• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+11 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

mate built a waterproof quad out of some left over insulating foam

\\

sits in the pool just fine and scoots around on the surface. doesn’t matter if the motors get a little wet either. at the speed they spin they pretty much shoot all water off anyway

the only video I could find was when I sticky taped my phone onto it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelPxxyDcWo&t=22s

there are plenty of other great waterproof videos on youtube, even ones with gopros mounted low so they can film underwater when landed in a river and then take off and film above water.

326 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Portugal
+3 more
cmoreira says

Really sorry about this… I keep finding interesting stuff ever since you opened this thread. I know it’s somewhat unrelated to your initial question, but thought you guys might enjoy watching this regardless :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2itwFJCgFQ

If you’d like me to stop, please let me know. :P

p.s: this is not completely off-topic, as the last Quad is carrying a gopro haha

Really amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing the link!

I need a new hoobie, but this seems a quite expensive one, no? (the chopper + camara) Correct me if I’m wrong :)

2566 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+12 more
contrastblack Staff says

Really sorry about this… I keep finding interesting stuff ever since you opened this thread. I know it’s somewhat unrelated to your initial question, but thought you guys might enjoy watching this regardless :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2itwFJCgFQ

p.s: this is not completely off-topic, as the last Quad is carrying a gopro haha

Really amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing the link!

I need a new hoobie, but this seems a quite expensive one, no? (the chopper + camara) Correct me if I’m wrong :)

Well usually, as with any hobby, it’s best to start up slowly, and start spending insane amounts of money on it only after you feel comfortable or “good at it” :D

The lower end kits cost about as much as a gopro hero3 camera… the top tier and custom builds range in the thousands (including RF transmitter and depending on budget POV systems can add another small car worth of cash to the equation)

Glad you guys liked the links, if I stumble upon any more related stuff, I’ll be sure to drop some in here :)

741 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Poland
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Orbital_Themes says

I know Dave ( aka DTBaker ) started a thread about this a while ago, I am sure it was QuadCopters. So I just wanted to know if anyone had used the following:

1. DJI Phantom Quadcopter or similar …

2. GoPro

If so have you any images you can share, experiences etc. We are lookign at possibly investing in one of these for a little curiosity venture we are crunching.

The issues from what I can glean from internet, are vibrations thru to the Camera. But that is about it.

DJI Phantom is an overpriced, but popular ready-to-fly quad. I wouldn’t recommend investing in it, though. You can build yourself a quad that will handle much better for a fraction of the price or spend the same amount of money for slightly bigger hexacopter that will enable you to lift a proper camera gimbal, probably with better camera than GoPro (if you are interested in aerial photography). If you are interested in FPV setup there are also much better solutions out there, for example ‘H’ quad frame.

Other than financial benefits (not spending money on overpriced Phantom), there are other benefits to starting with custom build:

• If something goes wrong you will know exactly what failed because you have built the machine and know its every detail.
  • It’s better to learn flying in manual mode first. Having a GPS/autopilot equipped machine as your first won’t let you learn how to fly properly. If the GPS/autopilot fails and you don’t know how to fly manually you can say goodbye to your machine.
  • The remote controller in Phantom is pretty crappy and you can’t use it for anything other than Phantom. Chances are that you will want to build something bigger in the future, so investing in proper Tx/Rx unit will be necessary.
  • You won’t be able to lift proper camera rig with Phantom, but you will probably be able to build a hex that will lift brushless gimbal with Sony Nex for the price of Phantom.

Now, about vibrations – you can use vibration dampeners weather you want to hard-mount a GoPro for FPV or use camera stabilization system. With properly balanced motor/prop combo, vibration dampeners and brushless gimbal you will be able to achieve almost perfect image stabilization. Check out this video – the guy is flying very aggressively and pushing his setup over the limits, but still the stabilization is almost flawless.

With all that said, regardless of which setup you choose you will crash. It’s best to learn on something like this – it’s a cheap, small Chinese toy quadcopter, but with this your crashes won’t eat into your budget. Just remember to pick up few batteries and propeller sets with it – you will break lots of them.

Let me know if you need any help with setting up your rig. :)

4 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
eyepaq says

This is the last site I thought I will see a thread about copters :) and also the best video with quads – the one with the grom :D

And to add my 2c – building your own rig is not as easy as it sounds. For the ones that did build any rigs in the past it might seams easier but for a novice is not – I’ve seen several that tried and ended up with higher costs.

DJI Phantom indeed is not the cheapest solution but for sure is the easiest and fastest one and it really dosen’t cost an arm and a leg. If you are into FPV then you need to get a QAV540G . it’s worth every penny.

Here is a video with a QAV540G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4sQkKAYqhk

The quad is only 50% of the fly – skill is the rest.

cheerreeeooo

1256 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

Just wow, those acrobatics were astounding.

326 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Portugal
+3 more
cmoreira says

by
by