2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

The thing is, this author is not reallyan author. He was paid by envato to submit Magento stuff when they launch the category.

I see it more like an Envato account .. so they can submit 2 item with the same design but just some CSS changes.

I remember Brandon did this with Atlantica too .. it was an hot topic at the time.

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says
The thing is, this author is not reallyan author. He was paid by envato to submit Magento stuff when they launch the category.

I see it more like an Envato account .. so they can submit 2 item with the same design but just some CSS changes.

I remember Brandon did this with Atlantica too .. it was an hot topic at the time.

I know

1182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
campolar says
  • I have never worked with magento so my comment shouldn’t be taken seriously *

It is possible that for a magento theme, even offering a dark and light category is such an heck of a job that it HAS to be included as two items?

Maybe?

584 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
GravityDept says

Magento is my domain, so I’m going to comment. The author in question is a competing marketplace for Magento themes that previously listed a large handful of items for the launch. Those items were removed in bulk about 3 days ago.

The two new items are identical, exception coloration. I think one should be removed, not because it is a cheap ploy but because I don’t want the Magento category to turn into the mess over in Wordpress where a theme needs 12 color variations, 55 slider options, and 250+ admin options to compete. These are trivial CSS changes but it creates a baseline requirement for themes that is unnecessary and unsustainable. If anybody wonders why themes get rejected, that’s why. You raised the bar without thinking if you should.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
If anybody wonders why themes get rejected, that’s why. You raised the bar without thinking if you should.

Oh yeah totally… All the top selling authors raising the bar should have not done so well and kept the standards low… so everyone could continue submitting mediocre themes. Sorry, I don’t really agree with what you’re saying…

I don’t want the Magento category to turn into the mess over in Wordpress where a theme needs 12 color variations, 55 slider options, and 250+ admin options to compete.

It sounds like you’re saying that you don’t want the bar to ever raise. What’s wrong with someone submitting a Magento theme with 10 color choices and beating out everyone for sales, and then you have it … the bar is raised. Why is this is a problem?

584 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Located in United States
+3 more
GravityDept says

@ themeblvd — You’re confusing features/options with quality.

What I see in Wordpress is 90% of authors dedicating time to custom sliders and color variations when they should be using that time to make better designs. That’s why everything is so homogenized and boring now = jQuery menus + Cu3er + three column footer. Again?

A few authors (who kill it in sales) are doing the opposite. Raise the bar with design. I welcome it. Changing colors isn’t design, leave that to executives playing designer.

204 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
r0nka says

What I see in Wordpress is 90% of authors dedicating time to custom sliders and color variations when they should be using that time to make better designs. That’s why everything is so homogenized and boring now = jQuery menus + Cu3er + three column footer. Again?

A few authors (who kill it in sales) are doing the opposite. Raise the bar with design. I welcome it. Changing colors isn’t design, leave that to executives playing designer.

+1

1429 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says
What I see in Wordpress is 90% of authors dedicating time to custom sliders and color variations when they should be using that time to make better designs. That’s why everything is so homogenized and boring now = jQuery menus + Cu3er + three column footer. Again? A few authors (who kill it in sales) are doing the opposite. Raise the bar with design. I welcome it. Changing colors isn’t design, leave that to executives playing designer.
Don’t know why, I love this quote :)
1028 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

Noone ever said that the design should suffer.. I’m not suggesting that we should pick a lot of features OR a good design?

But you are right about the fact that so many themes coming out are way too similar… and it gets kind of boring seeing the same design again and again… but I don’t think the answer to that is cutting back on features.

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Header + Nav + Slider + 3 Columns + Footer = More sales > Business! Period.

I noticed some great simple blog designs and they aren’t great sellers, corporate designs are the killers here. The latest theme from Simon Bouchard is remarkable and his sales aren’t that good.

The design should be high of course but there’s nothing wrong with the layout IMHO . It’s boring for you and for me but sadly that’s the business, if you don’t believe me see inFocus or Awake.

by
by
by
by
by
by