5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

This was my point when I said: Either make customer support mandatory and put the price up on the themes or… :)

I think that’s not an easy solution as it sounds. Because, lets assume an item priced 1x and 80% of purchasers doesn’t require support and 20% requires support. In such case, raising the price by 2x will not solve the issue since it will match only the small 20% cases while the remaining 80% forced to either live with high price or just utilize support; adding more burdain and expectations towards authors. At the same time, raising the price by 2x may still not be sufficient for the work done on support.

Similar to authors, Envato also sits on tough position I guess. What they need to improve is, make sure the rating system manages to affect sales only by objective feedbacks as possible. More works needs to be done rating system and how ratings reacts to items initial life and long term life etc.

(The 80 / 20 ratio is just my observation from my experience, I would say it could be even 90 / 10 or shorter too)


...make it bold that feedback can not be for customer support.

+1 @ Staff:
Why not this? Currently the rating comment list gives false guidance to the buyers. That is, encouraging buyers to rate based on support response?

631 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
UBLThemes says

I think that’s not an easy solution as it sounds. Because, lets assume an item is priced 1x and 80% of purchasers doesn’t require support and 20% requires support. In such case, raising the price by 2x will not solve the issue since it will match only the small 20% cases while the remaining 80% forced to either live with high price or just utilize support; adding more burdain and expectations towards authors. At the same time, raising the price by 2x may still not be sufficient for the work done on support.

Similar to authors, Envato also sits on tough position I guess. What they need to improve is, make sure the rating system manages to affect sales only by objective feedbacks as possible. More works needs to be done rating system and how ratings reacts to items initial life and long term life etc.

(The 80 / 20 ratio is just my observation from my experience, I would say it could be even 90 / 10 or shorter too)

Again my point is not against the review system or a 1 star rating, its the fact that Envato tells us authors that support is not needed, and then encourages the buyers that it is, by pushing customer support within the rating system instead of making it clear it is not allowed.

Customer Support is the very first instance when leaving a bad feedback!

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ Sorry for too many edits on my comment :D Btw, we both are saying the same! ;)

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I’d like to see little “notifications” when a customer chooses certain options. Here’s an example for “support”, where the support page could clearly state a time-frame for answering questions, which may have avoided a scenario like the one described in the OP.

The same notification would be useful for when someone selects one of the other options, such as “Bugs” or “Customizability”, where the notice could be changed to something like:

“For Bugs or customization concerns, we recommend contacting the author here…”
(if the author has “opted in” to support of course).

I’m sure we’ve all received a bad rating/review from someone who had no idea that support was even available.

95 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
erwin_schro says

This should be fixed right away and I believe it’ll only take a half day max to remove the customer support option for 1-2 stars.

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

This should be fixed right away and I believe it’ll only take a half day max to remove the customer support option for 1-2 stars.

Yes, that’s a good improvement. May be the “Customer support” showed only for the cases of 5 Star. otherwise, it has no reason to even exist on the list. (to obey the “support is not mandatory” system)

If buyer have to mention “Customer support” as a reason for 1 star etc, lets compel them to do it by typing it instead of picking from the list.

55 posts
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
preciouscoder says

This should be fixed right away and I believe it’ll only take a half day max to remove the customer support option for 1-2 stars.
+1
5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

It really is simple.

If author checks box to say support is offered, then its rateable.

If author unchecks support box, then the item cannot be negatively rated based on support.

Its a no brainer and would take mins to code.

95 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
erwin_schro says

Well it’s been 15 days…i think someone need to bump this.

28 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
aelia_co says

Almost 30 days, it would be nice to have some feedback from Envato team.

by
by
by
by
by
by