license usage, please visit the license FAQs page or submit a ticket at support.envato.com using the “License Inquiry” section.

i find the license is really unclear and very misleading + look at theme forest extended license, basically i won’t purchase, rather offer some one to create similar design …...

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

i find the license is really unclear and very misleading + look at theme forest extended license, basically i won’t purchase, rather offer some one to create similar design …...

I’m not sure I agree – it seems quite clear.

The breakdown on the license page linked to by @cudazi has many explanations / scenarios.

Obviously paying to get a custom solution would mean (as long as it’s in your contract with your designer and coder) that you have full rights to do what you wish – although I would make sure you state this in your contract whenever doing so.

72 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
GDragoN says

Well, it looks like one more license ambiguity proving that Envato licenses are not up to the task to cover many uses that are becoming more popular in the recent years. Once again, licensing is put into hands of the authors (extended license and permissions) that need to determine how someone uses their product to see if they should use one or more licenses to do it. And it will cause many more problems to authors and negative ratings by angry users.

It is said many times, but Envato licensing is deeply flawed and warrants many more changes. It has been more than 6 months since I have seen last promise from Envato people about improved licensing, but as all issues important to authors, the work on it is very slow and shows no progress and most importantly no announcements or dates and roadmap of what is done on the issue by Envato.

Great many sales are lost because Envatos slow response to what user/author needs, and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Milan

897 posts Community Officer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+4 more
Carmen Staff says

Hi guys,

I apologise for the delayed response. The question is essentially: What license or licenses do I need to run multiple sites from a WordPress multisite installation?

The answer: You need one license per main domain. If you are using WP multisite to run multiple subdomains under one domain, you only need one license. (For example, product1.mysite.com; product2.mysite.com; product3.mysite.com.)

On the other hand, if you’re using WP multisite to run different sites on different domains, you’ll need one license for each site.

@GDragoN, thank you for your honest feedback. We are working on improving our licenses but as they need to be reviewed by our legal team and adhere to industry standards, it can take some time for changes to be implemented. If you have any particular suggestions please feel free to put them here and we will do our best to make sure they are addressed.

Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

72 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
GDragoN says

Thanks for clarification Carmen.

But, this proves that system is really flawed. For instance, WordPress.com decides to buy plugin from CodeCanyon to use on WordPress.com, and since most of the websites on it (and that are individual websites) are using subdomains (under 0.1% uses own domains, approx.), they will be able to pay Single license for a plugin that will be used on over 30.000.000 websites (since that is the number of individual websites, using subdomains).

I understand that there will never be a licensing that can cover all eventualities, but current licenses must change in order to make distinction of different ways products can be used. Let’s hope that licensing improvements are really coming to Envato (and soon).

Milan

897 posts Community Officer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+4 more
Carmen Staff says

Hi Milan,

Thank you for responding. To answer your question, in regards to the case you mentioned, re-distribution of that item as a template is not acceptable under any of our licenses. Basically, the sub-domain use is OK when there is one user of that domain and there is no re-distribution of the item.

For example see our Regular License here:

You can’t re-distribute the Item as stock, in a tool or template, or with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or bundled with other items, and even if you modify the Item. You can’t re-distribute or make available the Item as-is or with superficial modifications. These things are not allowed even if the re-distribution is for Free.

If you’d like further clarification on this you can head to our FAQs here: and here which deal with this issue clearly.

I hope this clarifies it for you, let me know if you have any other questions. :)

2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
kemoli says

Dear carmen,

What about if i want to use one domain (mysite.com) and 1 subdomain (For example, product1.mysite.com) with two wordpress installations? do i need more than one license?

by
by
by
by
by
by