• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Portugal
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
BurningRabbit says

Hi everyone!

First of all, I know this discussion has been taken before, but I feel that a lot of things were missing. I would also like to say that FlashDen is a great website and an opportunity to flash developers to learn and show their work in a unique way. It’s exactly because I think FlashDen is a great website that I felt the need to help and let you know what I think could be better.

FlashDen is growing fast and the queue times are not even near what we could expect. I asked this same questions to editors and I got the answer that flashDen is the fastest website approving files, because they do it in 1 to 2 days, when others take up to 3 weeks.

Ok; let’s look at the facts then.

FlashDen has 4.982 files and takes 2 days to review 35 files in the queue. Istockphoto.com adds 27.000+ images/videos/flash/ilustrations per week. This means that if Istockphoto was as fast as FD then they would take 1.542,85 days to review what they do in a week. This also means that if FlashDen files were reviewed by Istockphoto editors, they would take about 15,6 minutes to review 35 files. ( Information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IStockPhoto ) It looks a little ridiculous and ofcourse IstockPhoto is on-line since May 2000, but this takes me to my question.

If FD is taking 2 days to review 35 files now, how long will FD last before they get stuck with an impossible queue?

FlashDen should show more credibility to sellers, by showing more respect in the queue management. Very often I see a lot of editors on-line and no one managing the queue. In today’s world time is critical and for sellers, being able to manage their release times or fixes is also very important. I will only accept the excuse of being fast if the queue is continually managed. This is surely not happening. Then if a year from now FD takes 3 weeks to review 27.000 files.. That’s FAST !

BTW : The excuse of not reviewing files because they don’t show up on the homepage makes no sense.

I wish the best to all FD team, and hope to have showed my point.

3868 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
flashjunkie says

sure we could all work 8 hours a day and review 50 files each… but then how many sales would your file get when its on page 5 :)

30 a day are reviewed maximum, as its only fair that every file gets some exposure on page 1 :)

Jay

109 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Steven_B says

Flashjunkie has a point most sales occure when there in the first few pages, and directlly on the homepage as new items.

3072 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

i like it how it is…

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+1 more
LucidStudios says
sure we could all work 8 hours a day and review 50 files each… but then how many sales would your file get when its on page 5 :)

30 a day are reviewed maximum, as its only fair that every file gets some exposure on page 1 :)

Jay

I totally agree with you. In my experience the stay of any file on the first page is very important. Because there are many many regular buyers who keep their eyes on the first page of flash category for new files: http://activeden.net/category/flash

If we approve more than 30 at a time then chances are that the sales will not be much.

Another important aspect is that we now have a more strict copyright policy and authors don’t follow the simple rules.

@Triworks

I approved 5 files a while ago and skipped your file because you have not mentioned how you own the images. If you have had specified a just a single line then it wouldn’t have a problem for me to approve the file straight away. You could simply have wriiten a single line in the comments for reviews field, like: “These images were shoot by us”

If every author follow the simple rules then the approval time can be 100% faster. http://www.flashden.net/upload/help?type=flash

282 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
BurningRabbit says

Jay

Hi flashjunkie;

I’m sorry flashjunkie but that makes no sense at all. What you are saying is that FD is limited to 30 files each editor/day, then what happens to all the other files? Get accumulated over time. If a queue is continually managed, sellers will be forced to create more files to get more exposure and this way FD will grow faster don´t you think? Also, FD will have more diversity and be a better place to find what you need.

FD isn´t suppose to be good to sellers, I think the main point is to provide a good service and diversity to buyers. Everyone seems to be a little eager to make all the money out of FD. And to be truth with you I don´t really think editors should be eligible to sell files.

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+1 more
LucidStudios says

This is what happens if a file doesn’t stay on the first page for few minutes: http://www.flashden.net/forums/thread/flow-template/3033

282 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
BurningRabbit says

Hi SaafiDesign;

About skiping the files because of the images. You should assume we already know the policy. All our images are free or public domain. We agree with the terms by checking the copyright box on the upload.

The delay only happens because the assents on flashDen don´t meet our requirements. For instance Images are too small. Because if the quality of the assets where good we had no need to find other images. (Maybe we may just donate some! )

Still I am happy with FD I just think the queue times is something that could easily fixed.

282 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
BurningRabbit says
This is what happens if a file doesn’t stay on the first page for few minutes: http://www.flashden.net/forums/thread/flow-template/3033

Shouldn’t there be more thumbnails of the files on the homepage then? And new files would come to the top?

There are only 19 files on the homepage.

3868 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
flashjunkie says

im not saying we only approve the 30 files, you have to remember that the reject/approve ratio is like 2-1 so we could approve 90 files and still be good… and then there is the file updates :)

Jay

by
by
by
by
by
by