• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
danharper says

I’ve noticed quite a few files which are listed in the PSD section, are later being sold by the author as HTML templates also – and in many cases, for the same price.

I thought ThemeForest weren’t allowing this?

Surely the PSD item should be removed if it is later being sold as HTML ?

343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United Kingdom
JackHowell says

Shouldn’t it at least be sold for more otherwise that’s kinda shortchanging the buyer?

Personally if there is demand for a PSD to be upgraded to a full template then I think it is a good idea to have the same updated design on the site but not for the same price because you are obviously getting more for your money.

I did ask about this recently and most of the feedback was that having the same design ‘twice’ is a bit unfair…

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

It’s not forbidden; however, we’d appreciate it if the PSD template was removed after uploading an identical site template. :)

118 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
elisent says

It should be forbidden, what’s stopping the guys selling templates uploading just the .psd files and doubling their exposure + homepage time.

Uploading the same item twice is not fair to the other authors.

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says
It should be forbidden, what’s stopping the guys selling templates uploading just the .psd files and doubling their exposure + homepage time. Uploading the same item twice is not fair to the other authors.

Bravo!

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
It should be forbidden, what’s stopping the guys selling templates uploading just the .psd files and doubling their exposure + homepage time. Uploading the same item twice is not fair to the other authors.

I’m not sure I completely agree. I certainly see your point. But think about this: As a developer, I am extremely comfortable coding a .psd, and I would have no issue buying only a .psd if it was what I was looking for, as it would save me money. But what about the person that also likes that design but has no coding skill? Should he/she be denied the template because the author wasn’t allowed to upload it for both categories?

In addition, and just playing a little devils advocate here ;) But why shouldn’t the author get twice the coverage? If both files were accepted, then you can bet they put a lot of work into each file, one time designing it, and another time going back to slice and code/debug it.

I hope I didn’t come off argumentative, just my two cents.

Drew

322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I actually agree with OXYLUSDESIGN but the problem is the price point was not considered well enough before venturing into psd template sales here. CreatingDrew you mentioned a price break but there are psd templates selling for same price as a fully coded html template. OXYLUSDESIGN mentioned it’s not fair that you can get double exposure but there is some talk about having a bargain bin that I imagine also will be included on the home page and will lower any exposure we hope to have. I think the psd section is an awesome idea but it has to truly be premium designs and not make exceptions for new concepts with a sub-par design.

2541 posts
  • United States
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
I actually agree with OXYLUSDESIGN but the problem is the price point was not considered well enough before venturing into psd template sales here. CreatingDrew you mentioned a price break but there are psd templates selling for same price as a fully coded html template. OXYLUSDESIGN mentioned it’s not fair that you can get double exposure but there is some talk about having a bargain bin that I imagine also will be included on the home page and will lower any exposure we hope to have. I think the psd section is an awesome idea but it has to truly be premium designs and not make exceptions for new concepts with a sub-par design.
Actually, I wasn’t aware that some psd templates (my fault for not paying enough attention) went for the same price as HTML templates, in which case would change my arguments some. Thanks for that piece of info shadow.

I guess my point is that I can see both a .psd file and an HTML template (with the same design) being purchased by two different kinds of people, which is great for the market overall.

-Drew

292 posts
  • Australia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Ezza says
As a developer, I am extremely comfortable coding a .psd, and I would have no issue buying only a .psd if it was what I was looking for, as it would save me money.

Even assuming a reasonable price difference though, would you want to go to the effort of coding it when the author has already done so and you can save yourself hours of work for a few bucks? I’d just be lazy and buy the coded version then make any modifications I needed to.

I suppose this does depend on what level of modifications you wanted to make to the template too.

2541 posts
  • United States
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
As a developer, I am extremely comfortable coding a .psd, and I would have no issue buying only a .psd if it was what I was looking for, as it would save me money.

Even assuming a reasonable price difference though, would you want to go to the effort of coding it when the author has already done so and you can save yourself hours of work for a few bucks? I’d just be lazy and buy the coded version then make any modifications I needed to.

I suppose this does depend on what level of modifications you wanted to make to the template too.
To be honest, it really would depend on my budget, even though it is just few bucks. Any amount of money is really a lot for me as I am still in college and need to save all I can. But yes, I can see your point of spending 5 or so extra bucks for the code already coded. It all adds up though.
by
by
by
by
by
by