• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Hi all, just wanted to revive a topic, lately i am seeing PSD designs that are coming out that have 130+ files, I wanted to ask you all do you know how much invested time and energy it takes to make something like this? this is an issue that lately disturbs me a lot, since this prices really degrade design itself and designers at all.

I mean $12. Now I know most of you will say if PSD’s prices get up the rest has to also, but is that true? I get that there is no real support here but never the less it seems a bit off, since if a photograph can take a shot and sell full res image here for $7 then surly something isn’t right isn’t it?

Just wanted to get your opinions on this since I don’t want to be the only one feeling confused :)

475 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
FlatKing says

I agree there should be more of a price difference but most of the time it’s about 20 files that are just different colours. One page PSD should cost less than a multi-purpose site but I don’t think it should be valued on just the amount of files

332 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Romania
QBKL says

Completely agree! Creating a good, unified design for a multipage site can take even more than a week for a perfectionist professional. The pricing doesn’t reflect the level of work involved in such cases. While other items do have the advantage of truly multiple sales that in the end might make up for the work involved in a HTML or WP item, with PSD sales it simply isn’t the case as they don’t sale that much / enough to cover the true value of a really well executed pixel-perfect design.

But then again, this is a general issue with the current pricing system here. It’s not based on quality or real work involved. Otherwise we’d see both $6 and $30 PSDs, $35 and $75+ WP themes and so on…

One page PSDs can easily be regarded not as site designs, but if properly executed… they are complete unified style UI kits. And in such cases, they are worth their money. Indeed, it’s not a matter of how many files, but rather a matter of how many well done UI elements.

1378 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovenia
Anps says

I agree, but still its a difference in time how many different elements you have. And some PSD’s take a month to design properly since nobody here doesn’t take in account that there is creativity involved here, ideas don’t just pop like 1+1=2 it take time, i can’t even count how many times i deleted files and start designing from scratch.

And as pricing goes this kind of pricing is competition killing since a multi-purpose is basically not that any more but rather more themes in one pack its almost the same as me taking 10 themes from tf and sell them as a bundle.

Same case as PSD’s.

Very good point QBKL!

so for example if one makes a simple wordpress niche site and the other a tons of sites in one there should be a a big difference in price so you level up the field, since in this case its is massacring all other levels of work because why wouldn’t you pay $15 for everything in one.

I remember a certain author here that sold simple designs and was really popular, tough in last time I didn’t see his work in most popular (since he doesn’t make Swiss knife work ).

And BTW top all in one sites would get the same income tough sales would be lower prices would be much higher so… its a win win situation :)

23 posts
  • Egypt
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
divme says

I am totally agree that PSD files more than 10 pages have more than 10-12$

3449 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

+1 Anps

I am so tired of bloating my themes with dozens of features just because this is the competition. What’s even worse, is that users aren’t educated well enough about these things and they buy themes with 100+ features, even if they won’t use any.

Just yesterday i stumbled upon a website using of the top 5 popular themes here and the poor fellow had around 5-10 useless javascript files on his site. He didn’t have any sliders embedded, yet he had all styles and scripts for both Revolution Slider and Layer Slider. He didn’t use any fancy portfolio but he had scripts of isotope, and so on..

WordPress themes should range from $30-$150. The same for PSD / HTML / everything!

1378 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Yes! Just did some easy calculating if pricing for those humangus themes went up from 55 to 110 if sales drop in half they would still make the same money :)

And the point is that people buy some dare i say normal themes and then they request on support some features from the others for example “why your theme does’t not support his shortcode as that theme” :S Its the same as i would say why android doesn’t have siri :)

I started this thread on PSD’s but this goes for all the marketplace. But as we know this kind of implementation will not happen for hmmm lets say another 54 years? :)

4533 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Yeh pricing doesn’t seem to make sense.

One page theme $9
One page theme with blog pages $10
Multi page theme 100+ pages $12

In my opinion those PSD’s with 100’s of pages should go for around $20.. they obviously took many hours of hard work to put together, and at $12 it’s too much of a bargain and will under cut other themes.

6 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
ClaPat says

I think PSD files should be more expensive. From a good design take birth a nice template and make a lot of sales. IMHO

215 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
themeflame says

I also agree that moving the sidebar from left to right takes a lot of effort and it should be rewarded accordingly.

All the best, themeflame

by
by
by
by
by
by