no-thumbnail
designhowyouthink Recent Posts Threads Started
5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
designhowyouthink says

Having been a member for nearly 3 years now there are some really amazing things you have done here, no doubt about it! However, QUALITY CONTROL is not one of those things.

essentially, here is what I would like to rely on as a consumer:
1- when an author uploads a template I want to know that someone from themeforest actually opened that template, installed it and most importantly, went through the documentation one line at a time and made 100% sure that documentation was
A: sane
B: readable and accurate
C: actually works as claimed by the author

Intended result: the person at themeforest should be able to make that template look like the one advertised without doing any imports, right out of the box by following the set up instructions. If they can not then the theme should be REJECTED, or at the very least rated for the items above.

Example: you open the theme and it does not install properly, the documentation is not clear and you were not able to easily make the theme look like the one advertised might be rated like so:
A: Sanity: 0% FAIL (took over 20 hours to install)
B: readable and accurate: 10% POOR
C: actually works as claimed by the author: 15% POOR
D: validation: HTML : 250 Errors | CSS: 50 Errors -according to w3c validator
E: security: vulnerable, uses scripts which make the site easy to hack (note: this means that TF would need real web developers on staff to review of course…)
F: Overall: F- low grade
Notes: fails all of googles page optimization tests, documentation is not well defined, could not turn features on or off, too much inline CSS and Javascript, incompatibility issues, no regard for web standards.

The other thing I see ALLOT of is authors adding in an absurd number of features, or no useful features. Let me give 2 examples:

EX 1- ABSURD number of features:
we bought a commerce template recently, The author added support for multiple commerce plugins and then tried to compensate, the result was an absurd number of sidebars one for each plugin, too many TPL options to make any sense, bad semantic markup, and poor javascripting from too many incompatible scripts to the point that the admin panel features stopped working unless the theme was turned off making it basically useless. He then decided that adding every single HEX color option into the option tree AND including a cache plugin was somehow a “sane idea” and the result was a giant mess.

EX 2- NO features:
we bought a news template recently, there was a ton of stuff hard-coded into the template that make it basically useless. The author decided that he would hardcode the taxonomy into the template, so when we went to change the MUSIC category into MOVIES it could not be done without rewriting the entire backed taxonomy, in addition, there were NO features that allowed this to be changed and all the PHP vars were stuffed into the template in a way that also meant we had to rewrite every single database query. The documentation was BS copied from Wordpress.com and only showed how to use wordpress and not the template, useless.

In closing: this is an awesome community, my experience has mostly been positive, however, it only takes one bad apple… I would like to see the TF product be better than awesome, I would like to see it become a WEB STANDARD haven instead of a mad rush for authors to cash in on poorly coded nice looking templates. (please do not become the next thememonster… you are so close to being the best theme site on the web, take it all the way!!! wooooo!)

82 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
subwaymatch says

I definitely agree with you that too many unnecessary features leads to code overload. I don’t really have a comment about the taxonomy since I’m guessing it was meant to be only used as a music taxonomy.

In terms of setting up themes, I don’t think there is an easy way to make the fresh install look like demo without importing anything. It would be a cool feature for a future Wordpress update (to enable a default import file).

BTW, did you mean Templatemonster?

:)

Park

26 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Bulgaria
+3 more
xavortm says

I agree with the most you’ve said. Sure, that kind of inspection is good for high quality, but, then TF needs 20+ reviewers, because even now, some people wait a lot to get theme up and running.

+ One more thing to ask you, do yo think that after you get soft rejected, another reviewer must check the new submitted theme, or it MUST be the same as before. (i don’t want answer “who finds it first”

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Romania
NicoaraCostin says

Regarding this topic i would like to point out someting that i saw just now browsing through the new aprovals. In the footer of the wp theme MaS there is a height difference between the input text-area and the submit button of about 1-2 px. It`s not much but it pops in your eye(thanks to that yellow bg). Unless discrepancies are the new “thing” now, some themes are not reviewed in dept. This is not the first theme that i saw with height differences but i had to point this out. Maybe the author is watching and would like to fix that before marketing his theme as super pro tips and other eye catching “standards”.

1523 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Thanks a lot for the feedback, useful info.
We need more and more opinions from buyers.

BUYERS, HOW DO YOU BUY?

no-thumbnail
5 posts
designhowyouthink says
BTW, did you mean Templatemonster?
yep. lol
no-thumbnail
5 posts
designhowyouthink says

Unless discrepancies are the new “thing” now, some themes are not reviewed in dept.

CSS stuff is not the core issue here so much as template functionality. I could care less if we are 2px off on a button class, however, the proper syntax, validation, seems more important to me. One possible solution might be to earn the “validated at” badge? Always nice to see the green box with “100% valid XHTML Strict 1.0” on it.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
creativesousa says

I agree with you, enough of no 100% theme function. We all win with that control. In first buy, thought that already has a control. If it that easy, i will try to do a theme my self xD

no-thumbnail
5 posts
designhowyouthink says

I agree with you, enough of no 100% theme function. We all win with that control. In first buy, thought that already has a control. If it that easy, i will try to do a theme my self xD
wow… I now see how deep the rabbit hole is. perhaps this idea of quality control is also one of international community control as well. Either that or our own educational system has failed us here in the USA.
by
by
by
by
by
by