3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

And because I don’t wanna ear again “switch to as3 and shut up” I will prepare a screenshot of my as3 framework (111 classes, 50.000 lines of Parker code… 3rd party code is not considered) to let those people understand why we don’t use it for AD files…

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

@pk: I think you don’t ever need a huge framework to sell as3 template here. Basically it’s just different syntax of variable and method name. No one forces you to do OOP , you still have the same promotion like any other AS3 file and the workflow is exactly the same like AS2 !

Buyer really don’t care AS3 vs AS2 as long as it’s all XML driven.

I think you have a bad impression about promotion of AS3 here, but if you look at different perspective it actually won’t hurt anything.

cheers

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

And because I don’t wanna ear again “switch to as3 and shut up” I will prepare a screenshot of my as3 framework (111 classes, 50.000 lines of Parker code… 3rd party code is not considered) to let those people understand why we don’t use it for AD files…
this isn’t clear to me, could you explain ?

coz mine is 655 classes, 47k lines of code and i use it on AD…...
6085 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

this isn’t clear to me, could you explain ?

coz mine is 655 classes, 47k lines of code and i use it on AD…...

P&K is specific about site templates and the way it is customized by buyers. Your items are different.

2010 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

P&K is specific about site templates and the way it is customized by buyers. Your items are different.
mmmm… that does not sound convincing …
my guess is they don’t want to include those sources
115 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
+7 more
Webmarbles says

I completely agree with everything P&K has said till now in this topic (hi P&K :chuckle: )! This whole discussion moves to AS2 vs. AS3 everytime but let’s stick to quality control. The bar should be raised at least 10 times higher. It’s already visible when comparing the thumbnails of the files in comparison to those on ThemeForest, let alone the files itself.

Even when a template looks ‘quite’ nice, still every to often I see major disappointments: scrollwheels not working for scrolling, no deeplinking, button hitareas that are too small, etc. etc. etc. That isn’t an AS2 /AS3 discussion at all, it’s just a matter of not paying enough attention as an author to your file because it will be accepted anyway.

I have created AS2 files up till now and also never ever had a complaint from a customer. Like P&K says, it is only about XML breaking down or loading problems for example. If I would build my templates in AS3 , I would create EXACTLY the same files as I do now in AS2 . That’s also why any motivation in the AS2 /AS3 discussion is pointless here, a high quality standard can be reached with AS2 easily (I hope my templates proof so, and I definitely feel that templates of e.g. Damojo, P&K and DS proof so).

So, once again, let’s stick to the point of the topic. Quality control has to get 10 times higher for these aspects:
  • Thumbnail design;
  • Design of the file itself;
  • Interaction consistency in the file;
  • Originality of the file;
  • Amount of predefined options of the file;

NOT AS2 /AS3. I am disappointed that my AS2 files in the future will not be able to get special promotion, I am quite sure I do a good job in user experience, and that’s what it’s about in my opinion.

I’m aware that the set of aspects is difficult to use for ‘simple’ animations for example, but I am sure it will also be possible to have a quality standard for those files. Everyone, including me, is very enthusiastic about the files of Kontramax for example. I’m less enthusiastic about many other animations, hence there is a spectrum of quality there also.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

@Webmarbles: I have to run right now so I can’t say much, please read my previous post about the issue.

In short it is so easy to just chop down any file that do not meet our bar but there is only very few author who qualifies enough to reach that standard. You will see days or even weeks there is really no new file approved at all. You may say it’s better but new buyer will wonder is this marketplace already dead or why isn’t it active at all (how irony ActiveDen) ?

The issue is way complex than you guys think, AD is a part of Envato marketplace every changes will effect other site, that’s also explained why it is slow to adapt any improvement.

723 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
BigZ says

In short it is so easy to just chop down any file that do not meet our bar but there is only very few author who qualifies enough to reach that standard. You will see days or even weeks there is really no new file approved at all. You may say it’s better but new buyer will wonder is this marketplace already dead or why isn’t it active at all (how irony ActiveDen) ?

I am not sure about this one, you’re probably right in most of the cases. But, I think it also could lead to more conversation on the forums about design/interaction to improve quality. And it will create oppurtunity for new (professional) authors who do not want their files to blend in with the “low-quality files” and get more exposure time.

31 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
wildPixels says

It’s OK they’re all AS3 files.. so that must mean they are better so makes sense.

I wondering if you had a look over your code…

723 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
BigZ says

It’s OK they’re all AS3 files.. so that must mean they are better so makes sense.
I wondering if you had a look over your code…

Please… don’t do this. It can only lead to 3 pages of people shouting at each other.

by
by
by
by
by
by