738 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+7 more
josweb says

Hi all, I am new here… just did the test! I would like to try and add some projects to Themeforest, however I am a little confused! I am not sure about including a .psd template? I handcode and only use Photoshop for elements within my designs. I never layout the entire page in Photoshop so I can’t really include a psd template. If I create say the main structure of the layout e.g background, header, body bg and footer… does this count as a psd template? It wouldn’t have any text or image placeholders etc on it…

I would however include separate psds e.g for design elements, graphics, header etc..

many thanks in advance!

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

If you want to publish your design in the PSD category of ThemeForest you need the whole layout. But if you want to upload your design to the site template directory you don’t even have to include the PSD file. But buyers like it ;)

738 posts
+7 more
josweb says

Many thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I want to upload to site templates. Where it says files included: layered psd. Does this have to be the entire layout? If I design for example the header as a layred psd then the footer as a layered psd… Does this count?

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

Yes. If you include all design elements you used to build the site it should count ;)

ProgressionStudios
ProgressionStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
221 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
ProgressionStudios says

Download the Free File of the Month and see what they included ;-) Include whatever you think the buyer would want. Also, make sure your documentation is clear and detailed.

1036 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

I was in the same situation like you for my latest template, I just had PSD elements and I took a couple of hours to create the whole layout and put everything together. As Broof said, buyers like it and if you don’t include it, they’ll probably ask for it :)

738 posts
+7 more
josweb says

Many thanks for all of your replies, it’s making things clearer to me. It’s just a new way of working for me after designing sites for six years the way that I do! If I do a psd layout does it have to be exactly the same as the html code? i.e exact positioning, margins, padding etc? Or is it a guideline?

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
MelforDMThemes says

Since including the PSD is optional there are no guidelines. It is often not even possible to have the exact same PSD as the HTML version because of the reviewing process which may take some improvements you don’t want to add to the PSD afterwards.

It’s a bonus, it doesn’t matter if you only include some backgrounds and buttons or the whole layout.

All the best :)

Stupid me, posted with wrong nickname, sorry!

738 posts
+7 more
josweb says

Thanks so much, I feel a little more confident now, as this matter was making me all confused! =) @MelforDMThemes – what is your proper nickname?!

by
by
by
by
by
by