• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

Fair comment, I apologise that wasn’t really directed at anyone in particular but that business practice is really bad for business.

I think in general, the PSD yes/no feature on the item page should be looked at in terms of describing what exactly is in there e.g. full site psd, or just elements etc.

960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

p.s. I just realised I have a new sheriff badge lol

302 posts Codestar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+2 more
Codestar says
p.s. I just realised I have a new sheriff badge lol

congratulations sheriff! LOL ! :D

63 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
IWDstudios says

I know people do it. I am not one of those people. I will tell my customers that I am using or plan on using a template. Most of the time I tell them to come here and pick out one they like. Then I install it and fill the content and make any code changes they require. This is good business for the authors. I think some of the higher selling guys are making some good money on themeforest.

48 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
xentris says
Unless I’ve misunderstood here, you’re saying that you are buying themes on here, then selling them on to clients for 10x the price? I’m pretty sure you’re misleading your clients there, charging for work that you haven’t done. Good luck with your business.

Lets do a quick calculation, if I am to assume that a good designer could create a solid theme in a week then he has the capacity to make 3 to 5 themes a month . A professional freelancer do not have the benefits of working at a firm so he has to charge for his insurance etc. Simply, a freelance designer should be making at least $3-5 k a month to live a decent life. Otherwise why bother learning all this css, js, wp, JQ , magento , photoshop jazz.. So, to make 3-5k a month ( at least) each one of your designs should make you $1k to $2k. (and I’m really taking the the global recession into the quation here).

Not a single author here can claim that they design just to sell 10 copies each! You guys should know the true know the value of your work.. What I’m suggesting here is that design is a serious thing, a theme author should at least make 1-$2k from any theme, a person who’s editing the thmes should at least make 200 dollars eve if the work is done by other, because it mostly requires design knowledge to edit these things. If I were to setup a template for 25 dollars then I’d need 100 clients each month to pay my bills :)

So, when the end user realizes that these themes are “cheap” even when sold to masses he thinks that design is a “cheap” work. He sees that a good theme is sold like 70 times x 20 dollars. So he figures that the whole design does not cost that much.

I have been approached by a client.. He wanted “features” without knowing that he needs a blog! I wnet ahead and set it up in wordpress. Then he simply said,” if I wanted a WP site I’d buy one at themeforest for 30 bucks.” That’s where it’s going.

960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says
I have been approached by a client.. He wanted “features” without knowing that he needs a blog! I wnet ahead and set it up in wordpress. Then he simply said,” if I wanted a WP site I’d buy one at themeforest for 30 bucks.” That’s where it’s going.

I can sort of see where this is going, these types of clients are usually the same ones that say things like “don’t do 5 revisions, just get it right the first time it’ll save me money” lol.

63 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
IWDstudios says

Yes Jeff, those are the customers that go on the clients from hell site. I think anyone who things web design should stay the same as it was five or ten years ago is smoking crack. Things evolve. If you don’t evolve your business with it then you die. That’s just how it is.

by
by
by
by
by
by