146 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
CodeByASH says

After getting late to this party, I had to read 14 pages all together… ;(

If ActiveDen accept AS2 , they deserve the same treatment that all files have, if the TOPIC here is QUALITY CONTROL , I don’t believe that has nothing to do with AS2 or AS3 , it’s about looks and performance, for example “P&K” has some great AS2 files far more deserving to be featured than Unity or some lame featured AS3 files, and he’s been punish and loosing money for that lack of support or acknowledgement to his great work.

If ActiveDen considers AS2 files lesser files than AS3 and AS2 file don’t deserve promotion or any recognition…. Then stop accepting AS2 files. :dead:

And have a great banner like this one…

Just to clarify all my current files and file under review are AS2 ;)

843 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
marcfolio says

After getting late to this party, I had to read 14 pages all together… ;(

If ActiveDen accept AS2 , they deserve the same treatment that all files have, if the TOPIC here is QUALITY CONTROL , I don’t believe that has nothing to do with AS2 or AS3 , it’s about looks and performance, for example “P&K” has some great AS2 files far more deserving to be featured than Unity or some lame featured AS3 files, and he’s been punish and loosing money for that lack of support or acknowledgement to his great work.

If ActiveDen considers AS2 files lesser files than AS3 and AS2 file don’t deserve promotion or any recognition…. Then stop accepting AS2 files. :dead:

And have a great banner like this one…

Just to clarify all my current files and file under review are AS2 ;)

P&K and every author who author’s AS2 files are not being punished for developing AS2 files. In fact P&K has been featured before and it’s been my experience that you get the spot light once and then they give it to a million others. Sure I would love it if my file made file of the week or if I was featured author, but the truth is you can’t rely on activeden to promote your files. I don’t know how those are picked. Sometimes i think they should just give it to the top handful of authors. But the sad truth is if you want more exposure you need to upload something new (AS2 or AS3 ) whatever. If you quit uploading slowly your sales sink as files become buried in the long list of files and as market saturation happens with your files. Look at all the original flashden authors who quit uploading. Once you stop some one else will step up to take your place.

As for the AS2 and AS3 debate AS3 is better. End of discussion. If you’re only comfortable with AS2 then create in AS2 and upload. Your file will get the same treatment as the rest of us. I’d say less than 1% of the files get featured so chances are whether it was AS2 or AS3 you’re not going to be featured so don’t cry over opportunities lost. And if you feel yourself holding off learning AS3 because it’s too difficult then you better think about another career away from interactive design and development.

217 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
animike says

I too am coming to this party late, but I’ve definitely replied to earlier threads that were very similar. So maybe I am actually coming to this party early even tho i am only replying now. Figure that one out.

Here is my perspective having been in the Flash game since early 1998. If you don’t evolve you won’t survive. However, to the average user and buyer (at this time) AS2 v AS3 is a moot point. To the developer it is obviously a different discussion, but until developer’s start buying my files, I don’t really care what they say. BTW All of my new uploads are AS3 files if anyone wants to know.

Most of the authors (those that I follow) are relevant to me because they have an interesting aesthetic. i don’t even know if their code is AS2 or AS3 because it doesn’t matter. I follow them because I like their style, they are innovative, or because they sell a lot of files. This could be because they are good designers, they have many options, or simply because they’ve been around for a while. Possessing all three is certainly best of all.

The sad thing is that over the past year I’ve seen few new files from my “favorites” Marbles, PK, michaelhejja (to name a few). I feel like they feel the same as I do the main reason this thread was started These “old dogs” find that it isn’t worth the effort of creating new files anymore because their efforts are washed away from relevance in less than time than it took to create them. I can relate. Spending 6 weeks developing a file that spends 3 days on the homepage is hardly worth the time involved.

Perhaps here is a solution In lieu of punishing and criticizing those that are attempting to learn so they can feel the joy of checking your account to see you’ve made a sale (I used to do it all the time when I started), or bashing the AS2 /AS3 argument down our throats again, we can honor these founding fathers on the homepage, by instituting an “over 3000 sales” club. So, if some of the top authors were to upload files, they could get showcased here (and be showcased longer). I am not a member of this club yet, in case you were thinking I was trying to bully my way in. You can make the number lower if you want (2500, 1000) just enough to prove that the author’s files are worth the extra time on the homepage. This feature would give the noobs something to shoot for and give the really talented developers (or designers) an incentive to keep adding files. After all AD, I’m sure it was DS’s 30,000 sales that helped you financially launch all the other market places (and bobocel, dxc381, and all the other “old dogs”). These authors are talented and their sales prove that.

FOLLOWING authors is a nice band-aid for this, but it was instituted after my time AND after my feature (which happened sometime in 2008 – i think. I can’t even find it on the site anymore). Set the bar high and keep moving it up. Make sure the people that showcase the best of what Flash is capable of continue to be encouraged to be active participants in the future of AD, or it will be destined to become inActiveDen.

2177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

I just looked over the posts, I wont get into the AS2 vs AS3 debated because you know my opinion… About the quality standards, TF have high standards I realized that when I was trying to upload my WP Theme but it is much harder to have such standards applied to AD because if we sold only templates then the bar could be raised but with things like “facebook like button” you cannot really say if it meats the quality standards or not. As many of you said before me I think there should be separate marketplace for templates (stand alone flash files) only.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

If you can think like that, you might as well still be coding in AS1 . Sure exceptional design is nice and all, but the more advanced technology is what helps to progress growth and expansion.
Those exaggerations keeps these threads going. There is a difference between promoting and ignoring. Time for me to escape permanently from this topic. No use.

Okay, maybe I went too far with that one. Sorry about that. Anyway, in my point of view I can see both sides of the argument. But I’m consistent with the idea that advancement outweighs the adverse lesser.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

I went to sleep and woke up realizing that my thoughts aren’t needed about these types of things. I quit. :P

217 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
animike says

I went to sleep and woke up realizing that my thoughts aren’t needed about these types of things. I quit. :P

Ha. I know what you mean Shucks. Lance usually locks most threads shortly after I comment on them. Oh well.

146 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
CodeByASH says

P&K and every author who author’s AS2 files are not being punished for developing AS2 files. In fact P&K has been featured before and it’s been my experience that you get the spot light once and then they give it to a million others. Sure I would love it if my file made file of the week or if I was featured author, but the truth is you can’t rely on activeden to promote your files. I don’t know how those are picked. Sometimes i think they should just give it to the top handful of authors. But the sad truth is if you want more exposure you need to upload something new (AS2 or AS3 ) whatever. If you quit uploading slowly your sales sink as files become buried in the long list of files and as market saturation happens with your files. Look at all the original flashden authors who quit uploading. Once you stop some one else will step up to take your place. As for the AS2 and AS3 debate AS3 is better. End of discussion. If you’re only comfortable with AS2 then create in AS2 and upload. Your file will get the same treatment as the rest of us. I’d say less than 1% of the files get featured so chances are whether it was AS2 or AS3 you’re not going to be featured so don’t cry over opportunities lost. And if you feel yourself holding off learning AS3 because it’s too difficult then you better think about another career away from interactive design and development.

I’m not getting on the AS2 /AS3 what’s better argument and believe me that I agree we must all move to AS3 very soon, in fact I started last year changing my current files to AS3 version, and will do the same will the rest.

But I don’t agree with a double standard, and depicting some file as less worthy, and you can’t deny actions like discrimination some types of “ACCEPTED” files of some promotion features does no help.

There’s still a market for AS2 files and some buyers really don’t care about AS2 /AS3.

Should authors care? A definitely yes… Should authors write in AS3 ? A definitely yes… Should ActiveDen have a double standard for AS2 Flash Files? A definitely NO…

843 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+2 more
marcfolio says

P&K and every author who author’s AS2 files are not being punished for developing AS2 files. In fact P&K has been featured before and it’s been my experience that you get the spot light once and then they give it to a million others. Sure I would love it if my file made file of the week or if I was featured author, but the truth is you can’t rely on activeden to promote your files. I don’t know how those are picked. Sometimes i think they should just give it to the top handful of authors. But the sad truth is if you want more exposure you need to upload something new (AS2 or AS3 ) whatever. If you quit uploading slowly your sales sink as files become buried in the long list of files and as market saturation happens with your files. Look at all the original flashden authors who quit uploading. Once you stop some one else will step up to take your place. As for the AS2 and AS3 debate AS3 is better. End of discussion. If you’re only comfortable with AS2 then create in AS2 and upload. Your file will get the same treatment as the rest of us. I’d say less than 1% of the files get featured so chances are whether it was AS2 or AS3 you’re not going to be featured so don’t cry over opportunities lost. And if you feel yourself holding off learning AS3 because it’s too difficult then you better think about another career away from interactive design and development.

I’m not getting on the AS2 /AS3 what’s better argument and believe me that I agree we must all move to AS3 very soon, in fact I started last year changing my current files to AS3 version, and will do the same will the rest.

But I don’t agree with a double standard, and depicting some file as less worthy, and you can’t deny actions like discrimination some types of “ACCEPTED” files of some promotion features does no help.

There’s still a market for AS2 files and some buyers really don’t care about AS2 /AS3.

Should authors care? A definitely yes… Should authors write in AS3 ? A definitely yes… Should ActiveDen have a double standard for AS2 Flash Files? A definitely NO…

I don’t think AD has a double standard here. You admit yourself that the way forward is AS3 , and maybe clients or customers don’t know the difference but as promoters of all things flash we as authors (and activeden in general) should be promoting the best flash files, and from a coding side AS2 files just aren’t it. AS3 has been around now since 2006, and I bet that if every flash developer would have embraced AS3 in the first year or 2 that it came out the haters against flash today wouldn’t have as much ground to stand on as they do now. AS2 is processor hungry, a memory hog, and there’s not much excuse why any author here should be coding in it. I think AD promotes AS3 files only because they’re trying to encourage authors to code better, and it wouldn’t surprise me if AD stopped accepting AS2 files all together by the end of this year.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

It’s incredible how in a stock market nobody talks about the design. There are competitors sites that have based their fortune on an appealing design (and if you look at their sources you would like to kill yourself).

People buys what looks good, nobody can look at the code on the preview pages.

And let’s say that code and design are 50% & 50% important. Well, if the designers must learn as3, then the coders here MUST learn to design…

If you code “bad” (and let’s demonstrate this) you can’t be featured.

If you design bad… nobody cares.

Sad marketplace. On TF people get rejected also 10 times… some are never allowed to publish anything.

They don’t push you to make html5 or php6, they only care about overall quality… they reject you also if the file you upload doesn’t look good.

by
by
by
by
by
by