• Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

I also am pleased AJ is looking deeply into this. Not allowing PRO -registered music is my number 1 issue with AJ. Right now if I compose a track I really love I have to think twice about whether it should go to my AJ portfolio or my other options simply based on the PRO implications.

richspeller_music
richspeller_music Recent Posts Threads Started
131 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
richspeller_music says

I also am pleased AJ is looking deeply into this. Not allowing PRO -registered music is my number 1 issue with AJ. Right now if I compose a track I really love I have to think twice about whether it should go to my AJ portfolio or my other options simply based on the PRO implications.

+1. Yes, me too. I have begun to move items to other sites. It is a huge restriction to us.

17 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
abbaspremjee says

+1 Excellent topic and point… thanks for posting. I can totally relate to all the points raised by all esp. big tuna and pink zebra (love all these funky animal names)... i think production companies have been taking advantage of us little guys. They should be forced to file a cue sheet… it is hardly any effort. If AJ thinks about it, it’s writers are its biggest asset… take care of us.. and we writers are the future of music… the dynamics are rapidly changing. If AJ allowed PRO registered music, i would be exclusive and have more music here…

142 posts For the Love of Music and Sound
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • United States
audiophile-trax says

If AJ thinks about it, it’s writers are its biggest asset… take care of us.. and we writers are the future of music… the dynamics are rapidly changing.

+1.

I was reading through this thread yesterday and am glad to see it revived. This is an issue we should not forget about, it can be a deal breaker for a lot of authors. I love audiojungle, it’s my favorite of all the music library sites I’ve seen. But there are just a couple big gaps right now that really cost the authors. One is the non-PRO abilities, and then second is I think our prices are a little low. They could be higher to reflect the industry standard on the majority of other sites, and I don’t think AJ or its authors would lose profit because of it.

Anyways, I hope that this issue or PRO royalties can be put at the top of envato’s agenda. As you said abbaspremjee, the dynamics of music, specifically music licensing, are changing very quickly.

409 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
joesacco says

Don’t bother with suggestions guys you are wasting your time.

142 posts For the Love of Music and Sound
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
audiophile-trax says

Don’t bother with suggestions guys you are wasting your time.

I don’t agree. I got to meet Scott at the Nashville meetup last week and he along with the other staff members were all ears when it came to listening to the authors’ ideas. If the envato team knows this is really important to us, they’re eventually going to make it happen.

409 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
joesacco says

I guess you haven’t been here long enough…

30 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
muscma02 says

I really hope that this gets addressed, and doesn’t get forgotten about. Not being PRO friendly really makes me 2nd guess the music I want to upload. I don’t want to bite the hand that feeds but if a large project is going to purchase a license and pay 14 bucks for a big broadcast, I would like to make some PRO money on the back end. Besides the fact I feel like the music is being sold way to cheap I feel like not being able to get some back end payments from the broadcasters hurts. I mean the person that bought the music DOESN’T pay but the broadcasters do. That money is already set aside for us to collect and by not having the music registered we are just throwing it away.

It’s like if we were all bartenders. A person comes in and buys a drink then leaves a tip. Basically by not allowing PRO registered music we are saying no thanks, but I will let the bar keep the tip money.

To me it is a huge deal. It makes me think twice about putting my best music on here because it will sell for so cheap and I will never be able to collect money that is already set aside for me. The only hope is dealing in shear volume, but even so that might make me wonder how more I am potentially losing. I really hope this issue doesn’t get pushed aside.

23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
donbrae says

+1

1175 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

It’s pretty clear that Envato is determined to keep Audiojungle absolutely royalty-free for now. I can see their point of view because it does confuse their brand a little bit if they start introducing non royalty-free licenses into the marketplace. For them royalty-free MEANS royalty-free.

I don’t necessarily agree with their point of view – mainly because they are missing out on a ton of money and as a result it just doesn’t make business sense to me, but… I don’t run Envato.

So yes, the result of this, and you can see it from many authors from top to bottom, is that a lot of us don’t upload our best music here. 95% of my work is rejected cues / experiments / improvisations that would only sit on my hard drive otherwise. The cues with really high production values and that I spend a lot of time on, end up at a library music company and that gets good placements for me.

At the end of the day, it is your choice what music to upload here, and everyone knows the rules. You don’t have to agree with them, but they are there for everyone to see. I must admit though, it does sadden me when people’s music is used in a big corporate ad knowing that the fee paid was absolutely minimal.

Apparantly Envato did an author survey a few months back about licensing. They did a great job updating the basic / extended licensing terms, but I don’t think they explored anything further with Audiojungle and the huge array of licenses we could actually sell. They kinda tried to bundle it all into the Extended license, but they really need to get more specific with licenses appropriate to each marketplace. In that sense, Envato’s greatest strength (the interconnected nature of all its sites) is also a big weakness because it’s probably quite difficult to make big fundamental changes to one marketplace.

One other thing to consider. I don’t think Envato were prepared for how big Audiojungle got. It’s very obvious that no-one with any major experience with the music business/music libraries set up Audiojungle. It was a great short-term business idea, but they didn’t plan that far ahead (this is just how I see it). They really do need to hire someone with extensive experience in this field to run Audiojungle, because it is not reaching its full potential. It’s not that they’re doing a bad job, it’s just that they could be doing SO much better.

by
by
by
by
by
by