I’ve been looking at a lot of themes and most of them have what are called “portfolios”, are these essentially just alternate content (blog) layouts?
From what I can tell, most of them appear to be a collection of blog posts in various grid layouts.
Am I missing something?
Yeah, they are basically different layouts that pull certain posts. its just a better way to display the portfolio.
What would be the best way to do this though? Just some clever layout that only pulls posts from the “Portfolio” Category or use WordPress 3 custom post types?
Thanks for the replies.
So portfolio is just a fancy way of saying, “Hey, here are a bunch of additional layouts you can use with some additional features”.
Thanks for the replies. So portfolio is just a fancy way of saying, “Hey, here are a bunch of additional layouts you can use with some additional features”.
Yeah, sort of. I’d think of it this way: Every piece of content in WordPress is a “post” with a given type, which might be “Post”, “Page”, or a custom type like “Portfolio”.
Portfolios in themes provide two functions at their most basic, though there is lots of room for creativity:
1. Filtering. The “Portfolio Items” that are displayed are filtered content based on things like Category, Post Type, Author, Tag, Date, etc.
2. Layout and styling. The items are displayed in a “Portfolio Format” – and what that means depends on the theme, but they tend to focus on featured media (images or videos) and some vital stats (title, date maybe), and are often in a grid layout, but may be available in multiple sizes to cater to different use cases.
Anyway, as a designer/developer, that’s my take.
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.