894 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
infuse01 says

Hi everybody,

Lately I’ve been wondering how do you create your Site Templates. Sometimes when I create a Site Template I’m rather using PHP for including files or outsource the settings into a separate file.

But how do you do?

Are you also making .php files with your site template. For sure, for a contact form you’re most likely using PHP , isn’t it? Is it allowed in the Site Template Section to upload site templates with PHP Files? Any troubles?

Thanks in advance

213 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
DanThemes says

I use only .html for the page of the theme (for the contact page as well, and yes the contact form is working) and .php for the scripts (obviously :D ), because although it takes more time I find it to be a lot easier to customize.

894 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
infuse01 says

So I guess it’s allowed to use PHP Files in Site Templates. How do you integrate some sort of settings or when your client has modified the template how can he/she get updates without the need of re-modifying again?

197 posts I'm a Husky Designer
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
designcrumbs says

An HTML version of your template is required. You can make it in PHP even as the primary version, but you must include an HTML version as well. Thems the rules.

182 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
hogash says

Good question!

I always include the html files but also some php “helpers” like: contact form script, a php gallery file (it ease up adding images to gallery), timthumb (php image resizer) etc.

I personally would’ve liked if it was a php version where i could include a single menu.php file, footer.php file, header etc. but there are just few users who use this technique so i think it’s better to have all files html (or mostly).

Good luck!

by
by
by
by
by
by