3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
pcgs51 says

I notice that some Wordpress themes here at ThemeForest come with an .html file and some themes do not. I recently purchased one that didn’t have an .html file. I find it frustrating to work with as I had hoped to open a template page in Dreamweaver to give me some visual feedback as I edited the css to suit my needs.

The files in my template were not commented well and the documentation while rated “Well Documented” was not all that robust. Some of the files had all the scripting in ONE huge long string. Thanks bunches. If I knew where to submit my review on that product I would be tempted to be a bit harsh on that account. But I haven’t contacted the developer and its possible he might find it constructive to know. So I need to be fair on that account.

ANYWAY —If I purchase a Wordpress template that does come with an .html file will I be able to get somewhat of a preview of how my site will look as I work along—or do I need to upload to the server for all my edits? or always work with MAMP ? Yeah I use a Mac.

Thanks.

738 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
Jar says

As for when you purchase a Wordpress template with an .html file, it usually depends on what the developer decides to put in that file that will show or not show; so having an .html file doesn’t necessarily mean it will provide much visual feedback within Dreamweaver.

Often even XHTML (Basically very strictly coded HTML ) pages aren’t displayed correctly within Dreamweaver, so I’d recommend using a browser to check updates either way.

As for the templates that you feel aren’t documented properly, you can always leave comments on the template’s comment page.

Hope this helped.

3 posts
pcgs51 says

Thanks Jared,

It would be nice if in the description of the products and/or your rating system IF there were a way to communicate which templates do and which ones do not provide some sort of visual feedback.

We all know that Dreamweaver doesn’t give us accurate previews on anything we work on pretty much EVER . That’s why we browser test. However, I would like to be empowered with the information, before I make a purchase, regarding which templates will be a little more user friendly than the next one. The one I purchased really sorta wasn’t so I wound up here. Thanks.

146 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
0703 says

if you wanna play with wordpress on your windows its highly recommended that you also get used to programs and softwares like – wamp or xamp for windows or mamp on a mac.

with those programs you can make yourself an apache-server and you can test, play and see your themes in action. dreamweaver also allows you to setup a “ftp” connection to this server which makes it possible to open and load your files in dreamweaver, update, change, rewrite, optimize, test, and reupload them back in dreamweaver to your apache installation and make this .php files visual.

a local wordpress installation is hihgly recommended if you wanna test and play with your theme, make it perfect and also fill it with content to see the final result. wordpress needs mysql to run, either on a local installation with win/mac or a ftp server with your hosting company.

you miss a documentation on how a special page in your themeworks? a documentation on how for example a wordpress page.php with comment.php works you wont find here, to find out how it works and why the php codes are needed in this page.php you can read on the wordpress.org. wordpress itselfs requires no knowledge, you could run it out of the box, if you wanna make some changes on permalinks, maybe adding and activating a plugin – youll need to read the codex first, to make sure you change/add the code/plugin at the right place

anyway to be fair to you and to the authors, the documentation in any wordpress theme you purchase on themeforest tell you the main things of this theme – the handling, the installation, the activation of all kind of things, the usage, the creation of pages, the deeplinking, the installation of a contact plugin and needed codes in a page for example, a resizing of the logo or using the widgets – or whats possible with widgets in your wordpress. thats not their job to teach you how to use wordpress!!

Some of the files had all the scripting in ONE huge long string. Thanks bunches.
is it possible that you opened the functions.php??

and another important question, did you install/upload this purchased theme on your ftp server to see how it works, widgets, this special funtions coming with the them ( functions can be anything from changing the logo, adding google code to change link colours and css settings to adding a portfolio section ….) ?

instructions for a local installation – http://wpcandy.com/articles/tutorials/how-to-setup-wordpress-locally-on-windows.html

wamp – http://www.wampserver.com/en/

xamp – http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646

another tutorial – http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/08/25/how-to-install-wordpress-on-your-windows-pc/

127 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
Veuse says

You can actually see if there is html included in the right column on the theme page.

Personally I don’t include html unless I actually have made a html-template of it.

I also run a php/apache/mysql testserver locally on my pc for testing. It’s easy to install on PC, end even easier on Mac after what I have heard.

3 posts
pcgs51 says

@0703

I’m very familiar with editing and installing many, many iterations of CMS and XAMP since 2004. Just don’t happen to have it installed these days. BTW , I purchased MAMP Pro last night—so this will all go away soon. But the template I purchased did not have the ease to edit that many of the free templates at Wordpress offer. That was a drag. To be fair it does have many fine features that make it worthy of purchase. I would have paid more for that template but been more unhappy if the quality was the same as this one.

And for the record, the long string files were .js files (one of them I might have edited) but the one that got me bugged was a .css file in a long string. That’s just not right. I’m viewing the source in DW.

@Phi

I simply wasn’t paying attention before my purchase. Now I know what questions to ask. Since I purchased MAMP I won’t need to deal with workarounds. I’ve installed it on a PC before, good to hear its simpler on a Mac. ;-)

I wrote to the developer of the latest template I might jump to. They listed HTML however when I wrote to her, she admitted that was a mistake and there was no HTML .

Thanks to all.

by
by
by
by
by
by