16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
afg89 says

Hello everyone,

The company I work for has recently finished some awesome PHP scripts and WordPress plugins. We would like to start selling them on the Envato marketplace. However we would like release our scripts/plugins on the marketplace and release updates (exclusively for verified buyers using Envato API) on our own platform.

It should be noted we still intend to release bug-fix updates through Envato however updates that will contain new features will have to be downloaded from our own platform (free of charge of course).

So essentially we are doing this to prevent release of our scripts on warez sites and to encourage people to buy it from the marketplace. But before doing this, we would like to know if Envato will allow such a thing and while we are at it we would like to know what buyers think.

Maxime

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

welcome.

I am pretty sure this isnt allowed. Plus there is no way of knowing who all of your buyers are. The envato API doesnt extend to exposing who your buyers are.

16 posts
afg89 says

Australia,

Thanks your quick answer. I am still not sure why this would not be allowed – I have read the TOS and I can’t find anything that says this is not allowed.

The way we were thinking of doing this is as follows:

1. Release script at CodeCanyon and mention that updates will be released on our platform 2. Users use purchase code to create an account and get notified when major updates are available

This is would be very similar to how most authors provide support. An answer from a staff would be appreciated.

2282 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I’m not entirely sure about the correct answer – I do know however that if you are an exclusive author then you cannot do this as it’s against the exclusive agreement of offering a product in more than one place (free, paid, update or whatever) is not allowed.

Jonathan

2042 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

I’m not entirely sure about the correct answer – I do know however that if you are an exclusive author then you cannot do this as it’s against the exclusive agreement of offering a product in more than one place (free, paid, update or whatever) is not allowed. Jonathan

You CAN provide updates as exclusive author. I do and many others as well.

Check this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/codecanyon-wordpress-plugins-how-to-check-for-updates-plugin/77792?page=1#662038

+8 more
jonathan01 says

I’m not entirely sure about the correct answer – I do know however that if you are an exclusive author then you cannot do this as it’s against the exclusive agreement of offering a product in more than one place (free, paid, update or whatever) is not allowed. Jonathan

You CAN provide updates as exclusive author. I do and many others as well.

Check this thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/codecanyon-wordpress-plugins-how-to-check-for-updates-plugin/77792?page=1#662038

Unfortunately that thread doesn’t seem to have an official reply, answer or statement – best to not guess and wait until there is an official reply here I think. However I have to ask, why on earth would an author NOT want to have the latest version (bug free and with latest options) available to their existing buyers and offer to new buyers right here on the marketplace?

Also to confirm the actual statement from the OP is:

“It should be noted we still intend to release bug-fix updates through Envato however updates that will contain new features will have to be downloaded from our own platform (free of charge of course).

Therefore this is basically the same item but with ADDED features – now I know that with WP themes we are not allowed, as an exclusive author, to offer basically the same item with added options for sale, free or distributed anywhere else – I already asked about this and got an official response.

Jonathan

PS – I flagged the post for an official reply – hopefully we can all find out soon :)

3264 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
organicbee says

WordPress Theme wise the api allows authors to update via files hosted by envato ( there’s no documentation on it ) as for plugins I don’t think they’ve added it yet.

As for having updates hosted else where there was a thread a while back that said it wasn’t allowed ( official )

16 posts
afg89 says

Thanks guys for your answer, I really appreciate it.

Jonathan, we want to do this to discourage users from downloading it from warez sites. I have seen a lot of authors work hard to add new features (even though they are not required and can release it as totally new item) and their item including the latest features shared for free on the web.

A staff response would be appreciated to clarify this.

Maxime

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Hi again – yes we are still waiting for a reply – I have flagged your original post yet again… hopefully someone is hanging around not enjoying the sun and will reply :)

You will never stop people from sharing stuff they don’t want to pay for – concentrate on giving those that pay a better experience. Offering updates on a different website to that they purchased from and get messages from etc isn’t a good experience in my opinion. Offering updates on a different site will not stop this from happening I’m afraid, if they are determined they will work around things.

Jonathan

5629 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+13 more
KingDog Envato team says

Your best option is to open a ticket with the Support team so that they can forward it to the proper people – http://support.envato.com/ You’re welcome to post the results when you hear back :)

by
by
by
by
by
by