1274 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

On the contrary, I’ve been successfully sending hundreds of DMCAs for years, and it’s significantly helped my sales (in my business). I also report pirate sites to police in country of origin and vigorously takedown pirates and prosecute them. It’s my livelihood to protect, so I’m damn good at it.

Pirates are scum. Piracy is leeching from cheap freeloaders who should be jailed. I do my part to report blackhat forums, pirate sites and more to law enforcement agencies as well as send DMCAs. I’m quite good at it. Pirates who get jail time (or more often, probation plus monitoring of their internet activity) are taken out of the equation.

Time to take out the trash. Piracy is scum and I vigorously take them down, hard. Have for many years. Being online fulltime for over a decade, I’ve seen it all. If we don’t collectively fight piracy as hard as I do, your content ends up doing what happened to the adult/xxx industry, it’s been decimated because people didn’t fight piracy and now there’s so much on ‘tube sites there’s been a huge drop in subscription sales. We don’t want that to happen here.

Envato’s authors work hard—I’m a top buyer and support authors’ rights to a piracy-free ‘net, because it’s their livelihood. Be honest, be fair, fight pirates and take the scumbags down. I do. They’re shocked, I’m told, when they get a local police officer showing up to their flat/apartment with an ISP warrant and hauled off for illegal content distribution/piracy. I laugh at pirate’s downfall.

Step 1: See a pirate site? Look up their domain info via ping/tracing (whois data is often phony), or other sites like ip2location.com after pinging to find location.

Step 2: Send DMCA both to their site location listed but also check who.godaddy.com or similar to find official email, and .cc your DMCA there.

Step 3: If they fail to take it down, google “police office” “cybercrime division” in the city in which they are reported to be location via ping/whois.

Step 4: screencap/pdf save evidence of piracy on their site

Step 5: Phone the police in their city, ask for ‘cybercrime division’ and offer to email the investigating officer copies of the DMCA/illegal pirate information.

Step 6: Ask for a case number, to ensure they follow up, and record the info for investigation.

Step 7: Be patient, it’s not their top priority so may take several months before police contact you again, for any other info.

Step 8: Let the police do their job, when taking down pirates and forwarding info to their PA/prosecuting atty’s office for criminal prosecution.

Voila! Pirates get busted, often it’s stupid poor young people who think they’re being cool or can get away with it. PIrates who go after my stuff get busted and taken down. Fight piracy hard, folks. It matters. Otherwise look at the adult industry, it’s been decimated. Take regular action to kill pirate sites and take legal/criminal prosecution action to ‘take out the trash’. It counts.

-k

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

It’d be interesting to know how many genuine sales are being lost to pirates, I’d hazard a guess that it isn’t as many as people think.

Why would anyone in their right mind download a potentially trojan-infested, out of date theme or plugin, with no support or updates just to save a few dollars? I find it hard to believe there are that many serious potential customers who think to themselves “you know what, rather than pay $10 for that essential plugin I need for my business, with lifetime support and updates, I’ll instead take a chance on this warez version – unzip it on my PC and upload the files to my server.”

I can believe there are loads of idiots out there that will download and install stuff just because it’s there, but they probably wouldn’t pay any money for it if it wasn’t.

Maybe I’m wrong in my assumption though, maybe there really are more idiots than I think there are.

1274 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
graphic4444 says

the world has millions of idiots, sadly, lol. thousands rip content and think they’re getting away with it. for those that do, be warned that when police/law enforcement do what’s called an “ISP discovery”/technical audit, they also locate IP addresses of those who illegally download, for prosecution (as well as the uploaders). remember the situations of the illegal downloaders of mp3s that the MPAA continuously goes after.

just buy what you need, be honest and not a thief, and everyone’s happy. Everyone should look at themselves in the mirror, honestly, and be sure the person looking back is honest, decent and doesn’t steal from others. Piracy is stealing; some of us go after the thieves and make them pay, w/law enforcement actions (which stays on your record for life, impacting employment/credit/etc).

193 posts Test Subject at Envato Science
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

@thecodingdude, depends on how you perceive victory. Having your content taken down from illegal sites distributing your work is quite sufficient in these cases. We know they will pop up else where, but that’s a problem for a new dawn and a new day… a new life ( this song is stuck in my head today , just had to pay tribute lol )

Out of curiosity, how do you know that android app devs aren’t doing the minimum indispensable to protect themselves ?

We are aware that we can’t stop piracy entirely but by adding some friction, you level the playing field. Why sit around twiddling thumbs when there is a lot that can be done ?

@ibby, thanks for updating the already awesome knowledge base ;)

You’re welcome Typps!

193 posts Test Subject at Envato Science
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

Hey guys, lots of interesting opinions here and great ideas, but as we have to review flagged responses I’m going to close this thread temporarily while the community team takes care of these.

Thanks so much!

5422 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Hi everyone, this is obviously a very passionate subject which is partly why we don’t typically permit discussion of piracy in our forums. As a reminder, the purpose of the thread is to ask any questions or clarifications around copyright protection. We encourage you to ask Ibrahim any questions that our guidelines may not already address. We certainly hope the new information will be useful to many of you.

@Thecodingdude We have unfortunately had to remove your comments as they were either knowingly or unknowingly advocating piracy and/or were failing to understand the terms and conditions of our licenses on our Marketplaces. Please familiarize yourself with our Licensing terms as they do not allow the sharing and distribution of items.

@SonicCube and others – As some of these comments were quoted by other community members we’ve had to remove those comments too.

Meanwhile, please continue to keep this conversation on topic within the purpose and objective of the original post and please be respectful of one another’s opinions as per our community guidelines. Thanks so much for understanding, let’s get back to the thread!

98 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
LEFS says

good to know. more weapons to add to my arsenal for fighting piracy!

747 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
LCweb says

Just a note for Ibrahim about our previous discussion:
I’ve openet a ticket (#NGG-531-29561) attaching an excel file with a lot of data catched by me in these months that could be useful for you ;)

5422 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

@Thecodingdude You’ve been asked to keep this thread on topic and ask any questions or clarifications around copyright protection. This is not a forum to discuss piracy. As outlined in our guidelines we will continue to remove posts discussing or linking to piracy. Off-topic comments will continue to be removed from this thread, so please do not continue to post them. Thanks!

no-thumbnail
accudatamarketing Recent Posts Threads Started
13 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
accudatamarketing says

I have a quick question, what happens if I purchase a product and it gets removed due to copyright issues? Do I get notified via email and a full refund is issued to us buyers? Also, I noticed all the product pages include this statement ” © All Rights Reserved [author name] Contact Envato Support” how does Envato know that the author actually own the rights to the file that they uploaded? Is there any type of extensive background check before files are approved? Just thinking out loud because I know that these things can be tricky but I do believe being 100% transparent about the process of these issues is key to continued healthy community growth.

by
by
by
by
by
by