1268 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

that’s a good question, especially if it’s something like an infringing video clip or other media that some dishonest person uploaded to sell here, claiming as their own… then gets taken down when true copyright owner sends DMCA to envato… what happens to buyers? We don’t want to use infringing content on our sites, I’d suggest that if that occurs, at least envato notifies buyers and issues store credit for any content that was posted for sale here, that should’nt be. any word, envato staff? tia

193 posts Test Subject at Envato Science
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

good to know. more weapons to add to my arsenal for fighting piracy!

Thanks! I’m glad that you found these resources helpful.

+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

Just a note for Ibrahim about our previous discussion:
I’ve openet a ticket (#NGG-531-29561) attaching an excel file with a lot of data catched by me in these months that could be useful for you ;)

hey LCweb! I’ll reply to your ticket very soon. My apologies for the longer than usual response, we are just experiencing a high volume of requests. But I’ll get there very soon!

Thanks for your feedback and help!

+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

I have a quick question, what happens if I purchase a product and it gets removed due to copyright issues? Do I get notified via email and a full refund is issued to us buyers? Also, I noticed all the product pages include this statement ” © All Rights Reserved [author name] Contact Envato Support” how does Envato know that the author actually own the rights to the file that they uploaded? Is there any type of extensive background check before files are approved? Just thinking out loud because I know that these things can be tricky but I do believe being 100% transparent about the process of these issues is key to continued healthy community growth.

Great questions. You won’t get notifications when an item is removed from our marketplaces, we usually recommend keeping a copy of the files just in case this happens, we can’t guarantee availability of files because these could be removed by the author instead. Having said that, we have a refund policy for removed files which you can find here http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/219/55/a-file-i-bought-is-no-longer-in-my-downloads-whats-happened – if it’s a copyright issue just create a ticket, we’ll review the case and issue the refund if required.

Our reviewers work really hard on confirming if the current author is the real owner of the copyright before approving submissions but of course sometimes this process can be bypassed by few members and after all it’s author’s responsibility to submit unique items without copyright infringement to the marketplaces. However, we take copyright very seriously and we comply with the law, if we find items like this we immediately remove them from the marketplaces and membership accounts will likely to get disabled.

I agree that this can be tricky and we are always 100% transparent, but it’s hard to control and predict some of of these members.

Anyway, thanks for your questions and concern!

Cheers!

+6 more
Ibby Envato team says

that’s a good question, especially if it’s something like an infringing video clip or other media that some dishonest person uploaded to sell here, claiming as their own… then gets taken down when true copyright owner sends DMCA to envato… what happens to buyers? We don’t want to use infringing content on our sites, I’d suggest that if that occurs, at least envato notifies buyers and issues store credit for any content that was posted for sale here, that should’nt be. any word, envato staff? tia

Hey graphic4444, thanks for your question. Just read my response to accudatamarketing. In addition to that, we have two possible scenarios here. The first, we detect the file infringing copyright and we disable it immediately; the second, the original copyright owner sends a DMCA takedown notice for a file we haven’t detected yet, we disable it immediately too. Again, we take copyright very seriously, we would not allow copyright infringement by any means.

In regards to refunds because of copyright infringements, all you need to do is create a ticket to Envato Support, we’ll review the case and will issue the refund if required and after having confirmed the potential infringement. We are always happy to help out.

Thanks for your questions and feedback.

no-thumbnail
accudatamarketing Recent Posts Threads Started
13 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
accudatamarketing says

I have a quick question, what happens if I purchase a product and it gets removed due to copyright issues? Do I get notified via email and a full refund is issued to us buyers? Also, I noticed all the product pages include this statement ” © All Rights Reserved [author name] Contact Envato Support” how does Envato know that the author actually own the rights to the file that they uploaded? Is there any type of extensive background check before files are approved? Just thinking out loud because I know that these things can be tricky but I do believe being 100% transparent about the process of these issues is key to continued healthy community growth.

Great questions. You won’t get notifications when an item is removed from our marketplaces, we usually recommend keeping a copy of the files just in case this happens, we can’t guarantee availability of files because these could be removed by the author instead. Having said that, we have a refund policy for removed files which you can find here http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/219/55/a-file-i-bought-is-no-longer-in-my-downloads-whats-happened – if it’s a copyright issue just create a ticket, we’ll review the case and issue the refund if required.

Our reviewers work really hard on confirming if the current author is the real owner of the copyright before approving submissions but of course sometimes this process can be bypassed by few members and after all it’s author’s responsibility to submit unique items without copyright infringement to the marketplaces. However, we take copyright very seriously and we comply with the law, if we find items like this we immediately remove them from the marketplaces and membership accounts will likely to get disabled.

I agree that this can be tricky and we are always 100% transparent, but it’s hard to control and predict some of of these members.

Anyway, thanks for your questions and concern!

Cheers!

How do we know if a file we purchased was removed due to copyright infringement? Essentially we could purchase a theme and if it were taken down / removed due to copyright our license would no longer be valid because the person who uploaded and sold the item didn’t have the right to do that.

This why us buyers need to know these things. If the original copyright owner contacts us and says “where did you get this” and we tell them we purchased form Envato, this would mean that since they are the original copyright owner, they could send us a DMCA notice and then we’d get in trouble.

We could purchase a theme, spend countless hours putting together our website and then have no proof that we actually own a license to use the file since it is copyrighted by someone who didn’t authorize the sale in the first place.

I really feel for the sake of us buyers that this needs to be situated somehow. I’m sure this doesn’t happen all the time but there is always a possibility that this could and probably has happened in the past and us buyers are stuck in the dark and could be held liable for a product we purchased from this marketplace.

Hope this helps and thank you for your prompt response!

739 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
LCweb says

Just a note for Ibrahim about our previous discussion:
I’ve openet a ticket (#NGG-531-29561) attaching an excel file with a lot of data catched by me in these months that could be useful for you ;)

hey LCweb! I’ll reply to your ticket very soon. My apologies for the longer than usual response, we are just experiencing a high volume of requests. But I’ll get there very soon!

Thanks for your feedback and help!

Thanks, count to hear you soon ;)

2180 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

Anyway, let’s talk about that website you have mentioned before, please send a support ticket which I’ll reply by myself and we’ll check what’s the best approach for that specific case.

Cheers!

I have just removed another 15 gigs offering my work on that specific website.

this is my ticket id: BTY-409-90280

This is the last time I will come to you with this, I remove my content and thats it. if you want to have your whole marketplace ripped and sold for $5, go ahead.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
dakotaboy says

In the US, if you continually send DMCA notices and never take actual legal action… you run the risk of becoming labeled a “copyright troll” and being heavily fined by US courts. I wouldn’t be free and loose with my DMCA notices.

by
by
by
by
by
by