171 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
clarklab says

I’m not trying to be rude or call out this particular template, but how do things like this get approved? It just seems to be below average quality. The layout is rough, the preview JPGs are so over-compressed you can barely look past it, and there is no live preview.

985 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

yeah, i was afraid of writing about this ;) but i’m also thinking that quality control should be on a much higher level. Themeforest should be a place with great themes for small price, that will make succes, if here will be a lot of poor quality items, no one gonna buy it. And it’s not just about that particular item showed by clarklab, I can find here a lot of similar. I don’t want to offend anyone, I know that also my items aren’t top-notch, but sometimes I have a feeling that some items are accepted by mistake.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys – this is something that’s definitely being noted. I’ve been thinking about this for the last week or so.

Now that our community base is up to around 85,000, I’ll soon be instructing the reviewers (including myself) to be more strict about the themes they accept.

Don’t worry. Your concerns are warranted. I’ll keep everyone posted.

322 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I completely agree and thought the quality would be higher than what it currently is. I think what I’m most surprised by is that some of the templates are not IE6 compatible. Like it or not IE6 is still a major browser and to provide a template that doesn’t support it…well it’s worthless and will only lead to buyers being upset.

35 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
zachlebar says

@shadow66142000 – (wow, your name was tough to remember :P) I think that some web developers out there are trying to make a statement by not supporting IE6 , and so they don’t. While it is still a “major” browser, it’s a pain in the butt, especially if they are trying to create a cutting edge site( PNG transparency, css quirks, etc. ) are annoying. ive thought about ditching it, and depending on the theme, it may be able to get by( eg. a portfolio theme, or something else that the prospective buyer may feel similarly to the creator), but if it’s a business theme, then ur right, you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

Back to the original discussion…

I agree that Envato seems to be just trying to get themes in the door, and people signed up, and frankly, that’s a little annoying. But, when my themes finally come out, I know I’ve put a lot of effort into them, and they’ll stand out from the crowd. I’ve learned from others mistakes. So, I guess its been good for me. :)

29 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
dontangg says
35 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
zachlebar says

i got a 404 error. :)

29 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
dontangg says

Oh, the period got included in the url. I’ll try again:

http://www.neverfriday.com/sweetfriday/2008/09/-a-long-time-ago.html

322 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

@zachlebar – I used this name way back when I created an account on Flashden and at the time never considered selling anything. After I uploaded a template I realized I wanted to change it but couldn’t get Envato to do so and my only option would have been to create a new account. Those who have purchased my files would not be able to get updates and so I bit the bullet and decided to keep it for the sake of support.

This is a place of business and has no room for personal statements. I have never created a design that I couldn’t make work in IE6 . I don’t get any enjoyment coding for IE6 but it’s part of the job and so I do it.

35 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
zachlebar says

@shadow66142000 – I agree, this isn’t the place for personal statements. if you want to do that, do it on your own site. i was just explaining their rationale for doing so. i hate IE6 as much as the next guy, but for now I’ve gotta live with it. sorry if i came off sounding sermonish…i guess i should reread my posts before i post ‘em. ;)

@dontangg – WOW ! It looks uglier in person. Sorry, but it really does.

by
by
by
by
by
by