1386 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
IngeniousArtist says

I uploaded a picture of a church in leipzig, germany and a lake in a public picnic spot. Do i actually need property release for that? :/ I have a lot of other pictures but im afraid they might also get rejected. but public properties do not need release forms signed :| please help anyone…

P.S- do i need a property release for the Taj Mahal?

5407 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Check out the Knowledgebase for info on property releases – http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/196/0/when-do-i-need-a-model-or-property-release

Hope that helps :)

1386 posts
+5 more
IngeniousArtist says

I checked the support and they said the same thing, i was confused and so i posted in the forums, kindly help me please :(

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Felicea says

Hello shahriyer,

the answer to your question isn’t easy, because of this the FAQ might be confusing.

The only safe answer is: it depends.

Am I right assuming, you are located in Germany? In Germany the most common law for public buildings is called “Panoramafreiheit”. Means you don’t need property releases for images you have taken while standing on free public places/streets at street level. If you use a ladder, a lifting ramp or even if you just climb up a tree, you’ll probably need a property release.

Sometimes even public parks are under private management and have specific regulations according commercial photography. For example you can’t sell photos you’ve taken on Flugfeld Tempelhof in Berlin without paying the management company.

Special rules are in place for some of our main cultural heritage around the word. You cannot sell images of the eifel tower without paying for a proper property release, either.

If something like this is in place for the Taj Mahal, you’ll must research at the authorities there.

Greetings, Mela

1386 posts
+5 more
IngeniousArtist says

Oh ok thanks for the info… And no I don’t live near Berlin, I went there on a trip 2 years ago :/ So its hard for me to get the property release now (i was standing on the street ofcourse, and the picture of a church i took in leipzig was soft rejected for release forms). So thats why i asked :/

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Felicea says

I’m adding a short explanation of the law in question. In German, I’m sorry.

Im Hinblick auf Rechte des Architekten und die Außenansicht eines Bauwerkes hat der Gesetzgeber in § 59 UrhG entschieden, dass Außenaufnahmen und deren Verwertung ohne Zustimmung des Urhebers (=Architekten) zulässig ist. Voraussetzung ist jedoch, dass die Aufnahme nicht von einem Privatgrundstück, sondern von öffentlicher Straße (Straße ist der öffentlich gewidmete Verkehrsraum inkl. Fahrbahn, Gehweg und Radweg) ohne Hilfsmittel (z.B. Leiter, Hubschrauber) aus aufgenommen wurde. Auch darf kein anderer Aufnahmestandpunkt als ein allgemein zugänglicher gewählt werden, also nur von der Straße aus fotografiert werden und nicht etwa von einem gegenüberliegenden Haus. Dann bedarf es auch keiner Zustimmung des Gebäude-Eigentümers, da dessen Grundstück ja nicht betreten wird und damit keine Verletzung des Eigentumsrechts und des daraus abgeleiteten Hausrechts erfolgt.

From: http://www.fotorecht.de/publikationen/gebaeude.html

Means, according do German law, you don’t need a property release even for churches. Maybe you can add a note to your image citing this part of the German intellectual property law. But if the rules of photodune are requiring a property release anyway, you’ll out of luck and just can’t use the image for your stock portfolio.

Hope that helps, Mela

1386 posts
+5 more
IngeniousArtist says

by
by
by
by