9 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
raybreaker says

Hello, everyone! I have following question:

I purchased one of plugin from Code Canyon with extended licence so I can integrate it with one of my theme. The plugin author then removed extended licence option so now only regular licence available for purchasing on Code Canyon.

If I understand correctly I still can use this plugin in my theme despite fact that plugin author no more sell it, as I own extended licence certificate. Is that right? I spend about month or so to specially integrate this plugin with theme and if I knew that plugin author will remove extended licence I of course purchased other plugin for this purpose.

P.S. I ask it because today plugin’s author contacted me and asked to remove this plugin from my theme. I of course can confirm that I purchased this plugin with extended licence certificate.

Thanks for all answers in advance!

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
WPWiseOwl says

You’re NEVER allowed to use a plugin in a theme just because you purchased an extended license. You ALWAYS also require the author’s written permission. This can be a email or other written form. If you already have this, you’re fine. Otherwise, you’ll need to obtain it. If you can’t, you’ll want to contact Envato support to explain the situation and potentially seek a refund so that you can instead work with another author. It’s typically best to contact any author BEFORE purchasing the license to see if they’ll grant you permission.

The fact the author has asked you to remove the plugin from your theme could mean that the author has no intention of ever giving permission for your use. However, the author may never have been informed of your use case / doesn’t remember that you’ve purchased an extended license. Did you inform the author of the account / theme names that would be bundling the plugin? No? Again, merely proving that you purchased an extended license is not sufficient. In either case, you have no choice right now but to remove it until you’ve come to an agreement with the author. Failure to do so immediately could result in having a DMCA notice served on you or worse.

9 posts
+1 more
raybreaker says

Thanks for your answer WPWiseOwl! I can’t find any mention of this in http://themeforest.net/licenses/extended . I also requested staff reply and want to know what they say about this issue.

I only find this: 2. You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product may be Sold and I think it clearly give me right to sell it on themeforest.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
WPWiseOwl says

I see. It’s the booking system you’ve bundled in your recent WP Hotel theme, right?

You may have missed this part of the official CodeCanyon licensing FAQ?

http://codecanyon.net/licenses/faq#small-element-stock-a

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

@raybreaker, you are now allowed to include other items in your themes without the consent of the author, just as @WPWiseOwl. Remove the plugin or the author can file a DCMA and your account will get suspended, then bye-bye money :)

9 posts
+1 more
raybreaker says

Thanks for your answers WPWiseOwl and RubenBristian. Yeah, it’s my recent WP Hotel theme. I don’t wanted to cheat someone with licence or something like this. I still can’t figure out how this possible that in http://themeforest.net/licenses/extended item 2 says:

You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product may be Sold.

item 5 says: You can Sell and make any number of copies of the single End Product.

Descriptions section below says that you can: Sell, license, sub-license or distribute for any type of fee or charge.

And only on other FAQ page: http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq#faq-section-author in very bottom I can find:

Use of items in larger stock projects is not allowed under the default regular or extended licenses, but there are exceptions.

It’s terms at least not clear and controversial. What should I do now so plugin’s author don’t file DCMA. Should I ask staff to suspend sales of theme temporarily until I change this plugin on other?

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

For your reference: http://notes.envato.com/general/extended-license-changes-part-1/

I’d suggest you contact the author and explain that you made a mistake and ask them for permission to distribute. Ask them if there is an additional licensing cost that you can pay to be able to use it.

If they say yes, you’re good to go.

If they say no, offer to pay them for the number of copies you’ve distributed and remove it from your theme as soon as possible.

by
by
by
by
by
by