• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
baklach says

Hi,

I tried to find some info on wiki and in forums, but no luck. So i just want to ask:

Does we/envato marketplace users/anyone have rights to promote others, not his/her own files, on other sites, his/her site, giving link to the item page in envato marketplaces where it can be purchased? Without asking permission of the author?

Thanks!

203 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
iLochie says
Hi,

I tried to find some info on wiki and in forums, but no luck. So i just want to ask:

Does we/envato marketplace users/anyone have rights to promote others, not his/her own files, on other sites, his/her site, giving link to the item page in envato marketplaces where it can be purchased? Without asking permission of the author?

Thanks!
I think it’s really up to the author. But who’s gonna say no to some promotion? Unless it’s being promoted using “frowned upon” material..
3671 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Well.. it’s always kind to ask permission I guess, but there’ll be no author who says no if you promote in a respectful way ;) Also, you might want to throw in a referal link to the author if he doesn’t agree at first, as a sign of goodwill :)

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
theflyingtinman says

I would definitely hold off doing this if you intend to use your own referral link in the promotions. Back when authors first started submitting their Flashden work on Adobe Exchange one author submitted many other top Flashden authors’ works without permission, but used his own referral link. Of course the other authors got the exposure, but this author made hundreds of dollars in referrals. It was determined that this practice was not only unethical but contravened Adobe’s terms and conditions for use of Adobe Exchange (the submitter must own the Intellectual Property Rights to the submission)

Whether that ruling applied only to Adobe Exchange or not I don’t know, so I suggest you contact Envato support directly to determine if this would be allowed.

1182 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
campolar says
Well.. it’s always kind to ask permission I guess, but there’ll be no author who says no if you promote in a respectful way ;) Also, you might want to throw in a referal link to the author if he doesn’t agree at first, as a sign of goodwill :)

Why can’t he just use his own ref link? :P

143 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
cramdesign says

Seems like on a site you own would be okay, as you wouldn’t be taking the opportunity from the author. Something like Adobe Exchange sounds unethical for that reason.

404 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
JackGriffiths says

I think that’ll be fine, I’d get permission from the original author first.

As long as the promotion is not on these forums. :)

3085 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+1 more
Raincutter says

Would take permission of the author first no matter wherever I’d post it.

132 posts
  • Exclusive Author
baklach says

Thanks for sharing Your thoughts. I fact i don’t want to promote others files i just found one who does on his own site, as i understand, and makes himself the referrer. And there is not only my work :) This guy has 200-499 referrer badge :) Was just interested if it is legal, without permission, even if there is nothing in legal agreement of envato on this case, i don’t think it is polite to do without asking, well, still it is good to have exposure. My file had about 1900 view on that site. So maybe we should thank Him! :D Thanks!

732 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
50andJACK says

I really doubt permission is necesary as long as the site is yours. If it’s not, I don’t know, maybe asking for permission would be nice, but not mandatory.

by
by
by
by
by
by