• Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
AdamGold said
So the internal HDD can actually perform as an external HDD ? Even for Windows?

Of course. It’s just an ordinary 2.5” HDD that you’d find in any external drive. You can’t boot any OS off it obviously. USB isn’t fast enough.

753 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
AdamGold says
AlexPascal said
AdamGold said
Of course. It’s just an ordinary 2.5” HDD that you’d find in any external drive. You can’t boot any OS off it obviously. USB isn’t fast enough.
I really appreciate your answers to my annoying questions, thank you! :)

If I choose to do just like you, 120GB SSD without internal HDD how do I move everything to the SSD before I plug off the HDD ? Is this what SuperDuper! does? But where does the backup go? Didn’t find it in their website.

BTW

What encolsure did you buy for replacing the HDD with the SSD ?

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
AdamGold said
AlexPascal said
AdamGold said

If I choose to do just like you, 120GB SSD without internal HDD how do I move everything to the SSD before I plug off the HDD ? Is this what SuperDuper! does? But where does the backup go? Didn’t find it in their website.

BTW

Unfortunately, the SSD I purchased was not pre-formatted so my MBP did not recognize it when I put it in the external case and connected it via USB so I had to put it in the MBP , pop in the Snow Leopard recovery disk, go into Disk Utility, format it, remove it, put the original HDD back in, put the SSD in the external case, connect it, clone the HDD to the SSD with SuperDuper!, then take out the HDD , put the SSD back in, and put the HDD into the external case and delete everything from it.

In other words, if the SSD was pre-formatted and the MBP would have recognized it, it would have saved me a ton of time. By the way, you’re going to need to format the SSD to the Extended Mac Journaled format or whatever it’s called.

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B002JQNXZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323634617&sr=8-1 and I highly highly highly recommend it. It’s extremely cheap but it feels incredible. It looks great (it comes with a faux leather pouch which is pretty nice, actually) and it just feels very solid and sturdy and has a great finish to it. Literally worth every penny. I highly recommend it if you can get it in your country.

Edit: And no problem. :) I really wished someone helped me when I was doing this so I’m glad to help!

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says
AlexPascal said
AdamGold said
AlexPascal said
AdamGold said

BTW

Unfortunately, the SSD I purchased was not pre-formatted so my MBP did not recognize it when I put it in the external case and connected it via USB so I had to put it in the MBP , pop in the Snow Leopard recovery disk, go into Disk Utility, format it, remove it, put the original HDD back in, put the SSD in the external case, connect it, clone the HDD to the SSD with SuperDuper!, then take out the HDD , put the SSD back in, and put the HDD into the external case and delete everything from it.

In other words, if the SSD was pre-formatted and the MBP would have recognized it, it would have saved me a ton of time. By the way, you’re going to need to format the SSD to the Extended Mac Journaled format or whatever it’s called.

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B002JQNXZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323634617&sr=8-1 and I highly highly highly recommend it. It’s extremely cheap but it feels incredible. It looks great (it comes with a faux leather pouch which is pretty nice, actually) and it just feels very solid and sturdy and has a great finish to it. Literally worth every penny. I highly recommend it if you can get it in your country.

Edit: And no problem. :) I really wished someone helped me when I was doing this so I’m glad to help!

Wait I didn’t fully understand. Do I need the enclosure to support Mac or the actual SSD ?

And why does the encoslure even matter? (I mean why buy this one and not something else)

I buy a Crucial SSD so I guess the MBP will recognize it, right? If so, what will I have to do?

Edit:

Found these two in my country:

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/177 for 30$
http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/229 for 25$

Which one should I get?

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

Wait why do you need encoslure if you use the HDD as external HDD ? What’s the use of the encolsure?

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
AdamGold said
Wait why do you need encoslure if you use the HDD as external HDD ? What’s the use of the encolsure?

How are you going to connect the HDD through USB when it’s outside your computer? :-P SSD ’s and HDD ’s (at least modern ones) connect through a SATA interface so the external “case” is 1) a cover for the case and 2) a SATA to USB converter (or whatever you need it to go to, there’s difference cases for each type of connection).

You don’t need anything for the SSD that is going in your computer. It’ll fit perfectly in there.

Edit: I’m not urging you to get a NexStar as I’m not sure of the quality of every one of their products but the one I got was because it was super cheap ($7 compared to the $30 that you found) and it turned out to be of excellent quality both performance and durability/build wise. There are other much better brands of cases for the $25-30 range, I’m sure.

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

Ah I got it, thanks! :) I can also buy a SATA to USB converter right?

Does the encolsure cover all of the HDD ? So it will stick in it and I won’t have to put it in again and again?

Now important question:

I buy a Crucial SSD so I guess the MBP will recognize it, right? If so, what will I have to do?

Thank you very much, you’re awesome I understood the whole thing thanks to you! :)

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
AdamGold said
Ah I got it, thanks! :) I can also buy a SATA to USB converter right?

Does the encolsure cover all of the HDD ? So it will stick in it and I won’t have to put it in again and again?

Now important question:

Thank you very much, you’re awesome I understood the whole thing thanks to you! :)

The enclosure covers the entire HDD . It’s a case for it. It’s hidden inside and there is a USB port on the side and it comes with a cable to connect to your computer.

Hopefully it will otherwise you will need to format it first if it’s not pre-formatted.

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

Okay so if it will support Mac, then how will I move everything from the HDD to the SSD ?

And what’s the best way to discharge static electricity? Can I just touch a metal fork? :D

Thanks!

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

Alex? :)

by