335 posts Andre28 - Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
andre28 says

hi everybody… i have a small question that came up in my mind, just a doubt that i want to be sure about it…

in my designs, here on graphicriver, can i use elements that everyone can find for free on internet or i have to design everything by myself??

for example, if i’m doing a business card and i want to use an icon of a telephone near the “telephone number space”, and i find a “free set of telephone icon” file on internet with it, can i include it in my design?? if not, also, if i modify it, is it still not correct??

just to be sure about copyright, i don’t want to do something against the law ;)

3085 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says

If the license of an item that you find on the internet states that you can use that is free for commercial use then you can use them in your items here. Though sometimes even when they state that the item is free for commercial use, there might be some conditions on using them. So it’s always good to read the whole license agreement.

Other then that, you cannot modify any free item. If the license of an item states that you can modify it, only then you should consider modifying it.

Edit: Hope that helps. BTW Welcome aboard. It’s always good to see new authors who want to know about the legal stuff before starting up.

2104 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Best moustache of Envato's Movember Australia contest
+12 more
DarkstarDesigns says

you could probably get away with it but it would have to have the right licience.

Even when things are free they are often for personal or non commercial work, so you would have to make sure the you have the right to modify and sell.

But to be honest with you, you should really try and create all things yourself, you will end up with more unique items.

+4 more
andre28 says

if there is written something like this:

“You can use for personal and commercial purposes, do not sell or redistribute.”

it means i can use it also here right?? and also if i want, i can modify in the way i like it right??

btw, thanks for the advices and the quick answers ;)

3085 posts
+6 more
Raincutter says

Also here is a link to all the copyright info in Envato wiki.

http://wiki.envato.com/selling/copyright-selling/copyright-101/

3085 posts
+6 more
Raincutter says

if there is written something like this:

“You can use for personal and commercial purposes, do not sell or redistribute.”

it means i can use it also here right?? and also if i want, i can modify in the way i like it right??

btw, thanks for the advices and the quick answers ;)

Term ‘redistributing’ is actually quite confusing. You might be able to use it but by ‘do not sell’ they mean that you cannot take that item and put it as is anywhere for your commercial use. ‘Do not redistribute’ as I said, is kinda confusing. I never used those which had it written because what I think about it is that if I use an icon from some icon set (with this license), then I’m including the icon in PSD and redistributing it which breaks the agreement. But as I said, I’m not quite sure about the redistributing part.

+4 more
andre28 says

ok, thanks i guess is better do all by myself so ahah ;) for sure i came up with something unique

529 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
AmandaHackwith says

You’ll be responsible for verifying that you have the right to use any and all assets in your file. When in doubt, try to contact the original author and ask. :)

343 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Artorius says

Commercial use doesn’t necessarily imply you can redistribute and sell the item. For example if you find a telephone icon with a license that states you can use it for commercial projects but you cannot redistribute/sell it, it basically means you can incorporate the icon into a project you are being paid for (like a web site or a poster) but you may not provide the item to users for download.

So for the envato marketplaces, it would mean you can use the icon in the preview, but not in the file for download.

314 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
stefusilviu says

What if you use photos and icons in your preview but not in the actual files? Is that legal?

I must read the licence that came with that photo.

by
by
by
by
by
by