844 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
chrisatlemon says

hi all,

Just got a soft rejection because my PS file contained a folder/layer called “logo”.

Quick fix of course, I have resubmitted already. But I’m wondering why? Here’s the official reply:

“We cannot accept any files that include reference to the terms logo as this can cause potential copyright issues, please alter any layers named as such (to symbol, your logo goes here e.t.c) “

So does that mean somebody actually has the copyright on the word “logo”?

That’s pretty amazing! I actually had to read that twice to understand where he was getting at. At first I thought I may have chosen a logo image that was too similar to something else … Until I read carefully and understood that calling a layer/folder “logo” could be Copyright trouble.

Why is this? Just out of interest…

Cheers

Chris

913 posts
    Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in South Africa Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
joiaco says

Here in South Africa, if you call something a ‘logo’ (anything at all) then it implies that it has been through the copyrighting process and is therefore the intellectual property of someone, even if it is just a symbol. There are always arguments going on about who owns which logo/symbol, and court cases are filed all the time contesting the differences between the two – as well as what constitutes an owned ‘word’.

997 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
mudi says

Same like Amazon named their store “App store” (which sounds generic) but word “App” copyright holder is Apple ^^.

844 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
chrisatlemon says

@joiaco: ah, that makes sense. Basically preventing that later down the road I can call in a copyright ownership on the logo of the trifold.

@mudi: Interesting, however with the word “App” it makes a little more sense because that’s a actually an artificial word. But “logo” I would assume forms part of the general vocabulary, just like the word “pen”, I don’t think anyone can own copyright for that?

Cheers

Chris

997 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
mudi says
chrisatlemon said
@joiaco: ah, that makes sense. Basically preventing that later down the road I can call in a copyright ownership on the logo of the trifold.

@mudi: Interesting, however with the word “App” it makes a little more sense because that’s a actually an artificial word. But “logo” I would assume forms part of the general vocabulary, just like the word “pen”, I don’t think anyone can own copyright for that?

Cheers

Chris

Yeah I agree with you but App is widely used as short form of Application so Amazon didn’t think about any copyright issues relayed to this word so at the end Apple sued Amazon for using that word lol

by
by
by
by
by
by