3751 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says
It’s definitely a grey area, but at least we’re not posting links to the .otf or .ttf file like the CSS @font-face does. That’s certainly against most type foundries’ licensing.

I should say black instead of grey area… Yes, almost all foundries are not licensing their fonts for @font-face usage. Flash embeding is not that clear, as you’re not (supposedly) able to use the font in other way. Some places like http://www.fontspring.com are taking advantage of increasing @font-face to enter in the font online distribution market.

Things are not clear or easy, so i think the best procedure is to develop only with fonts able to be used commercially, and not include them in the package, just as a reference link. Then users will be responsible of use, not us. I know it’s like throwing the stone far in others roof, but i don’t know any better way, except creating your own fonts, of course, but that’s another story.

4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says
It’s definitely a grey area, but at least we’re not posting links to the .otf or .ttf file like the CSS @font-face does. That’s certainly against most type foundries’ licensing.

I should say black instead of grey area… Yes, almost all foundries are not licensing their fonts for @font-face usage. Flash embeding is not that clear, as you’re not (supposedly) able to use the font in other way. Some places like http://www.fontspring.com are taking advantage of increasing @font-face to enter in the font online distribution market.

Things are not clear or easy, so i think the best procedure is to develop only with fonts able to be used commercially, and not include them in the package, just as a reference link. Then users will be responsible of use, not us. I know it’s like throwing the stone far in others roof, but i don’t know any better way, except creating your own fonts, of course, but that’s another story.

Making your own font is very painful and let me ask you this :

When you embedding your font in your flash are you aware the perfect pixel issue font? Not all font are perfect you won’t notice this but if you apply them effects like blur glow many get shift even little fuzziness on the event not all but many even Arial, so that something is am facing all the time when i embed font in the library.

But once the user change them something i hear lots of cry baby (:

1554 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

Official response would be nice.

by
by
by