16 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
ThemeClever says

PLEASE NOTE: This is not an offer to provide theme support for individual end users here on Theme Forest, please contact your theme author for assistance.

Hi, this is in part a tentative request (i.e. I am just putting the idea out there to see if there is any interest or suggestions). I am considering a slightly different approach to the many authors on here and instead of creating and selling my own themes, I am considering offering theme support/assistance for others – ideally a single author/company. I did toy with the idea of creating my own Joomla themes, but on reflection, the workload from start to finish just seems too much for an individual to perform fully.

I wondered if anybody had any advice or possible leads for me – or any previous experiences doing support for others to share? I know it sounds nuts to some, but I actually quite enjoy offering support and helping people learn and I get my kicks/buzz from fixing things and educating where necessary. Here’s an ad hoc list of my skills (verifiable) ...

1st Class Honours BA Art, Design & Technology MSc Educational Research Qualified School Teacher Experience teaching MSc level Statistics at Top UK University

HTML/CSS/Bootstrap – highly skilled and fluent to a high level, 100% hand coding. No problem turning any PSD to accurate and good quality code or fixing any issue. Photoshop – very highly skilled, 10 years experience. Joomla – very highly skilled, can create custom templates (framework free), content modules, layout overrides etc etc etc from scratch. PHP – a grasp of the basics, enough to knock out a Joomla template or module or modify something basic & procedural (I’m a dunce at OO PHP though) JQUERY – I wont lie, I can copy and paste and tweak and modify parameters and get things working, I wouldn’t write a script from scratch. Wordpress – I know the basics of putting a theme together and I have some experience, I can knock out a template or simple widget if I have to. I would not describe myself as a true pro, I’m more of a Joomla person but I am an unusually fast learner. I’ll learn what I need to learn to whatever level to solve any problem I am faced with – it’s not rocket science :-)

Excellent written English (UK native speaker but I know US spellings too if it’s a problem) and my academic background (and teaching background) make me ideal for writing documentation and producing very good quality instructional videos. I’m a Mac user but fluent in Mac and PC. I’m skilled in video editing, Indesign and DTP generally. I also have a good understand of the law, distance selling regulations and the need to preserve corporate image, reputation and business critical information. I am willing to do phone support for B2B clients – not front-line phone support (shudders).

I consider myself generally quite gifted at helping somebody achieve anything from how to use an FTP app all the way up to fixing errors in css, markup or even building a template of their own.

Anybody know anybody who might be looking for a guy like me? I am not looking to apply for salaried positions etc – I prefer to keep things on a simple client/service provider basis without all of the formalities, frustrations and general corporate bloat of working for “the suits”.

Feel free to PM me “If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain…”

Glyn

happinessengineer
happinessengineer Recent Posts Threads Started
14 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
happinessengineer says

Hi Glyn,

To be honest as far as I know the hourly rates for support guys are fairly low (compared to a guy who could take a job as a front end dev, for example earning anything from $30-50 even more, and as a support guy you’d be lucky to get $20/hr). I don’t know about joomla but WPML and WPMU guys are always hiring.

-roch

by
by
by
by
by
by