3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Hi guys, I’ve got a portfolio site using Prosite, which is basically your behance projects on a website. I’m hoping to get some referral earnings with it, and I’ve got the buy links on the projects. My question is do I need to put this code on my links – rel=”nofollow” ? I remember it’s something to do with seo. Prosite is supposed to have some seo happening so people will find your site.

Thanks!

abhimanyusharma003
abhimanyusharma003 Recent Posts Threads Started
679 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
abhimanyusharma003 says

What happen when you put link as ‘nofollow’
when google crawls your website and find this link tagged with this it does not give any preference to that link, no effect on page rank.
If you want your project to be get higher in search results especially of google don not use nofollow.
Basically with nofollow there is no effect on page rank.
Other search interpret it differently. Wiki

328 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
cmoreira says

I work in a SEO company. I would advise all affiliate links to have the rel=’nofollow’.

It’s a precaution since Google might penalize ‘paid links’ and sometimes affiliate links are viewed as one. Putting the rel=”nofollow” on your links, you’re saying google to ‘ignore’ those links. It doesn’t affect the SEO of your site, you will still rank, etc.. it’s just a precaution measure. If you google ‘affiliate links nofollow’ you will find tons of info about the subject.

63 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
AgentVIP says

All that additional parameter does, is advise the search engines whether or not to follow that link, but Google and Yahoo will still follow the link regardless.

Niether Google, Yahoo or Bing use the link for ranking/indexing. This means that the site you link to, will not gain the benefits of being linked to, which in general, is seen as bad practise.

Do you need to put the attribute on your links? Not at all

3732 posts
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Thanks for the replies! Ah well it seems I don’t really need to understand all the specifics of it. I’ll take your word for it that I don’t need “nofollow” on my links. :)

328 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
cmoreira says

Thanks for the replies! Ah well it seems I don’t really need to understand all the specifics of it. I’ll take your word for it that I don’t need “nofollow” on my links. :)

My advise would be to add the nofollow only to the affiliate links. Since you mentioned you are “hoping to get some referral earnings with it” I guess you’ll use the affiliate links to envato marketplace, right? But this is my opinion, others might think it’s not necessary…

3732 posts
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

My advise would be to add the nofollow only to the affiliate links. Since you mentioned you are “hoping to get some referral earnings with it” I guess you’ll use the affiliate links to envato marketplace, right? But this is my opinion, others might think it’s not necessary…

Yes I’m using affiliate links. What should I add to the link, is it like -

?ref=ToivoMedia&rel=”nofollow”

Thanks

2459 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
digitalimpact says

No, it’s more like:

<a href="http://....?ref=ToivoMedia" rel="nofollow">Link</a>

The way you posted above, would simply send the “rel” parameter with a value of “nofollow” to the page you’re linking to.

3732 posts
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

No, it’s more like: <a href="http://....?ref=ToivoMedia" rel="nofollow">Link</a> The way you posted above, would simply send the “rel” parameter with a value of “nofollow” to the page you’re linking to.

Ah, in that case I may not be able to add it anyway. Since it is on the behance projects, where you just add the link in the field for the item that’s for sale. There’s no html code, just the link.

by
by
by
by
by
by