1552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

I’m interested in using some nice fonts for one of my next items, and I’ve found this website :
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
They say that fonts on that site are free for commercial use , does that mean we can use them in our work here?
Also, since I work with flash , I’m interested in embedding these fonts in flash files, is that allowed?
Also is there a difference If I load the font IN, as opposed to embed it in the .fla file , licence wise?

Where do you get your fonts from?
Thanks

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says
I’m interested in using some nice fonts for one of my next items, and I’ve found this website :
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
They say that fonts on that site are free for commercial use , does that mean we can use them in our work here?
Also, since I work with flash , I’m interested in embedding these fonts in flash files, is that allowed?
Also is there a difference If I load the font IN, as opposed to embed it in the .fla file , licence wise?
Where do you get your fonts from?
Thanks

Not exactly I think you can use it for commercial use once you buy it but still you cant sell them and any font edit by graphic designer should be under your name .

So for Third parties i think if you buy it the terms of this license, and retain no copies of the font on completion of the work. There is no place on there website say its free of use or reselling them under your license.

Where do i get my fonts from?

I make them (:

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

I’m using 2 fonts from FontSquirrel in my two templates. I recommend not to include them in your package, as this should be considered as “redistribution”, which is not allowed. Just put a reference to the download link in your help documentation, so users can download the font by themselves, which is allowed.

I think you’re not able to inlcude the font in the FLA . But not sure, better contact support to get sure about this.

1552 posts
+3 more
dSKY says
I’m using 2 fonts from FontSquirrel in my two templates. I recommend not to include them in your package, as this should be considered as “redistribution”, which is not allowed. Just put a reference to the download link in your help documentation, so users can download the font by themselves, which is allowed. I think you’re not able to inlcude the font in the FLA . But not sure, better contact support to get sure about this.

Cool,
So you load them externally ? If so, where are they hosted?
And what did you say to reviewers here on AD, about the fonts?

1677 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
Tean says

You dont load them externally, you embed them in the swf, but not include in the fla.

dafont.com has a great collection of fonts.

1552 posts
+3 more
dSKY says
You dont load them externally, you embed them in the swf, but not include in the fla. dafont.com has a great collection of fonts.
That’s what I meant, I create a swf file just for fonts and then load that file. And extract the fonts.
On dafont.com there are a lot of fonts , but for personal use.
3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

As Tean said, i just embed the desired characters in the fla, i do not use external swf for fonts. So user will need to download and install the fonts before opening/editing the fla. I do not include them in the package, just the download link. That’s all.

348 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Shaan_007 says

Dafont.com have many free fonts but some are free for personal use only, it’s a great site for free fonts

As pez and Tean said, you should embed the font, i think everyone uses this method

843 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
marcfolio says

Fonts are such a sticky subject. I don’t think type foundries have any clue about embedding fonts in flash they mostly consider fonts used for print or static graphics. That being said like pez I embed the font in the dynamic text file, but with my last file I also exported the font in the library. This allows the user to open the FLA and make edits, but they don’t have to install the actual font file.

I think creating an external font.swf would be a great idea.

It’s definitely a grey area, but at least we’re not posting links to the .otf or .ttf file like the CSS @font-face does. That’s certainly against most type foundries’ licensing.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

You better check the font license whether it is commercial free or personal free. If not please don’t use it.

by
by
by
by
by
by