438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
christopherjon says

I’ve been looking at a lot of themes and most of them have what are called “portfolios”, are these essentially just alternate content (blog) layouts?

From what I can tell, most of them appear to be a collection of blog posts in various grid layouts.

Am I missing something?

228 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
stevebluck says

Yeah, they are basically different layouts that pull certain posts. its just a better way to display the portfolio.

3424 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Though in WordPress 3 they could also be displays of custom post types (i.e. “Portfolio” posts) that would not otherwise show up in the normal blog by default.

7 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
theokie says

What would be the best way to do this though? Just some clever layout that only pulls posts from the “Portfolio” Category or use WordPress 3 custom post types?

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says

Thanks for the replies.

So portfolio is just a fancy way of saying, “Hey, here are a bunch of additional layouts you can use with some additional features”.

3424 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
Thanks for the replies. So portfolio is just a fancy way of saying, “Hey, here are a bunch of additional layouts you can use with some additional features”.

Yeah, sort of. I’d think of it this way: Every piece of content in WordPress is a “post” with a given type, which might be “Post”, “Page”, or a custom type like “Portfolio”.

Portfolios in themes provide two functions at their most basic, though there is lots of room for creativity:

1. Filtering. The “Portfolio Items” that are displayed are filtered content based on things like Category, Post Type, Author, Tag, Date, etc.

2. Layout and styling. The items are displayed in a “Portfolio Format” – and what that means depends on the theme, but they tend to focus on featured media (images or videos) and some vital stats (title, date maybe), and are often in a grid layout, but may be available in multiple sizes to cater to different use cases.

Anyway, as a designer/developer, that’s my take. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by