193 posts Test Subject at Envato Science
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

Hello everybody,

We have published a new article and a series of resources regarding protection of your copyright.

We’ve put together a range of articles to give you all the resources you need to help you send your own DMCA takedown notices. You can find all the information about this and some additional comments via Collis’ Notes post. http://notes.envato.com/authors/protecting-your-copyright/

Just let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Ibrahim

2301 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

Thank you for the post! It surely helps a lot.

But I have to say that the general impression is that you (envato) do not take any action against some marketplaces that sell rip-offs of videohive. They have been reported several times, we don’t even get a human-written answer from support after sending you links to several – as you call it “big players”.

Maybe you do it for your little baby themeforest…

This does not encourage me to further report anything to you guys. I just let my own stuff get removed and the rest of videohive stays online.

+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

Thank you for the post! It surely helps a lot.

But I have to say that the general impression is that you (envato) do not take any action against some marketplaces that sell rip-offs of videohive. They have been reported several times, we don’t even get a human-written answer from support after sending you links to several – as you call it “big players”.

Maybe you do it for your little baby themeforest…

This does not encourage me to further report anything to you guys. I just let my own stuff get removed and the rest of videohive stays online.

Hey Creattive!

Thanks for your response and feedback. We usually send DMCA takedown notices equally for all the marketplaces. Every month we report a lot of YouTube channels and other websites containing copyrighted content from VideoHive.

I understand that a response from support can be frustrating sometimes but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we do not review and send DMCAs for the content you report, it only means that we handle hundreds of daily abuse reports. There are some websites that are really hard to take down because of many reasons, one of them can be that the server is an offshore dedicated server and the company that owns the server does’t acknowledge our DMCAs.

Your abuse reports are really important to us, but we think that we can get better results if we work together on this.

Thanks!

2301 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

Okay, then look for a marketplace where everything costs 5 dollar. you can take down 95% of the whole video section.

a rough guess: that is copyright infrictions in over 2000 cases. of course forgetting the thousands of gigs that authors have removed theirselves already.

When can we expect something happening there?

edit/ I am sure many videohive authors are willing to collect links to copied materials when you use them for a big dmca or even to shut down the whole crappy marketplace. We should have a lot of links in just a few days.

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

@creattive

Dont forget the items you upload here are YOUR items and material, and you own intellectual copyright not Envato.

Any infringements should be handled by authors.

Anytime you publish material to public platforms, you will get problems relating to theft etc, but that isnt the fault or responsibility of the marketplaces.

+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

Okay, then look for a marketplace where everything costs 5 dollar. you can take down 95% of the whole video section.

a rough guess: that is copyright infrictions in over 2000 cases. of course forgetting the thousands of gigs that authors have removed theirselves already.

When can we expect something happening there?

edit/ I am sure many videohive authors are willing to collect links to copied materials when you use them for a big dmca or even to shut down the whole crappy marketplace. We should have a lot of links in just a few days.

Please keep in mind that when an illegal website is still online or its content is still available is because the hosting company doesn’t help us out to remove that specific content.

However, you don’t always need to wait until Envato sends a DMCA, authors also retain ownership of their work, so you can always try sending your own DMCA too, that’s why we are providing these resources. Sending a DMCA is not hard at all, it’s a very straightforward process, what it’s really hard is receiving a proper response from these companies after sending an abuse report.

Thanks!

387 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
motionvids says

Thanks Ibby and Collis! Finally this issue is getting some attention. :)

Oh man I know tons of sites like these. In my early days here I have always send these to support, but after a while they didn’t reply anymore and the sites however are still online. Let me know when you guys need the links and and official DMCA statement from me to help shut down these illegal marketplaces (yes that is plural, there are many). There was a Google Group dedicated to this, but it has been inactive for over a couple of months now.

One question for Ibby and others:

What do I do when I have to pay $12 every time to see the hosting url of my illegally hosted item? There is a website/marketplace that is asking members to pay $12 or more for my originally $40 worth VideoHive item. Only catch is, you actually have to be a member and pay the $12 to see the hosting link appear on this website. So before I can send a DMCA to one of the well known hosting websites, I’ll have to pay $12 every time they re-upload the thing.

Pirating is one thing, but illegally spreading asking money for an item that I’ve worked really hard on for months? That is like stealing a Michael Jackson CD and selling it for four times less the original price.

What can one do about this particular situation? I don’t want to pay the $12 to just be able to send a DMCA..

+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

Thanks Ibby and Collis! Finally this issue is getting some attention. :)

Oh man I know tons of sites like these. In my early days here I have always send these to support, but after a while they didn’t reply anymore and the sites however are still online. Let me know when you guys need the links and and official DMCA statement from me to help shut down these illegal marketplaces (yes that is plural, there are many). There was a Google Group dedicated to this, but it has been inactive for over a couple of months now.

One question for Ibby and others:

What do I do when I have to pay $12 every time to see the hosting url of my illegally hosted item? There is a website/marketplace that is asking members to pay $12 or more for my originally $40 worth VideoHive item. Only catch is, you actually have to be a member and pay the $12 to see the hosting link appear on this website. So before I can send a DMCA to one of the well known hosting websites, I’ll have to pay $12 every time they re-upload the thing.

Pirating is one thing, but illegally spreading asking money for an item that I’ve worked really hard on for months? That is like stealing a Michael Jackson CD and selling it for four times less the original price.

What can one do about this particular situation? I don’t want to pay the $12 to just be able to send a DMCA..

Hey motionvids,

In that specific case you need to send a DMCA takedown notice directly to the hosting company in order to take down the whole website; you only need to explain in which way they are using your content. The other option is sending a DMCA takedown notice to the payment provider; let’s say that website is taking payments via PayPal, then you can send a DMCA notice to PayPal and they will block the illegal account after confirming the infringements.

In the articles we have published along with Collis notes post, you can find an article about how to use the Whois Lookup tool, this tool can help you out to know what’s the specific hosting company behind a website.

Thanks!

132 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
amris says

What good does it do to send the DMCA, if the recipient just chooses to ignore it? So what? It’s not like I can force them in any way. Sadly it’s completely useless from my experience.

620 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
uniquefx says

Look for a marketplace where everything costs 5 dollar. you can take down 95% of the whole video section.

+1

This infamous marketplace just advertised one of my projects for 5$ on their social media to a following of 35k people (Shut down now) – I think Envato should get in touch with the marketplace directly to get a constructive discussion / solution talks started.

by
by
by
by
by
by