• Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CleanScript says

Hello,

As with any new product, html, wp, joomla, concrete etc. you have the option to add psd files to it. How required are these files? are clients asking for them if they are missing? did you get requests? How do you approach this “problem”?

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
-bianca- says

I believe they are not a requirement for the theme. It’s nice if you attach them but not an obligation. Kriesi recently sold his enfold separately from the theme. consider that :)

1716 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

Clients always want as much as possible. But it’s not a requirement, (the Kriesi case as @bianca said above). You can sell the PSD separated too.

187 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. I actually know about the crisis case, I’m just wondering if there are any more cases where the clients are requiring psd files with their products. What are the psd files required for? What is kit that they need it for?

1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
gbs says

For example if they need to change some graphic elements etc., or just because most themes include the PSD files so they ask for that :D

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
-bianca- says

Me personally, I don’t get the whole “I want the PSD included” at all. Finally the design has to be build in code and that’s what they are buying when they buy HTML. What you can consider is:

• how much time does it take me to make one (do your first make it in PSD and code after or code directly)
  • price of your item (is it a fair requirement for a buyer to want for that price)
  • how many requests did you get for it.

• If you had many requests for a PSD you can ask these people why they want it so badly and if they are willing to pay for it.
    For me as I said I don’t get it…. :)
    187 posts
    • Romania
    • Exclusive Author
    CleanScript says

Me personally, I don’t get the whole “I want the PSD included” at all. Finally the design has to be build in code and that’s what they are buying when they buy HTML. What you can consider is:
  • how much time does it take me to make one (do your first make it in PSD and code after or code directly)
  • price of your item (is it a fair requirement for a buyer to want for that price)
  • how many requests did you get for it.

• If you had many requests for a PSD you can ask these people why they want it so badly and if they are willing to pay for it.
    For me as I said I don’t get it…. :)

I totally agree, the HTML is the star. If you really have graphics that require you to give design files, sure, but otherwise psd files with the entire design is just time consuming.

2152 posts
    • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
    • Argentina
    • Exclusive Author
    • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
    manuelvega says

Is not mandarory , but in my opinion is a plus and is always more organized to change graphics elements before coding.

Some people offer it, (i include sometimes) if someone does not want it just do not use it.

539 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
    • Elite Author
    • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
    • United States
    • Has been a member for 4-5 years
    • Referred between 50 and 99 users
    • Exclusive Author
    GravityDept says

From 1200+ sales, I’ve had under 10 ask for mockup PSDs. I tell them it was designed in the browser, but all source assets are included. Only 1 balked at their absence. I think it’s very unimportant.

187 posts
    • Romania
    • Exclusive Author
    CleanScript says

From 1200+ sales, I’ve had under 10 ask for mockup PSDs. I tell them it was designed in the browser, but all source assets are included. Only 1 balked at their absence. I think it’s very unimportant.

Ok, this was helpful! I totally agree with this take on the problem!

Cheers!

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by