438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says

I’ve been looking at a lot of themes and most of them have what are called “portfolios”, are these essentially just alternate content (blog) layouts?

From what I can tell, most of them appear to be a collection of blog posts in various grid layouts.

Am I missing something?

228 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
stevebluck says

Yeah, they are basically different layouts that pull certain posts. its just a better way to display the portfolio.

3466 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Though in WordPress 3 they could also be displays of custom post types (i.e. “Portfolio” posts) that would not otherwise show up in the normal blog by default.

7 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
theokie says

What would be the best way to do this though? Just some clever layout that only pulls posts from the “Portfolio” Category or use WordPress 3 custom post types?

438 posts
christopherjon says

Thanks for the replies.

So portfolio is just a fancy way of saying, “Hey, here are a bunch of additional layouts you can use with some additional features”.

3466 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says
Thanks for the replies. So portfolio is just a fancy way of saying, “Hey, here are a bunch of additional layouts you can use with some additional features”.

Yeah, sort of. I’d think of it this way: Every piece of content in WordPress is a “post” with a given type, which might be “Post”, “Page”, or a custom type like “Portfolio”.

Portfolios in themes provide two functions at their most basic, though there is lots of room for creativity:

1. Filtering. The “Portfolio Items” that are displayed are filtered content based on things like Category, Post Type, Author, Tag, Date, etc.

2. Layout and styling. The items are displayed in a “Portfolio Format” – and what that means depends on the theme, but they tend to focus on featured media (images or videos) and some vital stats (title, date maybe), and are often in a grid layout, but may be available in multiple sizes to cater to different use cases.

Anyway, as a designer/developer, that’s my take. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by